You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Friday, June 16th 2006, 1:13am

Re: HD crash...

My hard drive croaked yesterday and I'll be rather busy the next few days trying to restore things. Most important, Wesworld related items were backed up a couple of weeks ago, so there is minimal loss there.

Friday, June 16th 2006, 6:25am

I feel your pain, everything in my computer has been replaced for one reason or another. HD, motherboard, graphics card and CD-Rom have all been replaced.

The HD crash was the worst though, I lost alot of drawings when that happened. Hopefully the bulk of your stuff was saved.

Friday, June 16th 2006, 8:22am

I burned my entire Wesworld directory to disk two weeks ago. The one good side of not being able to see that well is that I haven't done much work since then. I think I only lost one file, and a couple updates to reports that i can reconstitute easily. Right now I'm running XP on a seven year old 12 Gigger that came out of an old Gateway. Over the weekend I'll go HD shopping. Then its a matter of rebuilding from disks, etc...

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Friday, June 16th 2006, 4:14pm

Lucky me I never sufferred a HD crash.

Back ups are an important thing. I have all my WesWorld stuff on

a) my desktop
b) my laptop and
c) on an external 80GB TrakStor USB drive I use now and then.

Even if things are not always up to date on all drives it is highly unlikely I´ll ever suffer a total loss of my data.

Friday, June 16th 2006, 7:58pm

I've been pondering picking up an external USB hard drive myself. It may be a good idea.

Saturday, June 17th 2006, 4:40am

With USB 1.1, they're extremely slow to transfer stuff, just so you're warned.

Saturday, June 17th 2006, 2:26pm

With the Abaccus 4000 BC here aging, and it's now limited storage space, I've added an external hard drive myself. I picked up a 160 gig My Book for $100 US. And while I'm on USB 1.1, it's worked great since I installed it.

What I really need next is a USB splitter, since the PC only has three USB ports and I now have 6 USB devices...

Saturday, June 17th 2006, 9:45pm

My last computer had USB ports up the ying yang, 4 IIRC. 600mghz just wasn't enough for gaming however.