You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Tuesday, July 13th 2004, 5:27pm

All things great and small

A factfile for Wesworld ships; there will be no chance that everyone agrees.

Largest; HMS HOOD

Smallest; Walter's rowing boat

Fastest(AH only); 34knts for my Palestro-class DD's?

Slowest; anything without engines

Most powerful ship; HMS Hood?

Largest Carrier;?

Largest Cruiser; El Cid

Largest light Cruiser; one of those Atlantean ships

Largest destroyer;?

Tuesday, July 13th 2004, 5:38pm

Quoted

Smallest; Walter's rowing boat

I do seem to remember that I put an engine in that boat. It could be one of the slowest things around that actually has an engine.

Walter

Tuesday, July 13th 2004, 5:43pm

I also seem to remember it had a beam of less than 1m making it nearly impossible to sit in.

Tuesday, July 13th 2004, 6:21pm

Yes. The first attempts were a bit odd... but so is the ship they were made for.

Tuesday, July 13th 2004, 6:41pm

fastest: Aveda Kedavra at 34.5 knots

Wednesday, July 14th 2004, 12:01am

Largest carrier: ANS Arrogant 33,553 tons (may shrink abit after a post trials tweak)

Fastest Atlantian ship: Admiralty type 2 class DD's 35.5 knots

Largest light cruiser: ANS Active 7,774 tons after her rebuild.

Slowest ship: the Armored Cruiser ANS Lyra (ex-Mauritania), currently a museum ship, with no engines or working guns.

Largest DD: Italian Verese class 2,013 tons

Smallest DD's: Some of those early Iberian designs

Most powerfull BB, Nagato? with 12x15" IIRC..

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Wednesday, July 14th 2004, 12:52am

hmmm

Largest CL: RSAN San Lorenzo (8037ts standard)

Smallest CL: RSAN WASP (2092ts standard)

Smallest DD: RSAN Falcon (1318ts standard) [note: there´s also LD RSAN Taygete with 600ts but she´s not rated a DD under CT terms)

Smallest CV: RSAN Wim Kraash (6897ts standard)

Smallest SS: RSAN H-class (422ts standard)

Largest SS: RSAN J-class (1164ts standard)

Smallest AV: RSAN Trym (2051ts standard)

Wednesday, July 14th 2004, 11:08pm

Smallest Submarine: Znanya (63 tons Standard)

Deepest-diving Submarine: Znanya (Op depth 505 ft)

Most powerful BB: Imperator Petr Veliki (would break Hood in half, if she could catch Hood, but is watching the completion of MM Lepanto with a degree of concern...)

Wednesday, July 14th 2004, 11:14pm

Quoted

Most powerful BB: Imperator Petr Veliki (would break Hood in half, if she could catch Hood, but is watching the completion of MM Lepanto with a degree of concern...)

Yes, Lepanto will be quite a beast, even if the armour is slightly thin.

Nagato has 12x360mm=14.1" guns. Have you simmed those Admiralty class DDs BTW?

HoOmAn

Thursday, July 15th 2004, 12:09am

Something´s wrong...

Atlantis - for example - has many "largest" and "fastest" etc. but the RSAN has most "smallest"....?!

Not very healthy, though.

Thursday, July 15th 2004, 1:02am

The Admiralty 2 class have been simmed and are in the fleet list on the infrastructure board. They are poor seaboats so their speed is only legendary in a calm sea in reality.

The closest thing to Hood in the Atlantean fleet would be the Vengeance class BC's.

Thursday, July 15th 2004, 7:35pm

Quoted

The Admiralty 2 class have been simmed and are in the fleet list on the infrastructure board. They are poor seaboats so their speed is only legendary in a calm sea in reality.

Well, if they are anything like the design I managed to create using the limited data in that list, they are poor seaboats indeed.

Thursday, July 15th 2004, 10:25pm

Thread going downhill from here...

THE THREE WISE KATO'S

Voiceover: ‘Welcome to this year’s Great Warships of our Navy, the Japanese edition. And as ever it is presented by the Minister of Navy. Let’s welcome the current Minister of Navy, Admiral Kato Tomosaburo-sama!!!’
Crowd: *Applause*
Voiceover: ‘As usual, accompanied by his loyal aides Kato-san and Kato-san (as usual fighting with his friend)!!!!’
Admiral Kato: ‘Thank you everyone. It is a great honor to host this year’s event. As usual the are a variety of categories in which a ship can become a winner. Whenever displacements are mentioned, we are referring to the ship’s normal displacement.’
Kato (GH): ‘There are various categories and each category has several contenders. The winner will be decided based on the statistics available to us and with various categories based on the Jury's decision.’
Kaetuza: 'That's me.'
Kato (PP): ‘Awards are given in the following categories: “Greatest ship of the Navy” category, “Largest warship” category, “Smallest warship” category, “Fastest warship” category, “Slowest (complete) warship” category, “Greatest range at 15kts” category, “Shortest range at 15kts” category, “Most powerful ship” category, “Thirstiest ship at 15kts” category, “Most economic ship at 15kts” category, “Largest Carrier” category, “Smallest Carrier” category, “Largest Cruiser” category, “Largest light cruiser” category, “Smallest Cruiser” category, “Largest destroyer” category, “Smallest destroyer” category, “Most extras” category, “Most ridiculous extras” category, and “Most unusual color scheme” category.’
Admiral Kato: ‘We shall start with the first category. Kato-san!’
Kato (GH): ‘Ah yes. The “Most unusual color scheme” category. There were a great many contenders for this category. The first contender is the Kameko-chan with it’s unusual use of paint, mixing red and white paint. And the other 405 contenders of the navy are the rest of the fleet using the usual boring dull gray paint.’
Admiral Kato: ‘Very good Kato-san. And the winner is…’ *opens envelope* ‘… The pink-colored Kameko-chan!!!’
Kameko-chan captain (to his officers): ‘Shimatta!! Let’s get out of here quickly!’ *quickly leaves the hall*.
Admiral Kato: ‘Captain! Come forward!’
---Kameko-chan captain nowhere to be seen.---
Admiral Kato: ‘… Ehm… we could always… send it by mail to him… I suppose…’
Empress Kameko: *appears out of nowhere* ^_^ ‘Yay! I will take that award. The ship does happen to belong to me.’ *snatches award* ‘It is a great honor to receive this award. I’d like to thank my family and friends and the ship’s crew and the designers without whom, this would not have been possible. Thank you!’ *goes back to seat*
Admiral Kato: ‘… Your majesty… thank you for accepting the award’ *bows* ‘Kato-san, the next category, please.’
Kato (PP): ‘The “Most extras” category. Not many contenders in this category though. The first contender is the Kameko-chan with all the extras for Her Majesty the Empress. The second contender is the Go-ni class, special coastal troop-carrying vessel with many extras for the brave troops aboard.’
Admiral Kato: ‘… That’s it?’
Kato (PP): ‘That’s all of them.’
Admiral Kato: ‘… And the winner is…’ *opens envelope* ‘… The Kameko-chan again!!!’
Admiral Kato: ‘Very popular ship, despite the dubious color.’
Empress Kameko: *appears out of nowhere* ^_^ ‘Yay! Another award for me.’ *snatches award* ‘It is a great honor to receive this second award. I’d like to thank my family and friends and the ship’s crew and the designers without whom, this would not have been possible. Thank you!’ *goes back to seat*
Admiral Kato: ‘… thank… you…’
Kato (GH): ‘The admiral seems to be lost for words… so we shall move on to the next category: the “Most ridiculous extras” category. Not many contenders in this category either. The first contender is the Kameko-chan… with the 12 inch armored swimming pool, the 17 inch armored bedroom for the empress, the armored guard deck, the stables, and various other dubious extras. The second contender is…’ *looks at paper* ‘There are no other contenders.’
Admiral Kato: ‘… And the winner is… well, I won’t bother to open the envelope for this category. Again the Kameko-chan.’
Admiral Kato: ‘Very popular ship indeed, despite the embarrassing color.’
Empress Kameko: *appears out of nowhere* ^_^ ‘Yay! And another award for me!’ *snatches award* ‘It is a great honor to receive this third award. I’d like to thank my family and friends and the ship’s crew and the designers without whom, this would not have been possible. Thank you!’ *goes back to seat*
Admiral Kato: ‘… standard speech…’
Kato (PP): ‘The following category is…’
Admiral Kato: ‘Let’s just move on to the last category. We’ll post all the winners on the large announcement board outside, tomorrow.’
Kato (PP): ‘Very good, boss. The following category is the “Greatest ship of the Navy” category. The selection has been narrowed down to the next classes: The Fuso-class, the Nagato-class, and the Zuiho-class.’
Admiral Kato: ‘… And the winner is…’ *opens envelope* ‘… And it’s clear that someone has bribed the Jury… for it is the Kameko-chan!!’
Empress Kameko: *appears out of nowhere* ^_^ ‘Yay! And another award for me!’ *snatches award* ‘It is a great honor, etc. You know the speech...’
Admiral Kato: ‘… I think I’m going to retire now…’

Greatest Warship of the Navy (due to bribery): Kameko-chan
Largest warship: Nagato (45,945t) *
Smallest warship: Shi-ichi (330t)

Fastest warship: Kamikaze/Minekaze (32kts)
Slowest (complete) warship: Ie ni (14kts)

Greatest range at 15kts: Zuiho (22,905nm) **
Shortest range at 15kts: Ki-ichi (1,240nm)

Most powerful ship: Nagato (18,532 lbs broadside)
Thirstiest ship at 15kts: Fuso (2.366nm per ton)
Most economic ship at 15kts: Shi Ichi (40.889 nm per ton)

Largest Carrier: Zuiho (33,943 t)
Smallest Carrier: Hosho (9,507t)

Largest Cruiser: Jakumo (13,750 t)
Largest light Cruiser: Kameko-chan (8,823t)
Smallest Cruiser: Tenryu (6,638t)

Largest destroyer: Minekaze (1,920t)
Smallest destroyer: Ki-ichi (651t)

Most extras: Kameko chan
Most ridiculous extras: Kameko-chan (armored swimming pool, armored bedrooms, etc)
Most unusual color scheme: Kameko-chan (pink)

* If my guess is correctly, then Nagato’s normal displacement makes her bigger than Hood.
** The main reason for that range is to get the Zuiho under 27,000 tons. Big shocking fact: Nagato the Boiler is not in second place! Fuso comes in second and snatches the ‘Boiler Award’ with 17,200nm at 15kts and Nagato is a sloppy third with a mere 15,295nm at 15kts.

Thursday, July 15th 2004, 10:31pm

You have far too much time on your hands Walter.

For largest warship; HMS Hood is still 860ft long and 105ft in beam. Thats still largest, if not by displacement.

Thursday, July 15th 2004, 11:44pm

Well, length-wise, Hood would clearly be the winner by 50 feet and can claim the title of the longest (unless there is another ship that is longer), but when I look at 'largest' I look at displacement, not length. Hood is the larger ship when looking at standard displacement (due to Nagato's great range), but since all ships we design use the dimensions and BC of the ship at normal displacement, I look at that rather than standard to determine the larger ship.

BTW, why is Sping Sharp Hood simmed without TDS while Springstyle Hood does have TDS?

HoOmAn

Friday, July 16th 2004, 12:41am

"BTW, why is Sping Sharp Hood simmed without TDS while Springstyle Hood does have TDS?"

Good question... And here´s another:

Where is the summer this year?

*grumble*

Friday, July 16th 2004, 1:29am

From an Irish point of view, it WAS 2 weeks ago, on Thursday between 3.15 and 3.35 pm!!!!!

Friday, July 16th 2004, 2:50am

The summer here in Vancouver is mighty fine indeed! I'll make sure I enjoy it on your behalf guys!

Friday, July 16th 2004, 3:18am

Marina de Filipina:

Largest ship: Luzon-class CA, 15,966t normal

Heaviest broadside: Manila-class predred, 5,265 lbs

Biggest gun: 12" / 305mm, Manila-class predred

Smallest ship: MSC-1 class coastal minesweeper, 219t normal

Friday, July 16th 2004, 2:48pm

Regia Marina

Largest: Francesco Caracciolo (32,800t)

Fastest: Palestro (34knts+) but i've simmed Capitani Romani and managed to get 36.69knts from her. Thats a bit in the future however.

Smallest: MAS type 1917 (12t)

Largest Cruiser: San Marco (but shes rated as a capital ship)

Best Cruiser: Regina Elana (250mm belt armour and 12x8" guns)

Largest destroyer: Varese (2000t)

Most beautiful ship in the world: Francesco Caracciolo (even without being painted pink)