You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Friday, February 8th 2008, 5:08am

Yavuz refit hypothetical

Some thought has been given to rebuilding Yavuz in an effort to improve her capability's. This is one such sketch thats been drafted as a preposal.

Friday, February 8th 2008, 5:36am

looks kinda expensive

Kaiser Kirk

Lightbringer and former European Imperialist

Friday, February 8th 2008, 5:55am

1. Neat
2. I note you create void spaces across from the wing barbettes. I would think it advantageous to retain large heavy things over there as a counterbalance.
3. She has potential to be a quite viable unit I bet.

Friday, February 8th 2008, 5:59am

It would be, for sure, even without the machinery improvments and 5.9 triple turrets but she wouldn't lose her midships 11" turrets. Another less costly option would be to retain the 5.9" casemates.

Friday, February 8th 2008, 6:03am

Quoted

Originally posted by Kaiser Kirk
1. Neat
2. I note you create void spaces across from the wing barbettes. I would think it advantageous to retain large heavy things over there as a counterbalance.
3. She has potential to be a quite viable unit I bet.

On point three, the triple turrets would be placed there, some super-imposed, along with the magazines for the 5.9" guns. I breifly worked on extending the superstructure surrounding the aft funnel to the super-imposed 5.9" turrets and placing life boats and AA atop the structure.

Friday, February 8th 2008, 8:29pm

Its probably not worth it. Better to keep some of the casemated guns and replace those lost with single 150mm close to the superstructure so that the wing arcs aren't restricted too much.

Also need more superstructure and AA guns somehow.

Friday, February 8th 2008, 10:11pm

Given the strange turret layout of the old wing-turret ships, I would also have to advise against moving the secondaries. I'd keep them in casemates if I kept them at all, and would attempt to stick as many 3x25mm or 2x37mm as I could on the superstructure, while installing something like the German's 1933 model 88mm/L45 Flack for heavier AA.

Friday, February 8th 2008, 11:25pm

Theres been several discussions on other boards in reguards to what could have been done to Yavuz if Turkey was desperate enough to rebuild her. This would be a more extreme refit to be sure.

As RA's stated, its more likely she would retain her casemates with a few deck mounts to compensate.

Friday, February 8th 2008, 11:40pm

I think I'd go for the added turreted secondaries. Mainly because cross deck fire has limited utility and if I understand it correctly, tends to cause structureal damage to the vessel, even if it was designed to it. While this reduces a potential broadside by two main guns, you potenially gain more utility out of your secondary battery that may be useful engaging the numerous destroyers, torpedo boats, and patrol craft that operate in the region. If there were DP guns, then you'd have that benifit as well against aircraft.

Saturday, February 9th 2008, 12:22am

All good points, but the real isue is cost. Would it be worth it or simply purchase a newer BC/supercruiser to replace her? Keep in mind, due to the two Osmanieh class BB's, Yavuz is no longer a frontline ship. Making all the modifications depicted, minus the 5.9" turrets would make her a very capable training ship.

Saturday, February 9th 2008, 12:28am

Bulgaria would be happy to take her and increase her "High Seas Fleet, the Collected Works". ;)

Saturday, February 9th 2008, 12:33am

Thats also a distinct possibility!

Sunday, February 10th 2008, 2:10pm

Given the two new battleships, the rebuild probably isn't worth the cost.

Sunday, February 10th 2008, 7:03pm

The turks have indeed made the same decision, looking at a replacement for Yavuz. Meanwhile others have been looking at Yavuz to replace their predreads.

Monday, February 11th 2008, 8:55am

Yugoslavia would also be interested in her, should the turks decide to rid themselves of her that is

Monday, February 11th 2008, 9:15am

Hey now, I need Yavuz for my High Seas Fleet Museum! :P

[SIZE=1]Wonders if old SMS Derfflinger is still around... Yavuz is a darling, but the Iron Dog? WANTS![/SIZE]

Monday, February 11th 2008, 9:19am

Quoted

Originally posted by Brockpaine
Hey now, I need Yavuz for my High Seas Fleet Museum! :P

[SIZE=1]Wonders if old SMS Derfflinger is still around... Yavuz is a darling, but the Iron Dog? WANTS![/SIZE]

Derfflinger /drool id bid on that one to ^.^

Id have bid on lion if I had bene here when she went bye bye T.T

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Tanthalas" (Feb 11th 2008, 9:20am)

Monday, February 11th 2008, 11:54am

Sorry, Derfflinger was scuttled at Scapa Flow as historical.

Monday, February 11th 2008, 4:24pm

Lion's sister and half sister currently serve in the Royal Australian Navy. Meanwhile a new Lion is on its way...

Monday, February 11th 2008, 6:23pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Hrolf Hakonson
Sorry, Derfflinger was scuttled at Scapa Flow as historical.

Aw rats :(