You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Thursday, February 3rd 2005, 2:28am

Danish Catch-Up 1925

Same as before, several story arcs being covered......

Edit... forgot a sort of important bit near to end....oops!

Jytlands-Posten, January 7th, 1925

In an interview yesterday with Niels Petersen, Leader of the Shipyard Workers Union,
he was quite unhappy with the announcement from the Admiralty that they would not be ordering any new ships for the foreseeable future due to budgetary constraints.

“While I realise that the Admiralty’s hands are tied by their political masters, this decision is going to hit the members of our union quite hard. I would estimate that by the end of August or possibly September there will be little or no work left in the yards to keep people employed. I hope that the government has thought this through completely, because this is going to get worse before it gets better”.

Dagblatet Politiken, January 13th, 1925

Today, on the first anniversary of the Copenhagen Disaster, the survivors of the ship assembled in the Naval Academy Chapel for a memorial service for their fallen comrades.
In attendance were their Majesties, Christian X and Alexandrine; Admiral Carl Christofer Georg Andrae, Commander in Chief of the Navy and Capt. Tomas Wolfsen, former master of the Copenhagen. Also in attendance are Capt. Pedro da Silva, Master of SS Maria Magdelana and Dr. Juan Carrascal, the ship’s doctor, at the special invitation of their Majesties.

After the service, in a reception in the Main Hall of the Academy, The King conferred the Order of the Dannebrog on Capt. Pedro da Silva and Dr. Juan Carrascal, only the 4th and 5th occasions that the Order has been conferred on foreign nationals. His Majesty thanked the 2 men personally for their efforts last year, which saved many lives aboard the stricken Copenhagen.

As the 2 men left at the end of the reception, they were given a full honour guard by the former ship’s company, and Capt. Da Silva was presented with the Crest of the Copenhagen which had once adorned the rear bulkhead of the bridge. It had been saved from the breakers by Chief Petty Officer Alexander Van Der Mollen, who’s son was one of the injured cadets that had been saved by the S.S. Maria Magdelana’s swift assistance.

“We thought it was the right thing to do. The crew came up with the idea that we should do something by way of showing our own appreciation, so I got the crest from the breakers, had it mounted, and we had the names of the ship’s crew engraved around it.”

Dagblatet Politiken, February 2nd, 1925

The Ministry of Defence has issued a request for tenders from local companies, in relation to the planned construction and/or renovation of defensive fortifications across the country. Full details of the required works and the structures will be available for viewing in the Ministry’s offices on a STRICTLY appointment basis only until February 15th, with the final date for receipt of completed tenders being March 15th.

Jytlands-Posten, February 3rd, 1925
Editorial Comment

So the government are going to start building defensive structures around the country.
Is it just me or does anyone else think that they are just a little over 12 years to late, and weren’t we neutral during the war?

Or is it just a ploy to cover the fact that they are running our Navy aground with their policy of ship building cut-backs, or possibly something to help with to spiralling welfare bill in our shipbuilding communities.

I just hope they don’t cancel this project as well!!

The Siamese Sentinel, February 15th, 1925

In an announcement today in Bangkok, Laksamana Phaholphonphayuhasena, the Siamese Minister of Foreign Affairs, announced the successful completion of combined operations with the British army against terrorist camps just across the Burmese border.

The operations were carried out as a result of information gathered in the wake of the Andaman Sea Incident and the trial of Quartermaster General Kriangsak Chomanan and his co-accused.

As a result of the combined operation, a quantity of arms and explosives were recovered. The weapons appear to be from several countries, with the majority being of Danish manufacture, possibly remnants of the original shipment that sparked the hostilities with India.

A number of militants were captured, and have been helping The King’s Children with their enquiries.

Jytlands Posten, April 3rd, 1925

“The start of yet another quarter and yesterday was the day that the navy usually announced their second round of new construction. However, it is now apparent that the government have no intention of protecting the jobs of my bretheren”.
Niels Petersen, Leader of the Shipyard Workers Union, was commenting on the lack of new orders for the Naval shipyards. “I am hearing reports from around the country of knock-on effects in the affected towns, shops that rely on the business generated by the shipyards for their livelihood. I hope the government do something soon to reverse this effect, otherwise we could be facing an economic crisis.”

Dagblatet Politiken, May 1st, 1925

The Ministry of Defence, have announced the successful company in the recent tender competition for new and renovated defensive structures around the country.
Christiani & Nielsen, as the successful construction company will be working closely with the army’s Corp of Engineers for the many different projects involved.

Tomas Gravesen, the Minister of State for Defence who is acting as full minister, due to the disappearance of Christian Anders Zahle last year, was positive and up-beat when asked about the fears of an economic crisis as feared by Niels Petersen, the leader of the Shipyard Workers Union, when no new naval construction was announced 4 weeks ago.

“The plans are for a considerable number of new facilities across the country, from airfields to border and coastal defences. Add to this the renovation and updating of existing facilities, and there should be sufficient work to prevent any danger of an economic crisis”.

The Siamese Sentinel, June 2st, 1925

At noon yesterday, a group of armed men attempt to storm the Summer Palace on Phuket in what is believed to have been an attempted assassination of The King.

Luckily His Majesty was out sailing on his yacht, the “White Elephant”, when the attack occurred. During the gun battle that ensued, some of the palace staff were injured, and 4 members of the King’s Children were killed, while none of the attackers survived. Rumours have it that the last of the attackers killed themselves instead of being taken prisioner.

After returning from his yacht, His Majesty was taken back to Bangkok for security reasons.
An investigation has been launched into the circumstances of the attack.

Jytlands-Posten, July 2nd, 1925

“The start of yet another quarter and yesterday was the day that the navy usually announced their third round of new construction, and for the third time this year I have to go back to my bretheren and tell them the bad news. I am getting that very uncomfortable ‘De Ja Vu’ feeling”.
Niels Petersen, Leader of the Shipyard Workers Union, was commenting yet again,on the lack of new orders for the Naval shipyards. “The government is playing with fire here. There are a lot of unhappy people in the shipyards, and with only 2 ships still building – one of which will complete in a month, and only a small amount of breaking and refits taking place, I will have to ballot my members on what course of action they are willing to take”.

Jytlands-Posten, August 4th, 1925

In the shipyard town of Aalborg today, 500 members of the local branch of the Shipyard Workers Union set off on a march that will take them eventually to the doors of the Folketing.
They had been joined by 150 men from the port of Frederikshavn, who had started out 3 days earlier, and together they were setting out for the largest of the shipyards in the town of Aarhus.

The Aalborg Police Chief, Commandant Henrick Larssen, was asked if the marchers had been causing any trouble. “I am pleased to report that they have been on their best behaviour. They have been pleasant, friendly and law-abiding, and have now left town on the Aarhus road.”

I asked one of the locals who had witnessed the arrival and departure of the marchers how they felt now that the men were moving on. “Well, I’ll say one thing. I wouldn’t want to be the Prime Minister when they get to Copenhagen!”

I will be joining the marchers, and will keep you updated as events unfold!

Jytlands-Posten, August 8th, 1925

4 days ago, the collected workers from Frederikshavn and Aalborg, 650 strong started out on the road to Aarhus. Today, with their numbers swelled with workers from the largest of the Naval shipyards, almost 1900 men set out for Ebsjerg. The men are in high spirits, with a great feeling of brotherhood and purpose permeating the group.

I spoke to one of the men who had just joined the march, and asked him why he was doing it. “We are doing this for several reasons, but I would the main reason that many of us are here is to try to make sure we will be in a position to provide for our families.”

Jytlands-Posten, August 10th, 1925
Editorial Comment

I have heard a disturbing rumour today.

The Minister for Defense, the long missing Christian Anders Zahle, has reportedly been spotted in Quebec, Canada. How true this is has yet to be determined, but if it is true, does it mean that we may have a hope of getting some answers as soon as he can be brought home?

Jytlands-Posten, August 13th, 1925

‘The Shipyard Crusade’ as it is now being called is growing in strength. Yesterday, as it left the port of Ebsjerg, it’s numbers now swelled to over 2500 men.
Spirits remain high, possibly due in part to the fine weather, but more likely because for those men from Frederikshavn, they have passed the half-way point and knowing this has renewed their sense of purpose, infecting the others with a new strength.

Jytlands-Posten, August 19th, 1925

‘The Shipyard Crusade’ entered Odense at 2pm yesterday, to cheers from the local populace.
At first glance, this may seem a little strange, until you learn that Odense has always been a centre of production for the ‘accessories’ of a life on the water. The country’s longest cable run is here, as well as a wide range of other associated businesses, all of which rely on the Navy and new ship production to stay in business.

The men were treated to a huge open air feast, laid on by the town’s business leaders, in the local football ground, during which about 350 men from the port of Svendborg arrived to join the marchers.

When the marchers leave here tomorrow on the ferry across to Sjaelland, for the last leg of the journey to Copenhagen, there numbers will be somewhere in the region of 3000 strong.

Jytlands-Posten, August 20th, 1925
Editorial Comment

The great disappearing Minister has been spotted again!!
Apparently he is now in New York, having been spotted talking to an aide of the Ambassador’s, by a member of the Embassy security staff.

Where to next Minister, Mexico??

Jytlands-Posten, August 20th, 1925

‘The Shipyard Crusade’ took to the water yesterday, taking the ferry across to Sjaelland.
They now have the target of their long march in sight, and with the men of Odense swelling their numbers now to almost 4500, they are going to be a force to be heard when they reach the Folketing.

Dagblatet Politiken, August 21th, 1925

“I believe that this rabble will cause trouble when they reach Copenhagen”
The Minister for The Interior, the Rt.Hon. Hans Van Der Beek, was replying to questions outside the Folketing about the approaching workers that are being referred to as ‘The Shipyard Crusade’. “In all my years, any gathering of this type always ends in trouble, and if it does I will make sure that ALL the perpetrators are dealt with properly”

Jytlands-Posten, August 22nd, 1925

The men of ‘The Shipyard Crusade’ passed through Holbaek 2 days ago, picking up more support from the locals. Yesterday they entered the town of Roskilde, their number just short of 5000, to be met by 2 groups who had made their way from Nykobing and Bornholm.
I have heard that a group is to join us tomorrow morning from Copenhagen for the final march to the Folketing.

Jytlands-Posten, August 23rd, 1925 – Late Edition

This afternoon, the assembled mass of workers marched into Copenhagen.
‘The Shipyard Crusade’ has now grown to almost 12,000 men and women, all of them connected to the ship-building industry in some way, as almost everyone in Copenhagen’s shipyards turned out to add their voices to the protest at the government’s policy of naval cutbacks.

Niels Petersen, Leader of the Shipyard Workers Union, along with representatives from the Chambers of Commerce of Aalborg, Aarhus, Copenhagen and Odense – the 4 towns that are going to be hardest hit if new work does not commence soon – handed in a partition signed by almost 150,000 people from all over the country.

The petition was accepted on behalf of the members of the Folketing by the Rt.Hon. Niels Thomasius Neergaard, the opposition leader. Mr.Neergaard assured the assembled masses that he and the rest of the opposition would do their utmost to get the government to reverse their current ban on new shipbuilding, but said they (the marchers) would have to be patient, as things may get worse before they get better. He applauded them on their show of solidarity and thanked them for proving their critics wrong by conducting the most effective and least troublesome protest he has ever witnessed while in politics.

The Siamese Sentinel, August 28th,1925

At a ceremony today in the Royal Palace in Bangkok to commemorate the fallen in last year’s Andamen Sea Incident, It was announced by His Majesty, King Vajiravudh, Rama VI, that as a small measure of recompense, He would be building 3 hospitals, 1 each in Phuket, Hyderabad and Copenhagen. These facilities would be built by local civil engineering companies in each case, designs – by respected architects from each city - have already been finalised and sites purchased.

“It is my earnest wish that these facilities will go some way to apologise for the harm that We have caused our friends and neighbours.

Jytlands-Posten, August 30th, 1925

After the events of last week, with the arrival of “The Shipyard Crusade” outside the Folketing, and the presentation of their petition to the Folketing, life in the chamber has been a little less than boring.

After a heated debate in the Folketing, during which the government was openly accused of not caring about the 12,000 people who marched from all corners of the country, or for those 150,000 people who signed the petition, the Prime Minister said that while his governments policies on social matters still took centre stage, and due to the recent protests by the shipbuilders and the associated workers, he would see if it would be possible to start some limited shipbuilding to keep the yards going.

Niels Petersen, Leader of the Shipyard Workers Union, was asked for his response to the Prime Minister’s statement. “This is a victory for the workers. I am hopeful that this will herald a return to the busy shipbuilding times before the current government. However, I will reserve judgement until I see exactly what comes from this”.

Jytlands-Posten, September 10th, 1925
Editorial Comment

Readers, How do I put this…I’M PSYCHIC!!!!
Our wandering Minister has been spotted in Mexico, apparently taking in the sights!

With this newly found skill, I will be predicting this weekends football result, so bookies beware!!

Dagblatet Politiken, October 2nd, 1925

Although there was no new Naval building announced yesterday at the start of the 4th quarter of the year, it was a happy Niels Petersen who left the Folketing after his meeting with the Prime Minister immediately after the session.

Mr. Petersen, Leader of the Shipyard Workers Union, was asked about his meeting.
“I have seen the building schedule that will start on January 2nd 1926. While not up to the same levels as previous the Government are going to place several orders, spreading the work out among all the Navy yards. The end of this year will be a bit tight, but the Union has funds to help members in cases of hardship, but next year will start out well for the shipyard workers.”

Jytlands-Posten, October 6th, 1925
Editorial Comment

Readers, I must tell they truth...I have been LYING to you.
I falsely reported sightings of Christian Anders Zahle in Canada, The U.S.A. and Mexico. Why, I hear you ask?
Because I was asked to by 'Efterretningstjeneten' (The Secret Service). I was not privy to the reasons why, but last night those reasons became very clear.

Christian Anders Zahle was arrested last night, on foot of a warrent issued by Justice Van Der Zee almost 1 year ago, while he was trying to sneak into the country.

It now looks like we will finally be getting some answers!!

Dagblatet Politiken, October 7th, 1925

There was uproar again in the Folketing yesterday at the news of the arrest of Christian Anders Zahle. Opposition members of the house were demanding that the Prime Minister now answer the questions put to him last year concerning his brother's involvement in gun-running.

In response, the Prime Minister stated that as his Brother was under arrest and detained pending appearence before a court, it would be improper to jepordise any legal proceedings in the chamber with uninformed gossip.

Jytlands-Posten, October 7th, 1925
Editorial Comment

What sort of fools does the Prime Minister think we are?
It is obvious that he is just stringing us along, and I am getting tired of it.

Prime Minister, tell us what you know and do the right thing for Denmark!

Dagblatet Politiken, Octeber 20th, 1925

The trial of Christian Anders Zahle on charges of Gun-running has been set to commence on November 28th, allowing time for the defence council to view the evidence that the State Prosectuer has had the last year to study.

The Siamese Sentinel, November 26th, 1925 SPECIAL EDITION

THE KING IS DEAD

After sustaining a knife wound 5 days ago during the last attempt on his life, His Majesty, King Vajiravudh, Rama VI of Siam, passed away earlier today as a result of complications resulting from the injury he received while saving his son from the assassins blade.

While at first, it seemed that the King had been only slightly wounded, but over the next 3 days his health started to weaken, he was admitted to hospital for tests, poison being suspected, but his health continued to slip. He lost consciousness yesterday evening, and was proclaimed dead at 8.37am this morning.

His Son, King Prajadhhipok, who has chosen to take the title of Rama VII to continue his father’s work, has asked that his Father be remembered for the good works he started.

Funeral arrangements will be realesed in the near future.

Thursday, February 3rd 2005, 2:34am

The Chilean Government sends its condolances to the Royal Family. May the new king sit on his throne with wisdom and grace.

Thursday, February 3rd 2005, 2:49am

The Filipinos will also have sent condolences...

Quoted

combined operations with the Burmese army

Won't that have been the British army? ;)

Thursday, February 3rd 2005, 4:44am

The Government of India is appalled at the news of the untimely death of His Majesty, King Vajiravudh, Rama VI of Siam. The Raj and Rana personally send their deepest sympathies to the fallen King's family and subjects.

"There are precious few men of such character in this world, and we are worse off now that he is departed to the next life", the Raj remarked. "If we can be of assistance to Siam and her new king, do not hesitate to call upon us."

OOC:

I'm certain I saw the Danish Minister of Defence in the lobby of my office yesterday...

Great stuff, Commodore. Glad to see some resolution happening, and a little labor trouble is always entertaining.