You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Monday, December 27th 2004, 5:39am

Selling auxiliaries

We've discussed the sale of warships (currently forbidden by treaty) but I'm less clear on the legality of selling auxiliaries, or vessels that are unrestricted in number/tonnage according to Part 3(H) of the Treaty.

So if I decided I had a surplus collier, could I put it up for sale?

I could, of course, lease it - and unlike the recent Princess Royal / Presidente Malvar deal, the leased collier wouldn't count against any tonnage restrictions on my part...

Monday, December 27th 2004, 6:30am

Well I would think that support ships wouldn't pose any problems. As for smaller warships I'm somewhat sceptical.

Monday, December 27th 2004, 4:41pm

"Vessels of war" may not be sold, without any disclaimers or exceptions, so "warships" not otherwise covered under the treaty are covered here, IMHO.

As for auxiliaries, they're not "vessels of war", so they're sellable. The question is, where do you draw the line...

Tuesday, December 28th 2004, 1:05am

Perhaps one needs to remove all weapons of war from such a ship before delivering said vessel?

Thursday, January 13th 2005, 2:19am

auxiliaries

I'm a late arrival so this was likely covered someplace before.

Are there different rules for building auxiliaries than building warship? If so I will need to know them as I've just laid down one.

Thursday, January 13th 2005, 3:31am

There are some differences in survivalbility - but as for construction, all ships are created equal. ;)

Thursday, January 13th 2005, 3:36am

Then how does one get to the level of the Kaiser Shipyards?

Thursday, January 13th 2005, 4:57pm

Most people would just buy a merchantman and refit her.

Thursday, January 13th 2005, 7:38pm

"Not I, said the pig..."

Aside from the destroyer tenders, that is. That 20,000 tons will be quite useful elsewhere...

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Thursday, January 13th 2005, 10:10pm

I think it depends on what you want.

For the SAE I´ve build several tenders according to our building rules. Those ships are purpose build, relatively heavy armed and could also act as AMCs if necessary. I also expect them to have special military equipement such as large and special wireless stations or work shops (with repair/refit potential) and wards ready to take on a relatively large number of injured people.

On the other hand I have a handfull of tenders that I just bought. Those will be used to simple house crews of small crafts and provide some fuel and spare parts. Those ships will allow to operate such crafts and keep them running but oposed to purpose build tenders I rate them as not capable of larger repairs for example.

It´s not a hard rule I´m using. It´s more or less a matter of storytelling and keeping things easy.

In general I rate the fleet train as "at hand" when I need it for a story/news, except for vessels that I want to have special abilities.