You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Thursday, January 26th 2006, 9:24am

Nordmark?

I was wondering, what is Nordmark? I realize that it's some kind of Scandinavian superstate, but what nations does it encompass? Is it Kalmar minus Denmark? If so, why wasn't the more historically accurate Kalmar adopted in order to rub Denmark's nose in it?

On a more strategic note, why hasn't a Kalmar Union been attempted in Wesworld? I'm surprised neither the Nordmark nor Denmark players haven't realized that such an empire would own the Baltic. If I were either of those players' positions, I'd have acted on the impulse, having the ability to apply pressure at will to one of the world's major economic chokepoints could very potentially set any Nordic superstate up for superpower status.

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Thursday, January 26th 2006, 9:32am

Welcome to the boards, Fyrwulf!

Regarding Nordmarks possessions a look on our map might be a good idea. Walter? Do you have it at hand somewhere?

Nordmark as it is in WesWorld was introduced a long time ago when we started all this by a player who wanted to have it exactly like it is - Nordway, Sweden, Greenland (IIRC) and Finland without Denmark. Nobody ever asked why because we all placed our powers where we wanted to (thus i introduced the South African Empire with colonies where Cameroon and Uruguay was)....

Thursday, January 26th 2006, 10:43am

Hmm, interesting. Have there been any Denmark-Nordmark wars? Sweden and Denmark haven't really ever liked each other, with the exception of recent history, and I'm sure Denmark would resent Swedish possession of what has traditionally been Danish land.

What's the status of Finalnd, is it still in Ruskiy hands? Is it NPC? Or has Sweden (via Nordmark) regained control?

And finally, and somewhat off topic, is there any way I could pick up an NPC nation? I'd like to review any topics on how it's done here, I do some RPing at Nationstates but that's significantly more freeform than what is practiced here. Beyond the ship design rules thread, is there any guide about how to prepare quarterly statements or how to allocate resource points?

Thursday, January 26th 2006, 10:55am

Welcome

I only racently pick up poland is wose an NPC before that Swamphen did all of NPC infrastructure and ships I taked what created and started playling from Q1.1929.
If you want to join the sim I dont think it will be a problem

Theres an NPC section in the Encyclopedia.

Thursday, January 26th 2006, 10:59am

Nordmark - Norway, Sweden, Finland, Island, Greenland, Svalbard, Vinland (Nova Scotia)

Denmark still owns the Faeroes.

I think its fair to assume that history hasn't changed too much in regard to wars and disputes over land. The Swedish Empire just merged into Nordmark with the addition of a few territories.

Thursday, January 26th 2006, 11:08am

Quoted

Originally posted by Marek Gutkowski
Welcome

I only racently pick up poland is wose an NPC before that Swamphen did all of NPC infrastructure and ships I taked what created and started playling from Q1.1929.
If you want to join the sim I dont think it will be a problem

Theres an NPC section in the Encyclopedia.

How free a hand would I be given with territory selection? If I wanted to make a Brazilian Empire with what was left of the SA territories, would that be permisable? Or, say, a Persian or Chinese Empire with what was left of either bailiwick?

And thanks for the info on the Nordmark situation, it was helpful.

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Thursday, January 26th 2006, 11:21am

A Persian Empire would be quite interesting, me thinks.

In general you would have to accept what is already there in WesWorld. So if you´re interested in one of the ABC powers you have to stick to the border lines already drawn and to whatever is already established regarding infrastructure, navy, politics, treaties, relations to foreign powers etc. and work from there.

We cannot and will not re-write WesWorld history as it means too much work and would through anything we had out of the window.

Just out of curiosity: Where do you come from and how old are you?

Thursday, January 26th 2006, 11:56am

Welcome!

There's certainly been in the past desires for a few more players, Canada is a possibility as are several major South American nations (Brazil, Argentina).

Thursday, January 26th 2006, 12:01pm

Welocome to our forums Fyrwulf!

Persia/Iran, Brazil, China and perhaps Argentina would be available for a new player I suppose, with China and Brazil posing reasonable opertunity's for growth.

Argentina would be the worst nation to take, freedom wise, as you have some storylines to stick to and several nations glaring at you from across the sea.

Thursday, January 26th 2006, 12:10pm

Quoted

Originally posted by HoOmAn
A Persian Empire would be quite interesting, me thinks.

In general you would have to accept what is already there in WesWorld. So if you´re interested in one of the ABC powers you have to stick to the border lines already drawn and to whatever is already established regarding infrastructure, navy, politics, treaties, relations to foreign powers etc. and work from there.

We cannot and will not re-write WesWorld history as it means too much work and would through anything we had out of the window.

Just out of curiosity: Where do you come from and how old are you?

Yeah, I figured that. I'll probably take this weekend to read every "official" post from beginning to end. I've picked up some just lurking and reading along, but I need to really hit the books hard if I'm going to establish myself as a serious player.

As for myself personally, I'm 20 and live in SE Michigan.

Thursday, January 26th 2006, 12:14pm

There is a history post somewhere in which IIRC we tried to blend our conflicting history's somewhat.

Thursday, January 26th 2006, 12:17pm

Quoted

Originally posted by thesmilingassassin
Welocome to our forums Fyrwulf!

Persia/Iran, Brazil, China and perhaps Argentina would be available for a new player I suppose, with China and Brazil posing reasonable opertunity's for growth.

Argentina would be the worst nation to take, freedom wise, as you have some storylines to stick to and several nations glaring at you from across the sea.

China'd be nice, just from a standpoint of defensive depth, but I don't plan on playing the military angle too often, which means that China's greatest asset (manpower) would go to waste. However, that bit of info about Argentina means I'm leaning heavily towards Brazil, because it crystalizes a strategy I have in mind.

What's the state of Iberia economically and militarily? Do they still have the resources they did in their heyday or was the beating the US handed to them the death knell to their glory days it was OTL?

Thursday, January 26th 2006, 12:28pm

Well it depends on who you talk too, the Iberians will surely tell you their still strong, but its really hard to tell because our Iberian player is going through some personal issues at the moment.

Brazil along with a few other South American nations gained independance from Iberia, in part via Atlantean assistance. Simon Bolivar made some great gains as historical but it would seem Iberia made a stand in Equador and their Central American colony's.

The Iberian/American war was less embarasing than historical for Iberia, loosing the Philippines but retaining Cuba.

In the aftermath Venezuela joined Atlantis via confederacy (similar to Canada and its provinces), while the remaining countrys went their own way. Argentina, Paraguay and Brazil have also lost some territory to the South African Empire and Nordmark.

Thursday, January 26th 2006, 12:30pm

Iberia won the Atlantic part of the Iberian-American War, so they're still a fairly major power (even though they're not very active in the sim). Brazil would be a good option, certainly some of us have been wishing there were more players for that part of the world.

Thursday, January 26th 2006, 12:47pm

Thanks guys, your info has helped me on how I'm going to play the diplomatic front.

Thursday, January 26th 2006, 1:13pm

Another question has occured to me. Does the Panama Canal exist and if so who's hands is it in?

Thursday, January 26th 2006, 1:39pm

Welcome

Nordmark also holds the Falklands & South Georgia.

The panama canal is there, not sure who controls it though.

Thursday, January 26th 2006, 2:32pm

I think it's in Spanish control. This is good, but for what reasons I won't reveal just yet.

Thursday, January 26th 2006, 3:13pm

An older take on Brazilian infrastructure is in the NPC area of the infrastructure board, here
and the navy is under the NPC nations area of the fleet board, here.

Something to be aware of, Argentina is having some modern BCs built in Italy, and Chile has been building cruisers and a carrier of late.

Thursday, January 26th 2006, 3:21pm

Of that I'm aware. I'm actually impressed by Argentina's BCs and when I address the pressing needs of updating heavy industry and expanding, on top of actually maintaining, existing transport infrastructure, I think I should be able to buy a matching capability. However, almost all of my efforts are going to go into said infrastructure and careful economic development (something Brazil failed at OTL during the 1930s.)