You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Wednesday, July 7th 2004, 1:44pm

Questions regarding coast-defense ships and ports

One passage in the Cleito Treaty has me slightly puzzled.

Part 3, Chapter A, Article I states:
"Each Contracting Power shall be allowed to retain, build or acquire armoured vessels of a type suitable for coastal defence, whose aggregate tonnage does not exceed the maximum tonnage of a single capital ship as defined in Part 3, Chapter A, Article I above."

Now 3/A/I defines this as 40,000 tons, but it could be inferred from this passage that your total tonnage of C.D. armourclads is required to be less than the standard displacement of your smallest dreadnought...

Wouldn't it have been simpler to just say "no more than 40,000 standard tons of coast defense ships"?

Also, where do you draw the line between a coastal city and a remote location with regards to adding a port? I want to add a port in a town on one of the outer Philippine Islands (Palawan) and I believe that I can treat it as a coastal city, and hence a "free" port, but I want to be sure...

Wednesday, July 7th 2004, 7:27pm

As I understand it, your coastal defence ship aggregate tonnage cannot exceed the CT's limit on a single capital ships allowed limit of 40,000 tons, and not of your largest unit.

As for Paliwan, your best bet is to look for a detailed map of the Philipines. From what I can tell, with my brief map sorces, Puerto Princesa is a large port in the center of the Island on the sothern side.

Thursday, July 8th 2004, 2:55pm

It would have been easier to say "no more than 40,000 t of coastal defence tonnage", but the Nordmark lawyers were being paid by the word.

To me, a remote location is one which lacks the population to provide the hundreds or thousands of people needed to operate the slips and drydocks. I'd think a population smaller than ten thousand or so would be considered remote, but that's just me.

Thursday, July 8th 2004, 7:45pm

Those Nordish treaty writers! Share the wealth!