You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Monday, July 10th 2006, 5:14pm

Australian News 1931

Cairns sunk!
Febuary 14th

The RAN has just released the news that the Light Cruiser Cairns has been sunk in action against pirates in the South Pacific.

Sydney avenges Cairns!
March 2nd

The cruiser Sydney famous for its victory over the Emden has engaged and destroyed a pirate cruiser. Cairns has been avenged!

ATPA buys zeppelin!
April1st

The Australian Trans-Pacific Airlines has announced its purchase of a zeppelin from Germany. The zeppelin, to be named Southern Cross , is expected to be finished in November and will probably arrive in Australia sometime in the spring of 1932.

Artist Conception:

Schneider Entry
May 1st

Australia has revealed its entry for the Schneider Trophy. Working in conjuction with Gloster, CAC has unveiled its entry, the CAC/Gloster VI.

Technical data :

Engine: 1 x Napier Lion VIID, 984kW, wingspan: 7.92m, length: 8.23m, height: 3.29m, wing area: 9.85m2, start mass: 1669kg, empty mass: 1036kg, max speed: 565kph
http://avia.russian.ee/air/england/gloster-6.html

Sydney Home!
June 1st

Sydney returned home today. Thousands of spectators cheered the cruiser home. The RAN has unveiled its plans to turn Sydney into a museum honoring those who fell in the Great War and the Royal Australian Navy. The Museum which will be built under the newly completed Sydney Bridge is expected to open in the summer of 1932.

Monday, July 10th 2006, 7:54pm

Got to wonder if its actually worth having an airline linking Australia with the outside world? IIRC the only flights coming into Australia were mainly record attempts to Darwin.

For Schneider trophy - government subsidy i assume as theres no way of private hands financing it. I don't think it has much chance against the S.6b unless something breaks.

Monday, July 10th 2006, 9:36pm

Not to be fussy, but there's a South African airship by the name of Southern Cross.

Monday, July 10th 2006, 11:49pm

If we were to assume that the language in Wesworld's South Africa is the same as todays Afrikaans, then I guess the actual name would be Suider Kruis... or something like that. I need to check my dictionary at home for that. South Africa could always try to sue Australia for the use of that name, but I am not sure if it would work back in those days the way it does now.
^_^

Quoted

I don't think it has much chance against the S.6b unless something breaks.

I wouldn't be surprised if he has a few Saboteurs ready somewhere.

Tuesday, July 11th 2006, 5:24pm

"Disaster for Italy's Schneider Cup attempt! Eyewitnesses report that last night a masked man stole the S.6B seaplane being prepared for the great trophy race..."

~later~

"The stolen seaplane racer has been found...crashed into the Colisseum. Although the pilot who stole the aircraft has not been found, reportedly the Roma police have picked up a Japanese man who was wandering about asking directions to the nearest aerodrome..."

Tuesday, July 11th 2006, 5:27pm

Oh no! He's on the loose again!!!
Wait until you see what I created about him before I went on holiday. :-)

Tuesday, July 11th 2006, 7:33pm

Removal of the Supermarine S6b would be quite good for Italy as it would come with the postponing of the race until 1932 at least. Unfortunately the Macchi MC.72 isn't running satisfactorally till 34 or so, when it is unstoppable.

Tuesday, July 11th 2006, 9:47pm

Looks like the reporter was as "geographically challenged" as the pilot was. ;-)

Thursday, August 10th 2006, 3:56am

CAC Shrike flies!
September 1st

CAC announced today the first flight of the CAC-7 Shrike Fighter. CAC has orders for 12 fighters. Delivery of the first production version is expected to be in April 1932.

Pilot wins Prize!
October 15th?

Flt Officer G. Curtis of the RANAS won a Silver Medal at the Talons Over Cordoba Fighter Contest for his sparkling performance in the Sopwith Snipe.

The RANAS took the oportunity to announced the purchase of 48 F4B fighters and 24 T4M Torpedo bombers. The F4Bs will allow the retirement from active service of the Venerable Snipe. The RANAS intends to start a demonstration team using the Snipe to be headed by Flt Officer G. Curtis. The team is to be called the Black Swans.

Flt Officer G. Curtis and his Snipe:

Zeppelin Base Opens!
November 5th

Today was the christening of the new zeppelin base at Sydney. The Prime Minister was present for the ceremony. The RAN took the opportunity to anounce the order of two improved R100 zeppelins from the United Kingdom. Meanwhile construction continues at the larger military zeppelin base.

Artist conception of the two airships:

(OOC The zeppelins will be longer improved versions of the R100. They willl be powered by the same engines as LZ-130, and they have an American style hangar)

Southern Cross Flies!
December 16th

News have just arrived from Germany that the zeppelin Southern Cross has flown for the first time.

Friday, August 11th 2006, 5:36am

I forgot a very importan news.

New ships for RASSL!
Nobember 1st

The Royal Australian Steamship Lines has announced its order of two Aircraft Carrying Mail Steamers. These ships will be around 15,000 tons, have a speed of 24 kts, and the capability to carry 10 mail planes. These will allow the Mail Steamers to compete against larger, faster, foreign ships. The first one is expected to complete in 1933 and is to be named RAMS Princess Vespa.

[IMG]
[URL]http://img359.imageshack.us/img359/5152/mail1carrier1sf.jpg[/URL][/IMG]

Friday, August 11th 2006, 5:42am

How many slabs to get those past the House?

Oy, Civi Carriers, Bruce.

Friday, August 11th 2006, 3:27pm

Seems like a waste of Australia's treaty allocations, really.

Friday, August 11th 2006, 3:34pm

I would think that these are actually "auxilaries constructed with Government Furnished Equipment" like the Philippines' Orca-type whale factories: nominally civilian, but liable for impressment(-and-a-refit) in a crisis.

Friday, August 11th 2006, 3:38pm

Doesn't matter. So far as India is concerned, these are aircraft carriers, just as the two Italian "cruisers" are aircraft carriers. The fact that the two nations are hiding behind legal technicalities doesn't change this.

From a different perspective, I fail to see the logic in investing in "shadow carriers" when Australia hasn't actually built any proper carriers yet.

Friday, August 11th 2006, 3:39pm

Hmmmm

I actually 'mentally read' it as seaplane carriers (Maya/Mercury?), if they're flattops than I'll have to agree with ya.

Friday, August 11th 2006, 3:41pm

Click on the link...

Friday, August 11th 2006, 5:17pm

But that would be the normal thing to do... ^_^

(And is it just me or is all that junk on the bow in the way anyway?)

Friday, August 11th 2006, 5:20pm

I'm kind of puzzled by the foremast, myself.

Friday, August 11th 2006, 5:29pm

Needs to move.

Quoted

I'm kind of puzzled by the foremast, myself.

That's for the sail...

...as it appears to not have an engine at least from the lack of either a stack, or propellers.

Friday, August 11th 2006, 6:36pm

Quoted

From a different perspective, I fail to see the logic in investing in "shadow carriers" when Australia hasn't actually built any proper carriers yet.
They are civilian steamships. The company is after money and they arent concerned if the RAN has carriers or not. The first one has already been laid down.

They are unarmed and the AC carried are unarmed, so officialy they are Civilian Merchants and not RAN Warships, so they are not restricted by treaty. Course you can see it anyway you want. (OOC They do have "Government Furnished Equipment" and they are liable for impressment(-and-a-refit) in a crisis) But their main job is to make money (for the owners)

As to the mast:

Quoted

The mast was said to be not a problem because aircraft took off quickly but if it did become a problem an alternate folding mast and derrick was proposed

From: http://www.phpbbplanet.com/warshipprojec…warshipprojects