You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Wednesday, August 6th 2003, 5:43pm

AWNR India, 9 May 1921

AWNR India: 9 May 1921

1. The Raj Arrives in Durban
2. Violence in Al Salif
3. Kalyan launched

1. The Raj Arrives in Durban

The first state visit by the Raj in nine years has formally begun. This morning, the passenger liner Gujurat , flanked by the “Swans of the South Atlantic” - RSAN Hertog Alexander and Hertog Rijnhard - arrived off Durban. Accompanied by South Africa’s First Scout Squadron, elements of the Third Torpedo Boat Flotilla, and India's own cruiser Port Blair and four destroyers, the elegant, opulent liner made her way toward Pier One. There a cheering crowd estimated at eight thousand people awaited, and at nearby piers, the crews of numerous other South African warships turned out on deck to salute the leader of South Africa’s new ally. As the fleet flagship, RSAN South Africa , fired off a salute worthy of a visiting sovereign, the Gujurat eased up to the pier and began throwing lines down to the waiting longshoremen.

Within five minutes, the gangplank was lowered and the Raj himself appeared, even as a motorcade bearing the King and his family made its way down the pier. As the King stepped out of his motorcar, the Raj began walking down the gangplank. The two leaders met precisely in the middle of an honor guard of South African marines, greeting each other with a smile and a handshake.

After a minute of quiet conversation, the men strode to a podium, where the King greeted his people: “Fellow South Africans! It is always a joy to be seaside in Durban, the city where I learned to tie spinnakers and shoot torpedoes on an old sailing ship not far from here.

“A great number of ships have dropped their anchors in this great port, but this is the first time that an Indian passenger liner has paid us a visit. It is only appropriate that she bears with her a most important passenger, a new friend: the Raj. The Raj has brought his nation into the industrial age, and has made it a player on the world stage. I am most pleased that he has chosen to ally India with South Africa, a relationship that I know will be long-lasting and fruitful. Raj: on behalf of all South Africans, it is my pleasure to welcome you to South Africa.”

Shortly afterward, the Raj made a brief statement: “I am astonished and flattered that so many people come out to greet me, and I thank each of you for this welcome. This is my first visit to your empire, a true world power that I am honored to have as a friend and partner. I look forward to learning more about you and your nation over the next few days.”

Over the coming days the two leaders will address delegates of the first annual Indian Ocean Naval Symposium, tour a number of warships including South Africa and the Swans, and have breakfast with a class of naval cadets before leaving the Durban area.

2. Violence in Al Salif

Two Indian engineers are dead after a gunfight with Yemeni gunmen last night in Al Salif. An anonymous letter left in AWNR’s Sanaa bureau mailbox cited an organization known as the Al Salif Liberation Front as being responsible for the attack. The letter noted that the Front is fighting to liberate Al Salif from what it called, “the crafty clutches of the Indian Imperialists.”

This is the first case of violence directed at the Indian forces in Al Salif since the attack of late November. Relations between the Indian Army’s Reconstruction Mission and the residents of Al Salif had been generally good since the former began rebuilding the city’s devastated and neglected infrastructure. One merchant went so far as to say that the Indian mission was “a great gift” to the city and its residents.

The Indian military has so far declined to comment on the incident.

3. Kalyan Launched

The fifth and final ship of the Columbo class has been launched. The light cruiser Kalyan was launched on the sixth of May, and will be completed in early 1922.

“The Columbos have proven to be a very successful series of ships”, Admiral Sanjay Das commented at the launching ceremony. “We look forward to welcoming Kalyan into the Fleet in just a few months’ time.”

Sources tell ANWR that a follow-up to the Columbo class is being planned, one that would incorporate a mixture of single and dual mounts for its main battery. The so-called Trincomalee class could be laid down as soon as next year.

This is the Voice of India...