You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Monday, August 21st 2006, 12:58am

Extra-ordinary Meeting......

3rd January 1932
Office of the Chief of Naval Operations
The Admiralty Building
Copenhagen

14 men stood in small groups in the well appointed, but not lavish office. They were not the same 14 as had gathered here in November, Commodore Schmidt having returned to Siam after news of the “El Derretir” epidemic that appeared to be sweeping the region, to co-ordinate efforts to safeguard Danish civilian contractors and naval personnel. This time the discussions were not of what might be happening in the various development sections of the Navy, but of the plans for the withdrawal from Siam.

Outside the office, the sounds of approaching footsteps heralded the rest of the meeting’s attendees. The office door swung open, and as all present came to attention, Admiral Andrae ushered in his guests, The Greve Kronborg and Herr Olaf Pedersen, and the Siamese Ambassador, His Excellency Chatichai Choonhavan, and his aides.
The door closed behind the Admiral, and he turned to the assembled officers.

“Good morning gentlemen, thank you for returning. Allow me to introduce His Excellency Chatichai Choonhavan, Siamese Ambassador to Denmark, and Captain Tengku Nowarat, military attaché at the Siamese Embassy. His Majesty has specifically requested that the ambassador be informed of our plans for the withdrawal to Phuket, and I have asked him to attend this meeting so as to hear first hand our proposed plan of action.”
“Thank you Admiral, I am honoured by your most gracious invitation. I hope I cause no offence by asking Captain Nowarat to attend as my advisor. I am afraid that I know little of military affairs.” said the ambassador with a slight bow to his host.
The Greve Kronborg interrupted the Admiral before he could reply. “I think I speak for the Admiral when I say that you would not be the shrewd diplomat we all know you to be if you were not to have the captain accompany you to this meeting”.
The ambassador smiled at the man who had become a close friend over their many games of chess. “You embarrass me with praise, your Lordship! Shall I send the cheque to the usual address?” he chuckled. “Quietly please! The tax collectors have spies everywhere!” Kronborg replied as he guided his friend to their chairs.
The admiral cleared his throat to regain the attention of his men.
“Let us begin. Rear Admiral Bluhme, would you start with your presentation regarding the Siamese end of our plans, and we shall then work through each department in turn.”
“Certainly Sir!”

…………

The Admiral sat back and listened to his men go through their presentations.
He was pleased with the level of attention to detail that was contained in their reports.
Although this whole affair was happening almost 20 years ahead of the original plans for the withdrawal from Siam, (he had hoped that he would be enjoying his retirement on Bornholm with his grandchildren before having to deal with what he saw as being a excellent recipe for disaster …oh well, so much for the best laid plans of mice and admirals!) he was beginning to believe that his men had already drawn up provisional plans for their departments in the past, their plans were very complete, given the short timeframe that they had to prepare them and the level of detail.

………….

Admiral Moltke finished his overview. “We believe Sir, that disaster withholding; we have every chance of making this transition a clean and painless affair. It will take hard work, but I firmly believe that we will succeed on schedule.”
Admiral Andrae rose from his chair. ”Thank you all gentlemen, for your hard work.
Considering the hour, I suggest that we break for lunch in the officer’s mess, and this afternoon, we can start to get things underway. Your Excellency, Greve Kronborg, would you do me the honour of dining at my table?”

Monday, August 21st 2006, 2:08am

(...and here I was hoping the Danes would be deciding to do the Saudi stomp! )

Monday, August 21st 2006, 2:17am

Check the date, it hasn't happened yet in the Danish timeline!!

Monday, August 21st 2006, 2:20am

Yes, but...

...that was what popped into my head when I saw the thread title.

Well, that and a certain League... ^_^