You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Saturday, August 7th 2004, 4:10am

Joint Press release of the French and German governments

Grenoble, 29 October 1923

The Premier of France, M. Herriot, and Chancellor of Germany, M. Cuno, have concluded negotiations on an agreement on mutual renunciation of all financial claims arising from the Great War. In his comments, Premier Herriot summed up the results of the Grenoble discussions thus:

"Today we have resolved to remove the largest obstacle to reconciliation between France and Germany. In doing so, we have been mindful of the sacrifices of the Great War. Indeed, our motive was to end a process which, we could clearly see, would only result in a further embitterment of our relations, and lead to another catastrophy.

Now, with this vexatious issue settled, France and Germany can together put their energies into building the future."

Saturday, August 7th 2004, 4:13pm

Quoted

Now, with this vexatious issue settled, France and Germany can together put their energies into building the future.

Building the Future?
Future of their Navies?
Does that mean that the Treaty of Versailles will soon be altered or removed completely?
Does that mean that Germany will sign the Treaty of Cleito once this obstacle is removed?
Perhaps... Perhaps not.
Only time will tell.

Saturday, August 7th 2004, 4:21pm

Answers

Quoted

Building the Future?

Yup. Unencumbered by past hostilities.

Quoted

Future of their Navies?

Certainly.

Quoted

Does that mean that the Treaty of Versailles will soon be altered or removed completely?

That very much remains to be seen, and was not a subject of discussion between the French and German governments.

Quoted

Does that mean that Germany will sign the Treaty of Cleito once this obstacle is removed?

That is even more speculative.

Quoted

Perhaps... Perhaps not. Only time will tell.

The future... lies in the future.

Saturday, August 7th 2004, 4:30pm

Quoted

The future... lies in the future.

The Shogun wonders if the French representative meant 'lies' when he mentioned 'lies' or that he meant 'lies' when he mentioned 'lies'...

Saturday, August 7th 2004, 4:52pm

From the Filipino Government

The Government of the Philippines is grateful that the great nations of France and Germany have succeeded in, as the Americans say, 'burying the hatchet', and hope that this leads to a new era of peace and prosperity in both their countries.

(OOC Note 1: The Philippines felt the Treaty of Versailles set a dangerous precident for future peace arrangements, being far and away more draconian than past agreements regarding vanquished-but-not-conqured nations. We would be quite happy to see it gone...)

(OOC Note 2: Where exactly has our German player gotten himself to, anyway?)

Saturday, August 7th 2004, 8:34pm

I think Rocky is on vacation.....lucky sod!!!

Saturday, August 7th 2004, 10:23pm

"I think Rocky is on vacation"

Thats where the joint press release comes in handy!

.....lucky sod!!!

Indeed.... I'd love to have a few days off work.

Saturday, August 7th 2004, 10:27pm

Less than two weeks for me now.

Sunday, August 8th 2004, 8:52pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Rooijen10
The Shogun wonders if the French representative meant 'lies' when he mentioned 'lies' or that he meant 'lies' when he mentioned 'lies'...

Therein lies the question....

Monday, August 9th 2004, 2:31pm

Yup, I took a week of vacation, though it wasn't exactly relaxing. Considerable amounts of driving were involved.

But I did see Canada's war museum and aviation museum, the latter having a 100+ aircraft including WW1 vintage fighters and a Gotha bomber.

Some Q1 German news will be posted in the next day or two with comments on the joint press release. As the Reichstag elections will take place in Q2, the reparations issue is likely to influence the outcome.

As for Versailles, we'll see...

J

Monday, August 9th 2004, 3:51pm

Welcome back Rocky! I was worried you'd become dinner for a polar bear or something. ;)

Monday, August 9th 2004, 4:11pm

A wasp was the nastiest thing to take a piece out of me last week, and a can of insecticide repaid that favor back in spades.

Monday, August 9th 2004, 7:48pm

To paraphrase - "Ahhhh... I love the sweet smell of Raid in the morning!!"

Monday, August 9th 2004, 7:57pm

...smells like victory!!