You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

howard

Unregistered

Tuesday, August 26th 2008, 5:34am

Peru 1936

The State Ministry of Information Radio News Service

[The initials spell ENEMA on the acronym in Spanish]

Bulletin 108 for the year:

The government announces that in order to promote domestic industry, a new public/private venture is to be launched for the production of aviation engines.

The corporation, to be known as El Conquistador Aviation Engines Limited is to begin operations 3Q1936. First announced project is an aero-engine 370 kilowatt engine for .........

Garage outside Lima

Click. No more radio, for obvious reasons.

The two 'mechanics' continue work.

First, as he fills the oil drums with 'slurry': Think those clowns have a prayer?

Second: "Be careful with the pour, we want that in the drum, not on the truckbed." He has the electrical end of the job. Everything has to be wired just so, for maximum effect.."Naw, it took Brama almost ten years to develop a decent five hundred horsepower engine from scratch. These jokers start from zero. First they have to recruit engineers, and then they have to buy or steal a base design, and then they need a foundry, and then they need milling machines. You think the US, Germany, or Britain are going to sell them any? Get real. First stage manufacturing tools would have to come from the bad guys......."

First points: "You tell me to be careful about the slurry? Watch how you wire the sequence, bub. We want this to work, when we want it to work.

Second double-checks himself: "Nope. This is correct. Just keep pouring. We have a drop dead date to meet." He chuckles at his own very poor joke.

Tuesday, August 26th 2008, 6:38am

Nice acronym! :D

Thought I'm geting SNRMEI, what was the full Spanish translation you have?

howard

Unregistered

Tuesday, August 26th 2008, 6:42am

Quoted

Originally posted by Desertfox
Nice acronym! :D

Thought I'm getting SNRMEI, what was the full Spanish translation you have?

You are using a mechanical translator. Play with the wordage
and you'll get it. :))

[empresa nacional electrónica de los medios]

H.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "howard" (Aug 26th 2008, 6:56am)

Tuesday, August 26th 2008, 7:16am

Ah Ok. I was trying a direct translation: Servicios de Noticias Radiales del Ministerio Estatal de Informacion.

howard

Unregistered

Thursday, August 28th 2008, 8:15pm

ENEMA News Report:

Fiat and El Conquistador Aviation Engines LTD. have signed a joint venture agreement to develop a 370 kilowatt prototype aero-engine of unspecified design for civil aviation applications. No further details are forthcoming.

H.

howard

Unregistered

Sunday, August 31st 2008, 9:46pm

[SIZE=4]KABOOM![/SIZE]

Sunday, August 31st 2008, 9:51pm

Sounds like something went wrong. :)

Sunday, August 31st 2008, 11:44pm

I was wondering when we'd hear from Swampy and his Filipinos again...

Monday, September 1st 2008, 12:37am

Quoted

Originally posted by Rooijen10
Sounds like something went wrong. :)

...or maybe it went right!!!

Monday, September 1st 2008, 1:04am

Mwuhahahah!!!

Tuesday, September 2nd 2008, 10:12pm

Quoted

Mwuhahahah!!!

This means that the Mexicans are involved and the explosion indicates that they are suffering from Filipino-itis (which causes one to blow up ones stuff or someone else's stuff). :)

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "Rooijen10" (Sep 2nd 2008, 10:14pm)

howard

Unregistered

Tuesday, September 9th 2008, 6:15pm

ENEMA Bulletin #109

Reports are that a massive earthquake has hit southern Bolivia. Seismographs at Lima University School of Mining recorded a massive 8+ Richter event somewhere in the vicinity of Cochabamba Province.

All radio and telephonic communication with the region has failed.

No further details are known...........

Vasco de la Nazca, acting Peruvian CoS operates from a hotel suite office opposite the plaza where work crews still clean up the mess from the truck bomb that wiped out Commandio Supremo de Marine. If not for a fortuitous telephone call telling him that the place was going to be blown up exactly three minutes before it was blown up-in time to keep him from getting to work and too late for him to stop it, he would have joined the former government in its himmelsfahrt.

The new government is operating scattered and on the move these days. The new el Presidente, Hernando Diaz, is the first Social Democrat to ever hold power in a country traditionally dominated by center right coalitions. He has a heck of a time keeping the nation calm. Cries for revenge he tamps down with great difficulty.

It is precisely because the Gardia Civil and the Marine de Guerre Seguridad know who blew up Commandio Supremo, that Diaz keeps the vengistas tamped down and fills up the jails with them,. And now this;

Lopez hands him some photos taken by the Fierza Aeronautica de Peru.

Lieutenant Commander Lopez: "They are wiped out. La Paz is in chaos; the roads are gone, the railroad is destroyed, their government has collapsed and their dead in Ciochabamba and Aiquila.....hundreds-maybe thousands. What are we going to do?"

de la Nazca: "Help them if I know Diaz. He's an internationalist, that one."

Lopez: "Well if we are sending help, that means the Army has to do it. We'd better contact Chile and Argentina to make sure that they understand that this is earthquake relief and not an invasion, and we better make damned sure that we contact the League of Nations for their assistance and sanction before we
move."

de la Nazca whose nightmare life just gets more complicated nods: "Diaz will have to handle that. Telephone the Chilean GHQ. I'll talk to them first.....then Argentina."

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "howard" (Sep 9th 2008, 6:20pm)

Tuesday, September 9th 2008, 9:05pm

Is this where we issue Advisory Notices to tourists to Peru to be very careful! :D

"Yeah the mountains are scenic but you may get caught in the odd bomb blast and land slide"

Tuesday, September 9th 2008, 11:06pm

Mexican Embassy Lima

"The Headquarters of the Peruvian Navy just blew up!"

"WHAT??? Get ahold of the direct line to Mexico, and get more information on what happened. You know who they are going to blame right? "

Tuesday, September 9th 2008, 11:37pm

Quoted

Mexican Embassy Lima

"The Headquarters of the Peruvian Navy just blew up!"

"WHAT??? Get ahold of the direct line to Mexico, and get more information on what happened. You know who they are going to blame right? "

That cute Philippino intern?

[SIZE=1]Man, she was just hot. We were chatting, I invited her out for lunch, and the next thing I know, BOOM![/SIZE]

howard

Unregistered

Wednesday, September 10th 2008, 5:33am

The Ruins of Aiquula.

The trip to San Marcus had not been this bad. Captain Maldonado and his company had marched mainly by foot with their pack trains from Puna along the southern shore of the lake to Copacabana thence on to La Paz where he and his men had to make their way through the chaos of a city mad with fear. The people individually were brave enough, but what passed for a Bolivian government had fled the city or abandoned its responsibilities. There was nothing he could do about that. He was the leader of this Peruvian Army route engineering survey party. His orders were to mark passable travel routes, assess earthquake damage, report conditions in Bolivia by radio as he marched, and mark the right of way for the railroad battalion that followed him, to lay or repair track as quickly as possible. Banditry which he expected he didn't encounter ar all.

Even the thieves in this part of the country were shocked numb by this disaster.

Finally he and his men reached Aiquila. He walked ahead and stood alone in the street, a scant 100 feet ahead of his men ahead of his march column. A gust of wind left him hatless. Stone ruins marked where once a small city stood. Remarkably, there didn't seem to be any dead bodies our in the open; but the stench, so like decaying raw pork, that marked the presence of dead Human beings not decently buried, he smelled strongly in the cold dry air. He didn't notice the sergeant who took his picture among the ruins, nor of the private, the unit diarist, who wrote down his shouted words just as a Chilean plane flew overhead: "¡Madre de Dios! ¿Qué vamos a hacer?"

This post has been edited 3 times, last edit by "howard" (Sep 10th 2008, 5:58am)

Wednesday, September 10th 2008, 6:07am

Yanno, I still get a sad giggle every time I look at the map of Bolivia... I mean, that lake between Potosi and La Paz?

Lake Poopo... sheesh.

---------------------

Any Chilean planes are likely to be the new Twin Condors. (Well, the FACH's purchase of Twin Condors is a Q2 news item, and I'm holding my Q2 news because of the war.)

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Brockpaine" (Sep 10th 2008, 6:09am)

Wednesday, September 10th 2008, 6:10am

Well, it would make a good place for sewage treatment plants...

howard

Unregistered

Wednesday, September 10th 2008, 2:17pm

Colonel Santiago Evera, is stripped to the waist like most of his men. Sweat rolls off his back despite the cold and the thin air as he and his men struggle kaying sleepers and railroad iron.

'Peru is not a rich country' he thinks as the next piece of iron rolls forward off the Holman tracklayer. He's seen the air transports of the rich Fuerza Aérea de Chile buzzing around; some of the transports coming close enough to look at his battalion laying track and blasting clear the rubble from the route marked by Captain Maldonado. Peru's Fuerza Aeronautica stays firmly on its side of the border. Orders are NO INCIDENTS.

He follows Maldanado. Trains packed, with food and clothing, shelter materials, doctors, medical supplies to aid the Bolivian survivors follow him. Where order has collapsed-Peruvian Gardia Civil with locally and hastily recruited Bolivian "police" restore order along the track routes. No Esercito besides tracklaying engineers and doctors. NO INCIDENTS. So orders Hernando Diaz, el Presidente de Peru.

Over the radio in the train's command car (a converted caboose) when he makes his reports, Evera hears that Atlantis and a few other nations send aid-through Chile. He bristles at that. 'Nothing through Peru eh?'

Well Peru's aid will arrive into the interior Bolivian mountain plateau first, he knows. This kind of country you cannot fly supplies in. It has to come in by mule, truck, or railroad. With the roads and the Bolivian government gone. ('Cowards,' Evera thinks about the Bolivian politicians, who deserted their people and fled to Santa Cruz) Peru chooses the slow sure way. The goal is five miles a day, one mile every two hours-no wonder everyone sweats!

Peru is not a rich country, but it knows these mountains....and these people.

Hernando Diaz bends over a map of Bolivia: "My predecessors should have done this, the fools...."

de la Nazca: "You spend Riyales like I drink water, the steel you send with those track gangs is substandard and we will have to replace it."

Diaz, who was a railroad man before he became el Presidente snaps: "I know the rails are sulfur brittle and that they are what we replace out of our own track lines, but they are there, stacked up as waste iron. Fortunate that we can use now, eh?"

de la Nazca explodes: "But we are tearing up our own tracks to supply iron to our Bolivian workgangs!"

Diaz: "We would tear it out anyway. This just speeds up the modernization process."

de la Nazca grumbles: "Strange, that wrecking our own railroad infrastructure and bankrupting the treasury is somehow going to help us or Bolivia...."

Diaz: "I know what I am doing."

de la Nazca points out the window at the work crews removing the rubble of Commando Supremo: "Emilio Huerta knew what he was doing, too."

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "howard" (Sep 10th 2008, 3:53pm)

Wednesday, September 10th 2008, 2:32pm

Well, FACH isn't running much over Bolivia proper yet - it's mostly in Chilean Bolivia.