You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Wednesday, October 11th 2006, 12:07am

On a factory floor in Ballerup, Copenhagen.....

Wolfgang stood in the midst of a cathederal of industry.
Overhead, gantry cranes swung loads of raw materials and finished goods with a precision and grace that inspired, suspended below a roof made of lattice work beams that soared across the span of the factory, whilst all around him, machines of differing size and purpose went about their business, producing various goods and parts. The cacophony of noise, if it could be called so, had an almost musical quality; steam whistling from valves, metal ringing against metal, chains jingling from hoists, boogies clattering along rails set into the floor.
"As you can see Herr Rohrbach, we have the capacity to deal with just about any size of order, but we were just a little confused by your request." Max Schroder chuckled as he conducted Wolfgang on a tour of the facilities.
"It was only after your colleague Dipl.Ing. Simon explained the purpose of the piping that your order started to make sense." added Johann, "but I must admit I am still confused."

The 3 men walked back into the offices, closing doors behind them, seperating them from the music of industry behind them. "I can understand why our query would cause some confusion. There are not many of the devices around, and they tend to be in government run establishments. We are likely to be one of the first private companies to have one available on our own premises" Wolfgang explained. "If you have a piece of paper, I can sketch it for you?"
They stepped into Johann's office, Johann turning to a sideboard to get some glasses to celebrate the contract ,and as Wolfgang took a seat in front of the desk, Max placed a pencil and notepaper in front of Wolfgang, "If you wouldn't mind?" he asked, "you have my curiosity peaked".
Wolfgang started to draw to basic outline, explaining as he laid out the principal components. "The reason we asked you to manufacture it from steel, is to prevent any flex due to humidity, as you would get from wood, or air pressure, also a problem with wood. The British discovered this about 20 years ago with their first one. The Americans tried metal for the first time about 10 years ago, and their unit gives excellent results because of this."

Johann returned with 3 glasses of Schnapps, offering them to Wolfgang and Max, as Wolfgang finished his drawing.
"Now that I see it, it all makes sense!" he exclaimed.
Max raised his glass. "A toast. To a succesful project!"
Johann replied "To a lack of confusion!"
Woflgang laughed "To not having to spend hours standing in my father's auto driving around the airfield with the roof down!"

Wednesday, October 11th 2006, 12:23am

..BRILLIANT!

Wednesday, October 11th 2006, 2:16am

Ah, a wind tunnel!

Wednesday, October 11th 2006, 11:34am

Not quite the first private company to own a tunnel. Rolls-Royce were operating at least one at Derby during this period. Then theres the government one at RAe.

In Italy I'm not sure of private companies but most of the work is at Guidonia outside Rome (named after Generale Giudoni, inventor of many things) where the world's only supersonic wind tunnel existed. Lots of other tunnels for RAV-Schneider trophy work there as well.

I'm a little surprised at the shape. Really you want Venturi-section and not just a normal cylinder.

Wednesday, October 11th 2006, 11:38pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Red Admiral

I'm a little surprised at the shape. Really you want Venturi-section and not just a normal cylinder.

These are just the parts that Johann Johannsen and Co are supplying. Bladmetal Fabrikere of Roskilde are producing the venturi and stator vanes.

And considering the company folded in the real world by now, lets call it artistic licence!

Thursday, October 12th 2006, 9:47am

Pfft, compared to what I'm building at Maquichao this wind tunnel is a back room project.

A contract with Johann Johannsen and Co and Bladmetal Fabrikere of Roskilde would be very lucrative I think for the scheme I have in mind.

Would concrete make a better wind tunnel than wood or even steel?

Thursday, October 12th 2006, 3:54pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Hood
Would concrete make a better wind tunnel than wood or even steel?

Well, if you can get the forming to hold up to the weight of concrete as it's poured, it sure won't flex!!