You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Thursday, September 11th 2003, 6:54pm

Museum ships

Does the treaty allow for conversion of a warship to a monument or museum?

The treaty requires older ships to be disposed of, which means you get rid of ineffective old hulls - but you also lose some of your history. It'd be nice to just disable the propulsion, remove some key components, and let the ship stay intact. It's not like twenty year-old warships are a real threat to world peace.

Thoughts?

J

Thursday, September 11th 2003, 8:23pm

Is it about the Guj? You plan to turn India's first BB into a museum?
I've looked if it would be possible to turn it into a hulk or an experimental vessel or a target vessel, but those approaches do not work.
I like the idea to have some museum ships around in the Wesworld though.

Walter

Thursday, September 11th 2003, 9:02pm

Walter, you've fallen victim to my nomenclature change. I was going to name Indian battleships for states, and thus had Gujurat in mind as the first battleship. For some reason, the board kept cutting that word down to Guj.

Later, though, I thought that naming scheme was kinda dull, so decided to instead name them for renowned rulers. So the first battleship is now Dara Shikoh, and the second, when South Africa completes repairing her, will be Babur.

I was thinking not only about Dara Shikoh, which the South Africans might well want back sometime, but also my oldest surviving cruiser when it leaves service.

Thursday, September 11th 2003, 11:08pm

I agree. I had to re-read the treaty, because I already had planned to do that.

IMHO:

- removing/wrecking machinery
- ditto steering mechnism
- wrecking the training mechanism of the turrets and all mmo handling as well as the closing mechanisms of the guns
- disabling the training of the fire control
- and opening her to the public should be ok IMHO.

Bernhard

Friday, September 12th 2003, 1:22am

sounds good

That makes four of us that like the idea, I think Warspite and Enterprize were two ships that SHOULD have been saved for just such a thing. Prinz Eugen could have as well if she hadn't been scuttled by a nuke at the Bikini atoll test. As long as we all understand that once we designate a ship a museum ship its a permanent thing then I'm all for it.