You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Monday, March 21st 2016, 10:29pm

On inviting public participation in ship-naming

Monday, March 21st 2016, 10:48pm

Oh dear...

Monday, March 21st 2016, 11:31pm

I think that the name Boaty McBoatface fits the vessel well. Maybe Hood should name one of the British vessels like that. :)

Tuesday, March 22nd 2016, 10:26am

Yeah, I don't know what's with society these days but it seems like people have become jaded, cynical and just generally want to throw a wrench in whatever they can for kicks. The most recent example I can think of was when fans voted for the most average player possible to participate in the NHL All-star game and found John Scott, an average player who happened to be more of an enforcer. That story however had a nice twist when the man who had no goals in the regular season to that point, was traded from Phoenix to Montreal because he wouldn't remove himself from the upcoming game, then Montreal demoted him to the minors saying it was only a business decision and not an attempt to keep him out of the all-star game. Scott wound up going to the game anyway and scored 2 goals as a player from no team because he was in the minors and was the teams MVP ironically because of the voting process during the game!

The particular voting campaign however may not have the same happy outcome. That said I'd probably wind up voting for "Pillar of Autumn"....

Tuesday, March 22nd 2016, 2:30pm

Sadly not the British public's finest hour.
My work colleagues do find it amusing though.

Tuesday, March 22nd 2016, 3:16pm

I think Stephen Colbert was theoretically to be the name of both a space station module and a bridge in Hungary.

Everything is, or can be, a joke, it seems.

Friday, March 25th 2016, 5:54am

Whoops! Just accidentally hit the vote button! Guess I should accept punishment and name one of my merchant ships Boaty McBoatface Maru. :D

Ah well, it is only about 74000 votes ahead of 2nd place... :)