You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Saturday, January 7th 2006, 5:58pm

Presenting....

Just added a picture of CL22 to my RSAN page.

Now only CL24 is missing. Back to the drawing boards...

Saturday, January 7th 2006, 9:36pm

She looks different to what I had previously imagined.

Is the rudder a bit large?

I think the catapult might be mounted a bit high. I'd even consider moving the boats that are on the weatherdeck level and stacking them on the larger boats on the main deck. Thne you can move the catapult down a deck or so.

Sunday, January 8th 2006, 2:45am

A detailed and asthetically pleasing design, one that I've come to expect from the SAE!

Now for the constructive critique....

I agree with Gavin on the rudder, it looks big. I think you could move the aft torpedo tubes further aft to allow you to create a more spacious boatdeck abreast the after funnel (which to me would look better if it was mounted a deck higher and shortened accordingly) and remove the boats forward (moving them to the boat deck aft). Personally I'd move the cranes abreast the fore funnel and togeather with the boatdeck modifications would allow you to lower the catipult one deck.

HoOmAn

Sunday, January 8th 2006, 2:49am

Gavin -

So what did you expect? I´m currious...

The rudder isn´t too large, I think. A single blade always has to be larger than a twin rudder...

Regarding the catapult - the HIPPERs had theirs even higher and compared to the German Ks, LEIPZIG/NÜRNBERG or Japanese NAGARA, KAKO or the American SAN FRANCISCO (just to name a few) I don´t think it´s too high, really.

HoOmAn

Sunday, January 8th 2006, 2:54am

Wes -

thanks for the compliment. ;o)

The rudder is a copy from one of my older drawings for which I messured historical designs. So the rudder should be okay, probably too large by a pixel (~40cm) or something.

Regarding the crane/boat arrangement - your proposal is a good one. However, I simed the ship with a hull break at midship level and have to show that on the pic.

Regarding the catapult I like to add that is just looks so high because it is installed on the lower deck. In fact it is only one deck above weather deck level - and that´s hardly high.

HoOmAn

Sunday, January 8th 2006, 2:58am

Btw, boats are an interesting topic here.

I intentionally wanted another pair of boats on the aft superstructure above the second pair of TTs and some small ones atop the large ones below the catapult.

I skipped the first pair for stability and ästhetical reasons (also liked to have the space for the 4cm twins) and the second pair for an easier drawing. Otherwise the midship section would have looked too "dark" and "clumpsy" with another view lines around the crane on the sideview. However, I envision there are another two small boats on top the large ones like on other RSAN designs (drawings).

Sunday, January 8th 2006, 3:07am

The preposals I made revolved arround her retaining her current hull layout. Basically its just rearraging the equipment.

I'll conceed on the rudder issue, allthough rather large it does not look out of place on the hull.

Perhaps I could tackle a redraw of the Rosario for fun?

HoOmAn

Sunday, January 8th 2006, 3:10am

Do your very best, Sir!

(I´m already fooling around, too, as CL24 is more or less a copy of CL22 - just with 6 10,5cm singles instead of the 88mm twins. Hence I need to find deckspace for another pair of medium caliber guns. For the CL24-class her hull can also be lengthened 2m but another 4cm mount has to be installed, too. I envision it above B turret and before her bridge will the aft pair of 4cm twins will become quads...)

Sunday, January 8th 2006, 5:03am

Well given the constraints of the hull I acctually found it difficult to re-possition alot of the equipment. I'll let my work speak for itself but I think she dosn't look much different.

Now if I had more leeway to move the hull break I could really have some fun!

Sunday, January 8th 2006, 11:51am

I'd expected something a bit more like Leander Mod.

I've gone for something I think looks a bit more business-like with the lowered bridge and funnels. I had to move the forward 40mm guns aft because they'd either be unworkable in a heavy sea or interfere with the 88mm mount. I also reworked the superstructure a bit, with the aft bit continuing to meet the fore and encompassing the cranes. Midbreak still in the same position. I can see your point about the catapult now.

Sunday, January 8th 2006, 1:26pm

I would think that the reason the rudder looks a bit large is because of the narrow part of the rudder, which makes it look rather long and thus a bit odd.
So why not go for a rudder like this one with the same square meters of area as the rudder you currently have on the Rosario?

I noticed that the RSAN CA 26 class (Cape Infante) uses exactly the same rudder as the Rosario and the Arion. Is the CA 26 a single or twin rudder design?

HoOmAn

Sunday, January 8th 2006, 5:11pm

CA23 (the drawing you posted) is a twin rudder, CA26 a single ruder design. So I´m not sure if I got your point...

Sunday, January 8th 2006, 7:23pm

I would think that one single rudder similar to the size of one of the rudders on the CA 23 might look better on the Rosario. But that is just me.
As for the CA 26, I was just curious. After all that rudder is exactly the same as on the Rosario and Arion.

HoOmAn

Monday, January 9th 2006, 11:06am

That´s probably because I copied it... ;o) I´m always using parts of other ships to generate new drawings. It helps to get a familiar look. In case of CL22 you may notice some similarities between her bridge (side view) and that of CA23 for example. I copied the later and worked from there. Aft mast is from CL21 etc.

HoOmAn

Monday, January 9th 2006, 11:09am

Quoted

Originally posted by thesmilingassassin
Now if I had more leeway to move the hull break I could really have some fun!

Feel free! What would you come up with?

HoOmAn

Monday, January 9th 2006, 11:17am

Quoted

Originally posted by Red Admiral
I've gone for something I think looks a bit more business-like with the lowered bridge and funnels. I had to move the forward 40mm guns aft because they'd either be unworkable in a heavy sea or interfere with the 88mm mount. I also reworked the superstructure a bit, with the aft bit continuing to meet the fore and encompassing the cranes. Midbreak still in the same position. I can see your point about the catapult now.

I like your modifications very much, will probably use something of it for CL24.

You´re right, with the lowered bridge she looks a little bit more bussiness like. However, when I designed CL22 I thought about her being the first 8,000-tonner build after a series of "light" CLs of which none was heavier than 5,600ts. So she had to look "massive" somehow and a larger bridge structure is a good thing to "show" her weight. It also helps to make clear she´s meant for independant patrols etc. where you need a little bit more roome for crew, work shops and probably staff.

Another thing to consider was CL27. She has a bridge four decks high and I wanted/will find a way to morf CL21´s bridge into that of CL27 via CL22 and CL24.