You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Sunday, November 12th 2006, 11:32am

Heavenly Pursuits: Talons Special Edition

Argentina welocmes its new aircraft company, IMPA (Compania Industria Metalurgica & Plastica S.A.).

Originally formed to take over the firm of Lieneu & Cia, former agents for the Fisk Tyre & Rubber Company and Argentine distributors for Chrysler automoblies. It manufactures aluminium, lead and plastic articles and undertakes the production of ammuniton for the Argentine Armed Forces.

With investment from the Atlantean aircraft company Accrisius IMPA has started an aircraft division to build aircraft under licence.

A joint programme between FMA and Spartan has led to the design of three new types, a fighter, a bomber and a flying boat. A commercial design has also been created. IMPA will handle all the contracts for licence building these types in Argentina. Details are lacking but two data sheets have been released.

Special Report by Antonio Allegro Special Correspondent for Noticias Argentinas

Visit to Maquichao Research Station

Following the recent visit by the esteemed ‘Heavenly Pursuits’ reporter A. Fabio the news agency received a telephone call from a high official to cover the story of the visit by an Atlantean scientific mission led by Mr Minia, a distinguished scientist currently working on heat propulsion in Atlantis.

We drove the twenty-five miles from Maquichao and stopped at a checkpoint, here we met up with Senor Fabio, our guide and an Atlantean interpreter, another representative of FMA and our armed guard. We then drove up the hill to the main complex previously closed to all press. To the right was the massive 2500 acre factory site, not so much a factory as a huge chemical plant with miles of pipes and pumps and massive towers of steel and huge aluminium tanks reflecting the crisp morning sunlight. Our guide informed us the site was owned by the National Chemical Corporation (NCCA) and had its own controlled entrance. To our left is the temporary concrete factory churning out pre-fabricated panels, so great is the demand that almost all the concrete is made on site.

We drove up to the second checkpoint and here we dismounted from the car and walked to the headquarters building. To protect against blast all the administration buildings are on this side of the hill shielded from the test pads by the bulk of the hill. The Design & Technical building has massive windows that face over the valley while the Operations Building is a depressing concrete building looking more like a fortress than an office block. Once out of the car you notice the immense noise, the drilling and hammering and above us are cranes effortlessly lifting tons of concrete above our heads. Everywhere there are workmen, not just milling around but hard at work digging and building and welding and doing a thousand and one tasks. We are to meet Mr Minia at the Test Centre atop the hill; ahead of us is a long climb. As we go higher we can see more of the site and the immensity of the whole complex becomes apparent. Our guide has not stopped talking since we entered the site but as we reach the top and he too sees the massive factory site below he too stops to take it all in, for once he is speechless. The white hot heat of technology has come to the foothills of the Andes.

The Test Centre is a huge bunker dug into the top of the hill above the test stands and beside the giant reservoir that sits atop the hill. We enter and are ushered into a small windowless room. A gentle hum of the air pumps is pervading the whole structure, that and the smell of fresh paint. The walls are cream, the lower half in a dark shade of brown. In the centre of the room stooping over a table is the man himself, Minia. I have time to interview him through the interpreter while the FMA technician watches over us to make sure he says nothing too sensitive. He is a modest man with glasses low on his nose, he is greying on the sides and looks a little thin and the thin atmosphere and the cold do not help either. He has dressed smartly but he looks so obviously a professor, someone who is at home with rows of dials and fiddling with little models while lost in a sea of algebra.

“Well we have come here to check over these facilities, we wanted to build similar site ourselves but our FMA liaison manager one day said to my office we have this new place nearly finished if you come and visit we could arrange some co-operation together. So I’m here. Not to officially work on rockets for the Argentines but to get research data for our own projects.” He refused to comment on the rumours that Atlantis has paid 10 million Pesos towards this mammoth project, with a disarming smile he also dismisses speculation of joint programmes, “well we will have to see what the political and technological climate brings us, certainly this site will have everything we need.”

We continue our tour, we go over the hill and down towards the first large test pad. Here the hill has been levelled and controlled by man. The rear of the factory site now meets the assembly area. This is still a mass of scaffold poles and sheets of metal. This area leads directly to the massive flat deck of the pad. Connected to it is the A-frame concrete gantry, leading to it is a massive underground pipe. Our guide explains the whole water system of the site. “Because of the expected heat during prolonged firing trials we have to minimise structural damage to the stand. The water flows down from the top lake behind us by natural gravity and quenches the rocket exhaust; about 90,000 litres a minute can be discharged. It then flows down the large channels Senor Fabio inspected to the bottom lake to be pumped back up the hill. 90,000 litres a minute! Yet this man so matter-of-factly describes it as if he were filling up his bath! He continues, “We have enough water here for an hour of full testing in the top reservoir alone, we will eventually install a turbine in these pipes to generate our own electricity too, so you see we are really a self-contained unit.” Each of the three pads has its own pad and channels, all are linked by a fresh black asphalt road which turns in a great arc along the hill, all the pads facing out over the valley. The guide points east where the road aimlessly leads, that is where more stands will be built, this time without the water protection.

On the far side of the lower lake we can see another mass of buildings and construction equipment our guide only confirms that the lower site in the valley and up the far northerly hill will be the main aeronautical research area with wind tunnels, two 12-18 G centrifuges, pressurization chambers, temperature booths and other classified buildings. Like the design and administration areas this is still closed to us. On our way back to the car it becomes apparent the lengths gone to minimise the risks of fire and explosions. The factory site is marked by huge earthen banks and ponds for fire-fighting, blast pens protect the most important buildings and thick concrete bunkers house the delicate instruments and men.

As we leave it is hard not to be impressed, impressed by the brains behind the plant, impressed by the imagination needed to build this place, the determination to build such an ambitious scheme and draw into it the hopes of a generation. Most of the population is oblivious of this place yet someday the work began here may send men to the moon and the stars.

Sunday, November 12th 2006, 1:17pm

Looks like Fiat will have to rush to get their fighter into service a bit quicker than expected.

I can't say that I'm particularly keen on rockets myself. Damn dangerous things.

Sunday, November 12th 2006, 11:33pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Red Admiral
I can't say that I'm particularly keen on rockets myself. Damn dangerous things.

Heh, I beleive it when a Brit is telling me that!

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Monday, November 13th 2006, 2:43am

Isn´t it a bit early to introduce BLENHEIM bombers? Would a new company start with such a futuristic project? Historically the first Bristol Blenheims MK I (short nose) were delivered not earlier than March 1937 to Squadron 114. She does also not fit into the picture when compared to the companys latest fighter design - which has an open cockpit and fixed gear (making it more realistic for the time being).

I dare not to comment on the factory....

Monday, November 13th 2006, 3:11am

Quoted

Originally posted by HoOmAn
Isn´t it a bit early to introduce BLENHEIM bombers? Would a new company start with such a futuristic project? Historically the first Bristol Blenheims MK I (short nose) were delivered not earlier than March 1937 to Squadron 114.

Assuming a first flight in 1934, that's a +3 for years, which is in line with the generally assumed aircraft tech level. And it's not a new company's design - it's an Atlantean design, by the established Spartan company, being licence-built.
(Now what Bristol will think of it I dunno...)

Quoted

She does also not fit into the picture when compared to the companys latest fighter design - which has an open cockpit and fixed gear (making it more realistic for the time being).

Which is pretty much how things stood historically around this time. The B-10, B-15 and Blenheim had the fighters playing catch-up.

Monday, November 13th 2006, 4:36am

Time for me to buy a license for B-10s from Canis!

Monday, November 13th 2006, 8:14am

Time for me to start looking at B-17's!

Monday, November 13th 2006, 8:53am

What?! No B-2s, Canis???

Monday, November 13th 2006, 10:49am

They are not Blenheims! They only appear to be strikingly similar because of the drawing template James has used.

Blenheims fisrt flew in 1935 and given as Walter says our 3 year air tech rule I don't see how they are futuristic. When compaired to the Heinkel HE 111, her engines seem realistic as well.

She fits right inbetween the Junkers JU86 and the Boeing B-17 in terms of performance and closer to the former's weight class. The Junkers also has more powerfull engines and a larger bomb payload.

As for what Blenheim thinks, who knows? Its a home grown Atlantean design so I'm not sure what beef, if any, they would have.

The latest fighter design also has an open cockpit due to as James says, a pilots preferance. Swampy also hints towards the other issue of design practices of the time.

The F-9 "Storm" monoplane design is merely a logical progression from the F-8 "Cyclone" bi-plane while the vanquish is a fresh new design thats desperately needed to remodel an aging bomber fleet.

Monday, November 13th 2006, 11:02am

Quoted

Blenheims fisrt flew in 1935 and given as Walter says our 3 year air tech rule I don't see how they are futuristic.

I know nothing!! :-)

Monday, November 13th 2006, 11:17am

Woops that was acctually Swampy that stated that.

Its late here.....yeah thats my story and I'm sticking to it!

Monday, November 13th 2006, 11:29am

Well my arguements are as Wes sates.

It is not a Blenheim but it just looks like one with a nose. It is probably better than the Blenheim and if Bristol decides to build the Blenhiem they will look a little different. It is not futurisitc, not when you compare it with the leap of the I-100 and the real -world designs of the period and Germany's Do-17.

The fighter is more of a realistic design reflecting the conservative opinion of pilots. Of course a successor design may already be in the early stages.

Of course both Italy and Atlantis will have development batches of I-100s too.

As for rockets...well it's a long haul don't expect any V-2s for at least 15 years. Aircraft rocket engines might be a bit sooner.

RA, a nice sleek design.

Monday, November 13th 2006, 11:31am

Agree on the rockets issue allthough it will spawn another smaller more sinister weapon....

Monday, November 13th 2006, 2:51pm

Quoted

Time for me to buy a license for B-10s from Canis!

Don't forget the floatplane version. ^_^

Monday, November 13th 2006, 4:08pm

Bazookas?

Time I started working on them Halifaxes, the Vimys are just too old.

Argentina going to the moon!? Now that is surprising.
*starts working on Mars program in Mexico*

Planning on building Me-163s?

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Monday, November 13th 2006, 5:43pm

That Italian bird looks like a Zeros fuselage married with a cockpit section of a French Mirage 5 jet and a German Argus 10c engine.... ;o)

Monday, November 13th 2006, 6:35pm

Strange you think that when its actually an Ambrosini Supersette (late model with Alfa engine). The pic has been slightly modified to accomodate a larger engine forwards. Limited power so need to go for streamlining instead. Problems with drag if adopting open cockpit, but still need good visibility so a spacious bubble instead. Reasonable power, light weight and large wing will make for maneuverability better than the biplanes it replaces (as was the case with C.200 vs CR.42 in OTL)

With the B-1 Vanquish, do you have any more stats? Especially weights? 1000hp radials will weigh quite a lot at this time and this'll impact range significantly. 2000m with 1000lb seems quite high.

It's not really that advanced compared to SM.79 and Do 17

Monday, November 13th 2006, 6:52pm

Germany's planning on having the competition between the He-112 and the Me-109 (with others dropping out) in 1933.

Tuesday, November 14th 2006, 2:06pm

Well Argentina is not going to the moon just yet. That would take thirty+ years of research in multiple areas of technology. I was aiming at engines while Atlantis handles the rockets. V-2 type rockets are not my priority. Smaller 150-210mm rocket artillery will be much more useful.

As for rocket fighters it's hard to say. An Me-263 seems very unlikely without German help (Horten brothers and Kurt Tank both worked in Argentina post ww2). Think more of the Soviet BI rocket fighter. I'm working on the engines first to perfect them and fitting a fighter around that later.

Tuesday, November 14th 2006, 2:18pm

Given the way things are going, the Horten brothers and Kurt Tank are likely to have PLENTY of work to keep them busy in Germany for a while. Besides, the Me-163's really only a useful design in certain specific circumstances, which hopefully Argentina will avoid finding itself in. Not to mention that to duplicate it, you'd probably want Helmuth Walter as well, and he's DEFINITELY busy in Germany right now.