You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Wednesday, August 19th 2015, 5:27pm

Beijing Newspaper Q2/1946 - Chinese news and events - April / May / June

07. April 1946
The EW-3000C completed successfully the 100 hours of continuous testing.

This motor marks the preliminary climax of China's development of aircraft piston engines. The motor is a water cooled 24-cylinder multi row radial engine. Blow-down exhaust turbines are fitted between the cylinder banks, and a geared centrifugal supercharger and a turbocharger is also fitted to the engine itself. Therefore this engine in not a "aspirated engine", but is a supercharged engine in turbo-compound construction.

Wednesday, August 19th 2015, 5:33pm

...that's an extremely advanced engine...

Also, you call it an "inline radial engine." An engine can't be both inline and radial - they're mutually-exclusive.

Wednesday, August 19th 2015, 5:34pm

...that's an extremely advanced engine...

Also, you call it an "inline radial engine." An engine can't be both inline and radial - they're mutually-exclusive.

My thoughts too. You beat me to it.

Wednesday, August 19th 2015, 5:42pm

How you will call the following construction ..... 4 rows of 6-cylinder radial => in germany we call it "Reihensternmotor => "inline radial engine" (poor google translation)

By the way .... what about the HS-24K engine (http://www.jk-clan.de/index.php?page=Thr…4431#post134431) ?

Comparable engine .... other countries have them in serial production .... China is developing and testing this kind of engine (years behind) And now you say extremely advanced ???? ?(

Wednesday, August 19th 2015, 5:46pm

Ah. I understand the point. A better term in English would be a "multi-row radial engine".

Wednesday, August 19th 2015, 6:52pm

How you will call the following construction ..... 4 rows of 6-cylinder radial => in germany we call it "Reihensternmotor => "inline radial engine" (poor google translation)

Ah, I see what you mean.

In English, that would just be referred to as a 'four-row radial'. An 'inline engine' would be something like a V-8, V-12, I-6 - something like that.

By the way .... what about the HS-24K engine (http://www.jk-clan.de/index.php?page=Thr…4431#post134431) ?

Comparable engine .... other countries have them in serial production .... China is developing and testing this kind of engine (years behind) And now you say extremely advanced ???? ?(

It is extremely advanced. Turbo-compound engines are very tricky to get right, and very few of the many historical designs actually worked to their full potential, even going into the mid-1950s. (Russia, for instance, never got a reliable turbo-compound into service before the turboprop engine replaced it.)

The French 'TRP Compose' has only been used for one production aircraft so far, starting in late 1944 - and it was developed to be bleeding edge by Hispano-Suiza (which is probably one of the top three aero-engine developers in the world), working with Turbomeca (which is probably one of the top three supercharger and turbocharger developers in the world), designed by an engineer who built one of the first working jet engines in the world, and all funded by the French air ministry's world-class R&D establishment. All that pedigree serves to stack the deck so I can claim such an advanced engine will work well enough for it to be used on a production aircraft, particularly with very regular maintenance.

So I stand by my statement that it is extremely advanced.

Wednesday, August 19th 2015, 8:46pm

Now that I have a better understanding of what is being described, I have somewhat less concern about it. Yes, a turbo-compound engine is very advanced. Has China put enough effort into developing one? Perhaps. We do not know how much foreign assistance China may have received – from Japan (before the Chosen War), from the SAE, or by some intelligence coup from an unspecified source. So we cannot categorically say it is impossible. And nowhere has it been claimed that the engine is 100% reliable – the Chinese could be satisfied with its MTBF or MTBO, whereas another nation might find it a pile of scrap.

For better or worse China is a moderate WW industrial power and development of such an engine is plausible; to churn them out by the hundreds per month, no so much. Right now I would see the claim as referring to a trials or test engine, and the proof of the pudding would be to organize its production – with all the risk of loss of performance and reliability.

Wednesday, August 19th 2015, 11:38pm

Yeah. It's not impossible - probably not even for China, since they already manufacture and even design many of their own aero-engines. But as I said, it is an extremely advanced development. In Wesworld, so far as I'm aware, only the US, France, and Britain have managed to put something comparable together.

Wednesday, August 19th 2015, 11:43pm

I believe you are correct on the last point. Germany has not invested in the turbo-compound, with the turbo-prop being seen as a less expensive way to get the high horsepower. The Jumo 022 isn't there yet, but in the future it will.

Friday, August 21st 2015, 12:13pm

This motor is still in testing phase ... no serial production yet !!! But i have to mention it, so the engine will not come out of nowhere.

Friday, August 21st 2015, 12:16pm

30. April 1946
In a solemn ceremony, the german chancellor and the chinese minister for foreign affairs, Deng Hau Min, sign the Sino-German-cooperation agreement.
The agreement includes both, the purchase of 200 Krupp SGA and 500 Steyr Trosscarts. Additionally China gets the licenses for domestic manufacture of agricultural machinery- such as walk-behind and conventional wheeled tractors, combine harvesters, etc. The royalty payment per unit is 1,5% ad valorem of the unit price. Also the agreement contains the selling of heavy-duty excavators and other mining equipment from Germany to China.

Friday, August 21st 2015, 8:40pm

Sure hope that those combine harvesters aren't the types you can bolt guns and metal plates on...

Tuesday, October 27th 2015, 1:48pm

02.May 1946
Ming Pi Wai, the chinese minister for transport and industry, and Chen Sheng-Hsing, the chinese minister for aviation, and leading members of chinese airlines make a business trip to the russian federation to discuss a coopartion of the airlines of both countries (landing rights, common development of airliners etc). It's also planned to make a trip to the Samara Aviation Plant, where a number of Ilyushin, Antonov, and Topolov aircraft are built. This facility has a civilian-oriented production and the chinese delegation can get an impression of russian aviation knowledge.

Tuesday, October 27th 2015, 3:34pm

Sure hope that the Russians keep their military aviation knowledge well hidden from the Chinese. :)

Tuesday, October 27th 2015, 4:05pm

Sure hope that the Russians keep their military aviation knowledge well hidden from the Chinese. :)

And the Chinese thought that their German hosts were tight-lipped... wait until they get done dealing with the Russkiis... :D

Tuesday, October 27th 2015, 4:31pm

Samara is "safe" and "visitor friendly" because a large chunk of the plant's current production is oriented towards the civilian market - chiefly the Il-12 medium airliner and sport planes. It's one of the few aircraft plants in the Russian Federation where you won't get automatically arrested for carrying a camera inside the front gates. Of course, because the Russians are a bit paranoid about security, they still have a force of MVD Internal Troops guarding the plant, and a group of senior FSB officers will sweep the plant beforehand to make sure it's 'clean'. And then, just to play games, the FSB officers will use a giant crane to put a giant tarpaulin over some random collection of boxes and crates, which will be declared off-limits to visitors and given an honor guard of thirty MVD troopers with submachine guns.

Visitors: "What is THAT?"
Tour Guide: "It's nothing! It's just a collection of boxes! Move along!"

;)

Tuesday, October 27th 2015, 4:38pm

Quoted

"visitor friendly"

I did not think that that phrase was in the Russian vocabulary... :rolleyes:

Tuesday, October 27th 2015, 4:49pm

Quoted

"visitor friendly"

I did not think that that phrase was in the Russian vocabulary... :rolleyes:

Sure it does. It's visitor-friendly when they say "Please come with us, comrade!" when they arrest you, rather than "I'm sorry, Comrade Colonel, the suspect was killed while resisting arrest."

Tuesday, October 27th 2015, 5:07pm

Quoted

Samara is "safe" and "visitor friendly" because a large chunk of the plant's current production is oriented towards the civilian market - chiefly the Il-12 medium airliner and sport planes.

I guess we can expect a lot of Il-12-like planes dropping paratroopers across the region in the near future... *starts production of the Mitsubishi jet* :)

Quoted

they say "Please come with us, comrade!" when they arrest you seconds before they shoot you in the back in a dark prison corridor, rather than "I'm sorry, Comrade Colonel, the suspect was killed while resisting arrest."

Corrected it for you there. :D

Wednesday, November 4th 2015, 4:55pm

05.May 1946
Representatives of the chinese navy leadership visit the Harbin Aircraft Works. Reason of the visit is the tender of the navy for a land-based long range maritime reconnaissance aircraft as replacement of the somewhat outdated Ha-37. Two prototypes were shown to the representatives. Both prototypes are 4 engined shoulder mounted aircrafts. One had a tall single vertical stabilizer rather than the twin tail configuration of the second prototype.