You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Saturday, March 21st 2009, 5:38pm

Drydock capacity

We already have a well established rule for multiple ships in a drydock, lengthwise, but I wanted to bring up for discussion (either for implemention now, or at least something to keep in mind for the future) what seems to be a more common arrangement; side-by-side.

It seems to me that most historical cases of drydocks servicing multiple ships occur with the ships being side-by-side rather than fore & aft; a most notable occurance that comes to mind is the famous pictures of Cassin and Downes in front of Pennsylvania in the aftermath of the Pearl Harbor attack.

Before getting into the details tho, I'd like to hear if the rest of you think this a consideration worth pursuing, or if the end result would be a bit unbalancing.

Saturday, March 21st 2009, 6:35pm

Hmm... a good point to consider, actually.

My suggestion would be for a rule of thumb that a drydock width is 1/5th it's length. So a Class 2 drydock is 111.4 feet, plenty wide enough to take two destroyers, but perhaps not wide enough to handle two cruisers. A Type 0 drydock is 40 feet, enough for two MTBs but not wide enough for two frigates.

The question is, for those of us who build in drydocks, do we permit two ships building in the same drydock, side-by-side?

Saturday, March 21st 2009, 6:39pm

You'd have to set a width for each size of drydock, otherwise someone might chance their arm, by putting 2 CA side by side!

Saturday, March 21st 2009, 7:34pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Brockpaine
The question is, for those of us who build in drydocks, do we permit two ships building in the same drydock, side-by-side?

In theory, it'd be possible. In practice, probably not practical; Real life ships never 'complete' at the same time, and you could hardly flood a drydock with a second incomplete ship in it to clear the first.

Quoted

Originally posted by Commodore Green
You'd have to set a width for each size of drydock, otherwise someone might chance their arm, by putting 2 CA side by side!

Naturally, and Brock already started thinking in that direction. But the specifics are less important than whether there's a consensus on allowing it in general.

A note on width rules, if any are enacted. In my view, even more so than length, there needs to be ample space between a ship's sides and the dock's wall, and similar space between two ship's hulls, if they're in the same dock. Exactly how much, I'm sure there's documentation somewhere...

Saturday, March 21st 2009, 7:38pm

Frankly I'm surprized we didn't set the width from the start. The famous picture of Penny, Cassin and Downes would indicate that they were in a type 5 drydock (to our standards). Penny after her 1931 refit had a beam of 106'2". I'd hazzard a guess that the drydock is around 110-112 feet in width.

Saturday, March 21st 2009, 7:41pm

Quoted

Originally posted by ShinRa_Inc
Naturally, and Brock already started thinking in that direction. But the specifics are less important than whether there's a consensus on allowing it in general.

Damn my slow fingers!!

Quoted

A note on width rules, if any are enacted. In my view, even more so than length, there needs to be ample space between a ship's sides and the dock's wall, and similar space between two ship's hulls, if they're in the same dock. Exactly how much, I'm sure there's documentation somewhere...

How about doubling the seperation distances used for the slips, and setting that as the drydock spacing?

Thursday, May 14th 2009, 5:38am

Was there anyone else who wanted to put some thoughts into this concept; reception seemed pretty positive, but sparse.

Thursday, May 14th 2009, 5:57am

I still favor the 5:1 ratio for docks: the drydock's width is 1/5th it's length. That'll mean:

Type 0:
- 70x14m
- 230x46ft

Type .5:
- 95x19m
- 311x62ft

Type 1:
- 120x24m
- 393x79ft

Type 1.5:
- 145x29m
- 476x95ft

Type 2:
- 170x34m
- 557x112ft

Type 2.5:
- 195x39m
- 640x128ft

Type 3:
- 220x44m
- 721x144ft

Type 3.5:
- 245x49m
- 804x161ft

Type 4:
- 270x54m
- 885x177ft

Type 4.5:
- 295x59m
- 968x193ft

Type 5:
- 320x64m
- 1049x210ft

With the disclaimers!
- Ships may not be constructed side-by-side
- Ships may not be constructed at funky angles to fit them into "shorter" drydocks.

For ships repairing side-by-side, I'd suggest at least fifteen feet of room on the sides or between the ships.

Thursday, May 14th 2009, 8:44pm

Quoted

Type 5:
- 320x64m
- 1049x210ft

Wow. The Kaerura Sanguwisu (formerly known as Muteki Nippon) at 1,049.00 x 210.00 ft would just fit in a type 5 dock then. :)

Thursday, May 14th 2009, 10:15pm

Probably not... the 108 ft beam Iowas could barely scrape through the 110 ft Panama Canal locks. You need a few feet on either side to really fit through a dock/lock

Thursday, May 14th 2009, 10:26pm

As far as I know, all things are based on waterline dimensions and the figures given are still the maximum sizes of a ship, not the dock/slip itself, so the ship will fit.