You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Thursday, January 24th 2008, 5:38am

League of Nations

Since it's becoming relelvant, let's discuss what we need to establish.

I believe Wes wanted to start with who's in it, and in what capacities.

Kaiser Kirk

Lightbringer and former European Imperialist

Thursday, January 24th 2008, 5:53am

For Wesworld,

The Kingdom of the Netherlands is in.
The Kingdom of Belgium is in.

The Grand Duchy of Luxembourg is still an NPC, but I presume in.

I presume all three are minor enough to simply be general assembly members.

The Kingdom of the Kongo is not, though I keep meaning to fix that.
The Grand Duchy of Ubangi-Shari is not.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Kaiser Kirk" (Jan 24th 2008, 5:53am)

Thursday, January 24th 2008, 5:57am

Atlantis, I think we have established, is a permanent member, while Turkey is a non permanent member as per historical (not sure about the historical entry date but I'll assume prior to 1935).

Thursday, January 24th 2008, 6:02am

Looking at the map of members, I think it is not a matter of who is in the Lon, but who is not in the LoN.

Thursday, January 24th 2008, 6:04am

Its better to get a head count then to assume who's not in.

Thursday, January 24th 2008, 6:57am

Got a bit of time now to check things out...
Looking at the map and Wikipedia info, the non-members would be:
Egypt (joins May 26, 1937)
Mongolia
Tibet
Nepal
Butan
Saudi Arabia

Thursday, January 24th 2008, 8:51am

LoN

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/V%C3%B6lkerbund

As i can see, here we have a historical view, who is in and who not.

China is, if we see it historical, a founding member of the LoN.
Also i read, that decisions had to be unanimously made, parties participated to the conflict in the corresponding vote had no voting rights.

We have a lot of work ;)

Thursday, January 24th 2008, 1:34pm

Unanimously means that's why IOTL the League was crap. Very difficult to agree in anything if your interests were at stake.

I guess we have to decide first who is a permanent member and then the eight non-permanent. I tend to agree with the list for non-permanents and to replace the Czechs with a player's nation. Then that list could increase if we include the SAE, the US, Russia and Atlantis in the permanent members list.

Thursday, January 24th 2008, 5:04pm

What I think we have for the 8 and 8.

Permanent: 8 => Atlantis, France, Italy, Japan, Nordmark, SAE, UK and USA.
Non-permanent: 8 => Argentina, Australia, Canada, Chile, Denmark, Iberia, Mexico, Poland, Russia and Turkey.

Thursday, January 24th 2008, 5:16pm

And what about China ? :(

As written before, in OTL China was a founding member of the LoN (German called Völkerbund) and in Wesworld neither permanent nor non-permenent ?

That's a little bit confusing me ?(

Thursday, January 24th 2008, 5:22pm

I was taking the list from what Walter had, except that Canada subs in for Czechoslovakia in the non-permanent catigory, he didn't list China so unless he's wrong....

IIRC Shin expressed interest before you eluded to China being a top 16 member. Wd could expand the non permanent member list though.

Thursday, January 24th 2008, 7:03pm

Quoted

As written before, in OTL China was a founding member of the LoN (German called Völkerbund) and in Wesworld neither permanent nor non-permenent ?

Being a member of the LoN and being a member of the Council are two completely different things. The non-permanent Council members were sellected every three years and late 1935, the non-permanent members were Argentina, Australia, Chile, Denmark, Ecuador, Mexico, Poland, Portugal, Soviet Union, Spain and Turkey.

China was a non permanent member of the council between Concil Session 12 (February 21-March 3, 1921) and Council Session 27 (December 10-20, 1923).
When the Council was expanded from 8 members (4-4) to 14 members (5-9) in September 1926, China was again a non permanent member between Council Session 42 (September 16-20, 1926) and Council Session 51 (August 30-September 8, 1928)
Then China was a mamber again between Council Session 65 (September 19-30, October 13-24 and November 16-December 10, 1931) and Council Session 81 (September 7-15, 1934).

The next time that China will be a non-permanent member is Council Session 94 (October 2-10, 1936).

Quoted

Permanent: 8 => Atlantis, France, Italy, Japan, Nordmark, SAE, UK and USA.
Non-permanent: 8 => Argentina, Australia, Canada, Chile, Denmark, Iberia, Mexico, Poland, Russia and Turkey.

You're at 10 non permanent members that way. I really don't see why Canada had to be added to that list. Historically there wer 11 non-permanent members sellected for the Council in 1935 as I gave above, so if we are going for 8 non-permanent members for Wesworld, they'll be from one of the next 10 nations: Argentina, Australia, Chile, Denmark, Ecuador, Mexico, Poland, Iberia, Soviet Union, and Turkey... so from that list, two would have to be dropped to get our 8 members.

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "Rooijen10" (Jan 24th 2008, 7:04pm)

Thursday, January 24th 2008, 7:04pm

BTW, a list of the Council Sessions can be found here...
http://www.indiana.edu/~league/tccouncils.htm

Thursday, January 24th 2008, 7:08pm

Ecuador is out by default by being part of Iberia and Iberia could be deleted because they have no voting power in this case anyway.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "perdedor99" (Jan 24th 2008, 7:10pm)

Thursday, January 24th 2008, 8:17pm

If you'd need someone to temporarily play an NPC nation for purposes of a LON debate, I'd be willing to do it.

(That said, if you can get player nations into the council instead, I would think that would be a better decision.)

Thursday, January 24th 2008, 10:16pm

Denmark is in!

Perdedor, I don't understand the second part of your statement below.

Quoted

Originally posted by perdedor99
Ecuador is out by default by being part of Iberia and Iberia could be deleted because they have no voting power in this case anyway.

Are you refering to something other than the Paracels, because if not, surely Iberia should have a vote in the Paracels issue!

Thursday, January 24th 2008, 10:46pm

Well, Parador already stated:

Quoted

Also i read, that decisions had to be unanimously made, parties participated to the conflict in the corresponding vote had no voting rights.

... which means that despite the fact that Iberia would be a non-permanent member on the Council, since they are involved in this matter, their vote does not count. The same would be true for China if they had been part of the Council at that time.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Rooijen10" (Jan 24th 2008, 10:46pm)

Thursday, January 24th 2008, 10:57pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Brockpaine
If you'd need someone to temporarily play an NPC nation for purposes of a LON debate, I'd be willing to do it.

(That said, if you can get player nations into the council instead, I would think that would be a better decision.)

I know im new here but I am also willing to play a NPC

Thursday, January 24th 2008, 11:03pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Rooijen10
Well, Parador already stated:

Quoted

... which means that despite the fact that Iberia would be a non-permanent member on the Council, since they are involved in this matter, their vote does not count. The same would be true for China if they had been part of the Council at that time.

Missed that bit!!
Ta!!

Maybe I should get the Danish Foreign Minister to review his "Talking Shop" idea from the Copenhagen talks of some years ago!

Friday, January 25th 2008, 12:06am

C'mon, Mac, that would require diplomacy.

Edit: ...and compromise.