You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Wednesday, May 26th 2010, 11:49pm

Yugoslav News, 2Q 1939

Novosti New Services – Kragujevac – Saturday, 8 April 1939

His Highness Crown Prince Petar graced the dedication of the new ‘Queen Maria’ Industrial Housing Estate here. Built primarily to house the recently expanded worker population of the Zastava Ordnance and Zastava Truck factories, the estate was design on the model of the great Viennese municipal housing estates. The ‘Queen Maria’ complex contains 1,382 apartments, varying in size from thirty to sixty square metres, designed to house some 5,000 people. The many amenities included in the complex are play areas for children, gardens, baths, kindergartens, doctors’ and business offices as well as shops and restaurants.

Novosti News Service – Belgrade – Friday, 28 April 1939

The Defence Ministry announced today it had reached an agreement with the German government to purchase additional quantities of Bf109A fighter aircraft and Ju87B dive bombers from the Luftwaffe’s surplus inventory to meet the urgent requirements of the Air Force. At the same time it revealed that it had placed orders in the United Kingdom for quantities of Miles Master advanced training aircraft.

Novosti New Service – Belgrade – Sunday, 7 May 1939

Responding to persistent inquiries, the Office of the Prime Minister has announced the appointment of Minister without Portfolio Boris Furlan to lead the Yugoslav delegation to Geneva, where he will meet with his Bulgarian counterpart, Dimitar Peshev, to discuss the resolution of border disputes and questions of minorities. In a statement to the press Minister Furlan was quoted as saying:

“I look forward to my meetings with Commissioner Peshev in the firm belief that frank discussions between us can lead to a final, peaceful and beneficial settlement of outstanding issues that have long disturbed relations between us. A democratic society cannot ignore the legitimate desires of its people for change and the remediation of past wrongs. At this time I cannot predict the final outcome, but it is my intent to remain in Geneva working for better relations between Yugoslavia and Bulgaria until that aim is achieved, or the Prime Minister directs me to return.”

Novosti News Service – Kucova – Monday, 19 June 1939

The first barrels of crude oil flowed from the National Petroleum Company’s field here, with six wells currently producing 3,000 barrels of heavy crude oil per day. Discovered in 1928 the Kucova Oilfield has been under development for several years and the opening the ‘Aleksandr’ pipeline has opened the gates to this important resource for national development.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "BruceDuncan" (Jun 7th 2010, 7:34pm)

Wednesday, May 26th 2010, 11:50pm

Delivery Status Report, 30 June 1939

Delivery Status Report, 30 June 1939

Deliveries this quarter under FY38 procurement contracts

Explosia – Cordite – 75 tonnes
Explosia – Trotyl – 75 tonnes
First Brno – Rifle Barrels – 5,000
First Brno – Rifle Receivers – 5,000

Deliveries this quarter under FY39 procurement contracts

Skoda 6LT 2-ton Truck – 109
Skoda 6ST 4-ton Truck – 60
Skoda VL2 2-ton Trailer – 28
Tatra 93 2-ton Truck – 109
Tatra 111 10-ton Truck – 30
Ford 91 1-ton Chassis – 180
General Motors CC-453 3-ton Truck - 400

FlaK33 88mm Heavy AA Gun (M39) – 24
Krauss Maffei Half Track Tractor – 24
Krauss Maffei Half Track Service Vehicle – 4

Aircraft Deliveries

Bayerische Flugzeugwerke Bf109A – 26 (ex. Luftwaffe) (Military)
Junkers Ju87B – 24 (ex. Luftwaffe) (Military)
Lockheed Model 18-08 Lodestar – 2 (Civil)
Lockheed Model 212 – 18 (Military)

LT.38 Tank Production at the State Locomotive Works

Apr 1939 – 12
May 1939 – 15
Jun 1939 – 18

Thursday, May 27th 2010, 2:18am

‘Queen Maria’ Industrial Housing Estate

‘Queen Maria’ Industrial Housing Estate

Monday, June 7th 2010, 7:36pm

Prime Minister's Address

Parliament, Belgrade, Wednesday 28 June, 1939

Nikola Karasec strode down the centre aisle of the Parliamentary Chamber to the applause of the assembled members – thunderous from his supporters in the National Democratic Party, polite from the members of the Opposition. He mounted the rostrum and stood, allowing himself a moment’s pause of satisfaction while the Chamber came to order.

“It has been some months since I have had the opportunity to address Parliament on the state of the nation,” he began. “Since the Government took office we have achieved much….” Thunderous applause broke out, and Karasec paused to let it subside. “… we have achieved much, but much more remains to be done. The programme of national renewal must be taken to the next level.”

“Access to basic medical care is a luxury for too many of our citizens – and in the last session I asked you to approve the establishment of a national Civilian Air Ambulance Service. This you approved…” Applause again interrupted the Prime Minister. “… and the nation thanks you for it. But we must do more. I shall introduce legislation to establish a system of rural clinics to bring the health care services now available to the residents of our cities to even the poorest peasant in the countryside.”

This drew applause from all the members – even the Traditionalists. The disparity in access to basic services was something they had long railed against.

“Education”, the Prime Minister continued, “is another area in which we must improve not only access for all children but for all citizens. I shall be presenting to Parliament a comprehensive programme of expanded primary education, improved secondary and technical education, and widening opportunities for students to attend University here and abroad. I shall ask Parliament for 440 million dinar to fund construction of new schools in the course of the next four years.”

There was an audible gasp among some of the members of Parliament; 440 million dinar they knew was little more than a drop in the bucket, but that the Government actually proposed to spend that much on basic education was breathtaking. And still the Prime Minister continued.

“The Government can only do so much to lead the way in the modernisation of the nation. I am committed to improving the national infrastructure, and will bring to you a programme of road and railway construction that will ease the burden of moving crops from the countryside to the cities and goods from the cities to the countryside. The Government is actively seeking partners abroad for investment in the manufacture of motor cars and tractors.” Here Karasec paused.

“But the basic issue is poverty – and we can only attack that at its source. We must pull ourselves up by our bootstraps and make use of the greatest resource available to this nation – its people. I will introduce legislation to this house to create an organisation dedicated to using the knowledge, skills and abilities of our citizens to work together to attack successively barriers in the countryside and in the cities that keep us as a nation from fulfilling the destiny we all share. I call upon the youth of our nation; those who have benefited from the educational opportunities afforded them, to join the Volunteers in Service to the Nation, and work to eliminate poverty, hunger and disease where ever they may exist.”

The members of parliament seemed to stand as one in an ovation, their applause sustained for several minutes. No one ever said that Nikola Karasec gave bad speeches; but what won for him the admiration of even his opponents was his willingness to try to fulfill the promises he made, and the success with which he did fulfill them. At last they allowed him to continue.

“We continue to cherish the friendship of our neighbors, and seek to move towards closer bonds of amity and cooperation. We seek to expand the relations we have with the European neighbors who have traditionally been our friends, and we reach out to new friends across the Atlantic – in Canada and the United States. It is my pleasure to announce here today that Yugoslavia and Atlantis have agreed to exchange diplomatic representatives and enter into discussions of mutual benefit.” Karasec paused a moment to allow his words to sink in. “And we extend the hand of friendship to those nations with whom we have had differences. As we speak Minister Furlan is in Geneva, in negotiations with his Bulgarian counterpart, to resolve the questions of our mutual border. To date, the discussions have been fruitful; it is my fervent hope that I shall soon have more definitive word to lay before this House.”

“But let not our willingness to negotiate be taken by any as a sign of weakness. The reform of the Armed Forces continues, and they are prepared to defend the nation against any external threat. By land, by sea or in the air we will oppose any invader to our utmost. I shall continue to ask his House to vote the appropriations necessary to modernize our Armed Forces in the face of the challenges before us.”

At this the Traditionalists led the applause. Initially they had opposed Karasec’s programme of military reforms, but the modern weapons and equipment the Government had procured had boosted the pride and confidence of the rank-and-file supporters of the Traditionalists. The need for a strong nation was something all Yugoslavs could agree on.

“In conclusion I continue to say – Yugoslavia can be a model for all of Europe – a nation dedicated to peace and prosperity for its citizens, zealous in the cause of peace. Let us continue to go forward together, Crown and People!”

Continued chants of “Crown and People” continued amid the applause that followed the Prime Minister’s address.

Monday, June 7th 2010, 10:16pm

Where is the money coming from? Has Yugoslavia suddenly discovered a massive stash of gold? For an economy that is basically just subsistence agriculture and a smattering of heavy industry these plans are pretty much just a pipedream.