You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Saturday, May 9th 2009, 12:43pm

Brazilian concepts

On the Margay II's, I'm not sure I'd bother with the high seakeeping: it's a destroyer, seakeeping is less important than other things, and Brazil doesn't directly border really rough water (that's farther south). I'd use the strength for more speed, myself. :)

On the subject of smaller but still capable destroyers, Brazil could look at the US Truxtun class, with changes to use Brazillian rather than USN weapons.

Saturday, May 9th 2009, 3:49pm

Just one note I had to make:

Quoted

Three of these destroyers are to be laid down in 1936/37, to replace the three Margay DD's lost during the SA War. Using Chilean DP guns, they are faster, and a better balanced design than the original Margay's.

Chile uses 130mm DP guns and 110mm DP guns, but I don't have any 120mm guns. If Brazil can make its own barrels you can put 120mm barrels on a Chilean 13cm DP mount, though.

Wednesday, May 13th 2009, 8:19am

The reason for the 34 knot speed, is simple. The rest of the DD's in Brazilian service are capable of 27,31, and 30.5 knots respectively. These ships are to be a bridge class if you will, between the older DD's, and the smaller, faster foreign design that Brazil will be producing next. Once enough of the newer DD's are completed (12) they and the new DD's will be the screen for the capital ships, while the Margay's and the 30.5 knot cruisers go wreck havoc on enemy shipping.

As for the Truxton class, I like them and the Atlantean DD's. Decisions, decisions.

Brazil can and does make its own barrels for the 4.7in, it just needs the turrents and the DP capability. I'll change that.