You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Friday, July 16th 2004, 7:30pm

my first attempt at drawing...

here it is...the latest version of Stomp I designed with Springsharp, now has its own drawing...

It's just a side view, top view will come later as I find it harder to do it ,and anyway being as it is my 1st attemt, I'm almost sure there are a lot of errors to correct, or even some things to improve... I'd rather be aware of them so they can be corrected before I draw the top view

any comment will be more than welcome.

(dimensions are 219,00 m x 24,20 m x 8,43 m)

Friday, July 16th 2004, 7:34pm

Not a bad first attempt ( looks a lot better than my first one did!!), but is that a "Flying off" platform on the aft turret?

Friday, July 16th 2004, 7:40pm

yep. The hangar for the scout planes is in the aft superstructure, just forward of the aft crane (that's why the crane is there ;)). The platform over the turret is a catapult to launch the planes :)

Friday, July 16th 2004, 7:45pm

But assuming the're wheeled, how do you get them back????
If you're interested, we could do a deal around my Hansa-Brandenburg W30 floatplane design?
It has a dry ground take off capability from a wheeled bogie!

Friday, July 16th 2004, 7:49pm

No, they aren't wheeled planes, they are floatplanes ;)

I have some Fokker floatplanes which I designed with the excel editor (however I don't know what the **** is wrong with the editor because it doesn't give me the turning details, it always shows error on every plane I design, not sure if it is because I'm using a freeware version of Excel or what). Those are tasked with the scouting duties aboard the fleet surface fleet, as the Dutch Royal Marine still hasn't got any carriers :)

Friday, July 16th 2004, 10:37pm

constructive criticism

Planebuilder isn't perfect by any means. On the variable speed maneuvering page I always get a failure warning. I ignore this and only look at the other maneuver page. I'd advise finding a historical plane, then altering it slightly(or not at all).

As for the drawing;

Thicker gun barrels

Superstructure not as high.

What scale is she btw? decks are usually 2+ metres high. These seem more like 4-5m.

Directors and portholes a bit too small?

Strange main turrets.

The flying off platform is a damn good idea that I haven't seen anyone else think of or use. I discarded it myself because my 15"/40 guns need more than 30degree elevation to get to 30,000m range.

Friday, July 16th 2004, 10:53pm

Quoted

What scale is she btw? decks are usually 2+ metres high. These seem more like 4-5m.

1pixel=0.25m

Quoted

Directors and portholes a bit too small?

Both true, but I'm not that sure of the dimensions of a Director...

Quoted

Strange main turrets.

I facetted them a lot, yes (top view would show an irregular octogonal shape), but I think they're plausible ;).

Quoted

The flying off platform is a damn good idea that I haven't seen anyone else think of or use. I discarded it myself because my 15"/40 guns need more than 30degree elevation to get to 30,000m range.

I've always been fond of turret catapults: they help economizing space...you simply don't need to make space for elsewhere.

As for the guns, most Dutch Royal Navy big guns emphatize the use of long barrels for high muzzle speed, thus reaching farther distances with smaller elevations ;)

however the aft turret catapult doesn't disturb the elevation of the guns, as it can be seen in the image ;).

Friday, July 16th 2004, 11:03pm

Quoted

however the aft turret catapult doesn't disturb the elevation of the guns, as it can be seen in the image ;).

Maybe not on that one, but take a look at HMS Hood in this picture. This is a flying off platform however.

http://photo.starnet.ru/Thematic_Wallpap…ges/Hood-22.htm

Saturday, July 17th 2004, 12:01am

updated drawing with bigger portholes, directors, and revised gun barrels for the secondary battery ;)

Also I lowered the forward superstructure and slightly decreased the main turret sizes.

Better now?.

more ideas?

[edit] and added a hand of paint too ;)

Saturday, July 17th 2004, 12:47am

Quoted

Originally posted by Red Admiral

The English ships that used the flying off platforms only had fixed sections over the turret proper, the planks along the the gun barrels were removed, leaving just the metal supports, to allow the guns their full and natural movement.
So 30 degrees should not be a problem!

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Saturday, July 17th 2004, 2:39am

Comments:

1.) Nice first drawing. Glad you were brave enough to try it. :o)

2.) Funnel too large and dominant.

3.) Upper works on forward superstructure odd and too small.

4.) Portholes along her hull aren´t where they should be. They are either too low or too high if one assumes a standard deckplan amidship. Just look at the deck that extents aft of X turrets. Run it through her hull...

5.) Odd position for her TTs. Those tubes need to train somehow.

6.) (Main) Rangefinders too small.

7.) Only a top view will show if those cranes can reach out far enough to lower and lift a plane. I doubt it.

8.) Odd tripost mast forward.

9.) I like her overall layout and especially her bow has a decent touch....

10.) Lack of small guns and details in general.

Hope this helps,

HoOmAn

Saturday, July 17th 2004, 3:24am

Exactly the kind of feedback I need, Hooman!. Thanks a lot for the input ;)

let's see...

Quoted

1.) Nice first drawing. Glad you were brave enough to try it. :o)

always wanted to drawn my designs, and today I decided to give it a try.

Your advice in other thread was well noted and I started my work based on those tips (previously I had no idea even on how to start).
I then started taking a look at ship drawings, and some of the drawings on this same board...then I simply started drawing the ship according to my mental view of how I wanted it to be :)

Quoted

2.) Funnel too large and dominant.

It's a feature I did on purpose. My first idea was to go with a twin funnel ship, but I noticed that I'd have some trouble putting the boat deck between them with the superstructure layout I had drawed...

so I went on with just one instead of two. Being as it is a ship with a quite powerful machinery (in excess of 115000 hp) I assumed that with the large space and many boiler rooms involved, I would need a quite large funnel.

Anyway I tend to like the size it has .I think the funnel gives the ship a kind of particular "personality", if you know what I mean ;).

Quoted

3.) Upper works on forward superstructure odd and too small.

noted and changed for bigger upper works.

Quoted

4.) Portholes along her hull aren´t where they should be. They are either too low or too high if one assumes a standard deckplan amidship. Just look at the deck that extents aft of X turrets. Run it through her hull...

see? this kind of things are the ones that show that you know about ships...and I don't know shit ;).

Changed, and added a line of portholes in the stern (they were missing on the original drawing)

Quoted

5.) Odd position for her TTs. Those tubes need to train somehow.

I thought of putting them in sort of "depression" in the hull, but then I noticed...I have two of those Torpedo launchers, they require quite a big space to be turned and trained...It's possible to give them enough space, but it's senseless if they can go anywhere else...and anyway it's the same if I put them over the deck...

so there it goes, changed their positions ;)

Quoted

6.) (Main) Rangefinders too small.

enlarged them a bit. But I think their size was about right looking at pics of ships like Bismarck...

Quoted

7.) Only a top view will show if those cranes can reach out far enough to lower and lift a plane. I doubt it.

I doubt it too, but it won't be hard to enlarge the cranes if neccessary, they're in good spots so that shouldn't be a problem...hopefully :D

Quoted

8.) Odd tripost mast forward.

That I did on purpose just for the sake of being original ;)

The running decks going from the forward superstructure to the Funnel are solid where the mast crosses them, helping supporting it. The supporting branches of the tripod mast go through a "hole" on the upper deck and are based at the second deck. All in all the mast should be structurally sound, I'd say. And those running decks are very good places for light AA guns (that's why I placed them there ;))

Quoted

9.) I like her overall layout and especially her bow has a decent touch....

believe it or not, I'm glad you like that bow...I really spent quite some time retouching it until I found it good enough for my taste ;). So that someone likes it makes me glad, as I said :D

Quoted

10.) Lack of small guns and details in general.

hehehe fist drawing, mate...better to start with the bassics, and then go on adding stuff like light AA guns, searchlights (though I added one in the forward structure, you can see it), etc.

Quoted

Hope this helps

indeed it did help :). The modified drawing is in the initial post...

thanks a lot, and keep any new ideas coming!...here you have someone eager to learn :D

Saturday, July 17th 2004, 4:07am

May I assume the big "AIM HERE" marking on the funnel will be the first thing to go upon the commencement of hostilities? ;)

Serious thought: I don't like where those TTs are - the blast from 'X' turret will make their crews quite unhappy...

Saturday, July 17th 2004, 5:24am

I personally like putting my torpedos in below deck ports like the Japanese and British cruisers did in the second world war.

As for any advice I can give you, always remember that the space between the turrets is really the guts of the ship. Moving aft from Barbette "A" you will have a magazine for the main guns, some crew space flanking it, Barbettes for the secondarys flanking your boiler rooms with magazines for your secondarys in there somewhere, turbines and prop shafts, aft magazine and finally your aft barbette.

Judging by the layout of your drawing you should have some room to move those torpedo's to midships between the secondarys. This would free up some room for perhaps a stern catapult and crane?
Moving the cat and crane from the aft turret to the stern would free up some more deck space in between the turrets and you could move the aft superstructure further aft. You could likely also move the midships cranes to either side of the funnel.

I think it might be possible for you to add a second funnel in front of the current one (reduced in size) given how far those decks of the forward superstructure extend aft.

If your using microsoft paint, saving your pictures as GIF's and not JPEG's will eliminate that ugly haze. A nice trick Walter showed me!

All in all not bad for a first drawing.

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Saturday, July 17th 2004, 11:33am

I moved her forward structure somewhat, added a deck abreast her funnel (which I also moved) and changed the TTs. Well, the small RF I also moved up a deck.

There is easily enough room for a second funnel if one wants her to have two. However, her forward funnel has to be made smaller in such case.

You could also add a catapult amidship but the current solution is a nice one too.

One last comment on hangar space. You´ve said there is a hangar aft. Please keep in mind a hangar is at least two decks high.

Regards,

HoOmAn

Saturday, July 17th 2004, 6:22pm

With the above layout you could definately add another funnel, which would make her look very stately.

Saturday, July 17th 2004, 8:15pm

Updated with top view,and some modifications.

-top view included

-revised crane sizes and posititioning.

-resized 2ndary battery

And...drawed a version with twin funnels:

So, which one do you like the most? ;)

Hooman, thanks for your drawing...Some of your ideas I find them good ones...I'll do some modification along those lines :)

Saturday, July 17th 2004, 8:36pm

Having done a simple test, I noticed that the secondary turrets near the aft funnel cannot turn. The funnel is in the way for them to turn around.

Saturday, July 17th 2004, 8:53pm

I already noticed that, but with some of the ideas Hooman has given me on placing the 2ndary turrets, that will be soon solved ;)

[edit] already solved. all 2ndary battery moved, being able to turn freely, and with better arcs of fire now ;)

Revised aft superstructure, made space for a 2-deck-high hangar.

Revised forward tripod mast. Supporting structures now reach the weather deck.

Saturday, July 17th 2004, 9:04pm

You could also move those secondary's towards the ships side a little more, and now you have to VERY big funnels. Shrinking them down will give you even more space for lifeboats and AAA. Other than that I think shes just about done!