You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Kaiser Kirk

Lightbringer and former European Imperialist

Friday, December 8th 2006, 8:50am

The Netherlands Q4, 1932

Kept it relatively short this time. Wonder what I missed...but this way some of my Q1/33 stuff might be "real time"...ah who am I kidding.

The Batavia Bugle, Oct 10th
The workers busy constructing the revetments on P. Karimun Besar were surprised today by the arrival of the Crown Prince, the Governor-General, the Queen’s advisor Hurgronje, and political activist Suwardi Suryoningrat. After admiring the view of the straits and Singapore, the party inspected the kasematens and asked where the anti-aircraft and other batteries would be placed. The Party was visiting the Riau islands as part of the TIDE commission efforts. The party had been inspecting the harbor facilities at Tanjungpingang on P. Bintan and took the ferry over to Tanjungbalu.

The Matadi Messenger, Oct 15th
The government has placed an order with Fokker-America for a squadron of XA-7 attack planes. The planes are to be modified for rough field landings suitable to the Kongo under the designation C.VII. The government has also placed an order for a squadron of Fokker trainer aircraft.

The Amsterdam Advocate, November 1st
The Government announced it’s annual declaration of surplus. The continued introduction of new aircraft has led to the first squadrons of D.XVIs being declared surplus, and the Army would appear satisfied with the Vickers “G” tank as 51 of the old F-17s are to be discarded. The retired Romfell armored cars are also slated for disposal.

The Groningen Gazette, November 15th
Petroleum exploration teams from Royal Dutch Shell announced today the discovery of a large natural gas field in Schloteren province.

The Amsterdam Advocate, November 20
Fokker T.IVa enter service in Argentina. This marks the first, but hopefully not the last, foreign sale of the T.IVa.

The Hauge Herald, November 28
Fokker took advantage of a break in the weather to have the first test flight of the new Fokker-Avia monoplane fighter. The D.XIX is based on the Fokker D.XIV, but is of an all metal, streamlined construction rather than Fokker’s traditional mixed construction. The new prototype is currently equipped with the same engine as the D.XVIIb as the new engine intended for the plane has not cleared final tests.

The Amsterdam Advocate, December 1st
The Carrier CVxHund was taken into drydock today. A number of improvements to the superstructure are planned, including new elevator mechanisms, new handling equipment, an improved flash proof bomb hoist, and new fire suppression system. The Admiralty also plans to standardize the AA suite with the remainder of the fleet. Finally, the vessel will receive a fresh coat of paint and be returned to the fleet.

The Amsterdam Advocate, December 5th
A request by the TIDE commission to extend their stay in the Dutch East Indies has been granted. The commission will now depart for home on February 10th and is expected to present their report in April.

The Brussels Sprout, December 7th
The publishing of a monetary trail linking prominent Walloon companies with the rankings of politicians on several party lists has led to official murmurings for criminal investigations, but the body politic is evidencing severe displeasure with the new evidence of corruption in the party system. Party offices were ransacked and wild ideas are flying around. The timing of the publication by the Ghent Gazette, shortly after the release of an independent economic report blaming overly protectionist policies for dismal economic performance, policies which coincidentally favor the companies involved, is being called “irresponsible” by the Prime Minister.

The Batavia Bugle , December 14th
The capital was shocked today by news that Suwardi Suryoningrat and his family have been slain. Mr. Suryoningrat, his wife and three children were discovered at home this weekend by a cousin. Mr. Suryoningrat had long been a critic of the government and has published several works over the past twenty years which have been officially banned. Mr. Suryoningrat accepted a seat on the Governor-General’s advisory Raad van State formed this spring, which has resulted in the radical pro-independence Gapi party decrying him as a collaborationist. The police profess to have no suspects as of yet.

The Amsterdam Advocate, December 15th 1932
WAR! between Peru and Bolivia. Peru has apparently joined forces with Chile in the Bolivian war. Chile and Peru have recently settled their mutual border issued amicably. If only the Bolivians would be so reasonable.

The Hauge Herald, December 26th
The annual Christmas celebrations at the palace have been a smash hit. The smash was unfortunately Prince Alexander's new radio-controlled plane. An copy of a prototype developed by Phillips and Fokker, it survived just a half hour before smashing into the fountain, damaging the statue of the Prince's Great Grandfather. The scene became the subject of many well meant jokes at the young man expense such as "Good thing he'll be an admiral, not a pilot". However the evening continued it's good natured tone until late into the night.

Friday, December 8th 2006, 9:59am

Quoted

The government has placed an order with Fokker-America for a squadron of XA-7 attack planes.

But its ugly. The Ba. 65 looks positively charming and modern in comparison.

Friday, December 8th 2006, 3:51pm

You callin' my planes ugly? Dem dar's fightin' words! Its not ugly, its just special. :)

Friday, December 8th 2006, 5:28pm

Not as bad as the French, which look like they can't fly, but do.

Or the STS Space Shuttle, which looks like it can fly, but its actually just a brick.

Friday, December 8th 2006, 8:27pm

Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder.

Kaiser Kirk

Saturday, December 9th 2006, 12:54am

Hmm should I mention I generally like the look of Fairey aircraft also ? I think the XA-7 looks a little funny but decent- except the spats.

The actual delivered AC will be a bit different, adding a newer engine (the 749hp in the D.XVIIb), a canopy and ditching the spats. The plane will hopefully prove robust and reliable.

From planebuilder -
Fokker-America C.VII (XA0-7)
1933 monoplane all metal attack bomber
rough field
Crew : 2 – pilot & observer-rear gunner
Powerplant : 768hp Hispano-Suiza 12Y
Armament: 4 forward firing 7.9mm MG and 1 flexible 13.2mm. HMG for the rear gunner plus provisions for 488 lbs of bombs mounted on wing racks. 10mm radio.
Armor : 10mm disk
Range : 500nm at 147 knts
Rate of climb : 623 fpm at 100kts
Stall speed : 54kts
Ceiling : 20,750’
Max speed : 174kts (200 mph)
Corner Turn rate :: 32.9 degrees/sec
Manuever Turn rate : 8.3 degrees/sec
Weight (max) : 8,000 lbs
Weight (min) : 6,599 lbs
Cost : $40,000
Wing Span: 13.4m Length: 9.7 Wing Area: 57.5m2

Performance stripped : 187kts (215mph), 1,170 fpm rate of climb
(Source: Planebuilder)

Saturday, December 9th 2006, 6:05am

Quoted

Originally posted by CanisD
Ugly Airplanes

Two words: Caproni Stipa

Heh looks like a big fish tried to swallow a small plane...

Saturday, December 9th 2006, 11:33am

More akin to a beer barrel with wings. Thing is, it actually worked.

Does it really compare to this?

Flitzerart.com

Kaiser Kirk

Saturday, December 9th 2006, 11:04pm

Yikes there are some ugly aircraft on that site and that F.11 certainly belongs there.

I'm unsure which is the absolute worst, I'm going with the Westland-Hill Pterodactyl V, though that CA-60 (and others) are stiff competition. The Short S.B.3 has an unfortunate resemblance to an elephant seal.

I have to confess to liking a number of them, such as the AT-9, Goblin, Gannet and even the I-16.