You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Friday, January 6th 2006, 11:36am

Turkish news Q1/Q2 1929

January 8th, 1929

Turkey and Atlantis have come to an agreement reguarding bases in and around Byzantium. Kuzi Limani and Istambul will be handed over to Atlantean/Byzantean control in exchange for generous compensation and assurances that a non-agression pact between the three nations will be negotiated.
Mustafa Kemel assured the country that this was in the best interest of the nation.

"This will ultimately prove to be our final act of reconciliation in reguards to our involvement in the great war and will assist our efforts to improve relations with some of our former protecturates."

16 May, 1929 - Icel, Turkey

Amid the cheers of Turkish Citizens the Kriegsmarine flotilla in the Med has dropped anchor in the Turkish port of Icel. It is the first visit by a German fleet since the great war that ravaged much of Europe. On the 18th, Breslau will welcome visitors aboard for tours of one of the Kriegsmarine's most modern ships.

18 May, 1929 - Ankara

In a surprise annoucment Foreign Minister, Oghuz Osman Suleiman along with Minister of the Navy, Hussein Rauf anounced the sale of six 1916MOB torpedo boats, that are presently docked at Icel with the visiting German Kriegsmarine flotilla to Turkey. The torpedo boats, now classed as destroyers in the turkish fleet, will replace the Samsoun/Muvanet-I-Milet class destroyers and the Berk-Efsan as frontline units.

May 28, 1929 - Icel, Turkey

In a solemn ceremony, the German flag was lowered for the last time on the 1916MOB torpedo boats, their crews saluting the flag from the dockside as the new Turkish crews took possession and ran up the Turkish flag to cheers from the onlookers.

May 29, 1929 - Icel, Turkey

The two German CLs, with Breslau in the lead, slipped their moorings this morning and put out to sea. Icel was bustling with Turks waving and cheering as the Germans sailed off over the horizon.

May 30, 1929 - Ankara, Turkey

In another stunning anouncement Minister of the Navy, Hussein Rauf announced the navy's plan to continue to modernize the fleet. The 6 year plan includes a deal made with India to build a new battleship to replace elderly units currently in the Turkish fleet. Its expected she will be a variant of the Shah Jahan design, India's newest battleship.

Plans call for the battleship to be laid down in July. As a result of this deal it has been decided that the Italian battleship Dante Alighieri will to return to Italian control, as she still counts against Italian limits under the Cleito treaty. The amoured cruiser San Marco is expected to be purchased under the original lease/purchase deal and eventually modernized under similar lines to the Ulic Ali Reis.

Other plans include the minor refits of the battleship Fatih Sultan Mehmed and the Saldiray and Yildiray class cruisers and the continuation of the Agri class torpedo boat program.

Sunday, January 8th 2006, 3:01am

June 2nd, Ankara Turkey

Minister of the Navy, Hussein Rauf today unveiled a model and an artists conception of the battleship Osmanieh ordered from india.

"The Osmanieh will be a welcome addition to the Turkish fleet which is badly in need of modernization. We are truely gratefull for India's assistance in this project".

Sunday, January 8th 2006, 11:25am

Any stats for Osmanieh?

I reckon that she looks better than Shah Jahan on account of the tower bridge instead of a pagoda.

Quoted

As a result of this deal it has been decided that the Italian battleship Dante Alighieri will to return to Italian control, as she still counts against Italian limits under the Cleito treaty.

Dante Alighieri will be returned to Italian hands before 01/01/1930 for her eventual disposal.

Sunday, January 8th 2006, 1:19pm

Stats will be released once I confirm that both Rocky and I have the same SS file as there was some revisions over time.

As for looks I suppose it depends on who you talk to, the Japanese should think highly of the Shah Jahan design!

Sunday, January 8th 2006, 1:35pm

I think the Greek would love that design (not!!)

Quoted

As for looks I suppose it depends on who you talk to, the Japanese should think highly of the Shah Jahan design!

... except for those quads.

Sunday, January 8th 2006, 1:59pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Rooijen10

Quoted

Talk to the Italians on that one...

Sunday, January 8th 2006, 2:06pm

There are some great looking designs in the Italian navy...
Looking at the time of that post, are you still up, or are you out of bed early??

Sunday, January 8th 2006, 6:41pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Rooijen10
There are some great looking designs in the Italian navy...
Looking at the time of that post, are you still up, or are you out of bed early??

I always love the Pisa CL 4 quads on a small hull.A destroyer s nightmere.

Sunday, January 8th 2006, 9:49pm

Pisa is just a bit small but she has considerable firepower and can chew up any ship with a multitude of hits.

Monday, January 9th 2006, 2:26am

No comment on the Pisa's.

Monday, January 9th 2006, 5:09am

Quoted

I think the Greek would love that design (not!!)

Not a problem, all part of the plan...

Cheers,

Monday, January 9th 2006, 5:40am

Oh theres a plan alright......

Monday, January 9th 2006, 6:37am

Quoted

Atlantean/Byzantean control in exchange for generous compensation

So to what degree is Atlantis bankrolling Turkey?

Cheers,

Monday, January 9th 2006, 8:21am

Probably to the tune of one new Battleship

Monday, January 9th 2006, 11:51am

Atlantis has zero involvement in Turkeys aquisistion of Osmanieh.

The compensation will include an ammount of IP's equal to infrastructure that will soon be absorbed by Byzantium, a minor ammount to Atlantis but generous to Turkish standards and stated as such to rattle the neighbours cage.

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Monday, January 9th 2006, 2:47pm

Love her look, that bridge is really cool. Guess, I have seens those quads before. They´re looking just too familiar... ;o)

I also wonder what kind of reaction we´ll see from the Greeks.....

Monday, January 9th 2006, 6:12pm

I will stubbornly cling to my pagoda, but acknowledge that Turkey's getting one fine-looking ship.

Tuesday, January 10th 2006, 1:19am

Quoted

I also wonder what kind of reaction we´ll see from the Greeks.....

A modern BC was added to the Turkish line-up in recent staff exercises (Hearts of Iron 2) and made no appreciable difference (Following attacks into Anatolia, Turkey but is driven back and annexed with a year). The AI fails to use it's naval forces - it must conclude that "fleet in being" is the most viable option, or just proof that HoI2 is land focused. Playing Turkey and having the computer play Greece sees Turkey running out of oil and the ships being immobilised but Anatolia retaken while Greek forces are surrounded and cut off in Ankara. I think I'll try buying oil from Russia earlier.

On balance, it is easier for Greece to crush Turkey (Annex nation) where as Turkey's best hope is for a marginal victory. This is with historical 1936 settings - only naval levels are edited.

Cheers,

Tuesday, January 10th 2006, 6:55am

I've found HOI to be highly unpredictable, playing against a computer is never the same as vs. another person.

That being said Greece vs. Turkey would be a very even match, Greece being stronger Naval wise while Turkey has a larger land based army.

As for those quads Hoo, I know notink!! Osmaneih owes much of her good looks to the Shah Jahan as Osmaneih is a slight variation of the design so I think Rocky deserves kudo's.

Tuesday, January 10th 2006, 11:56am

Quoted

That being said Greece vs. Turkey would be a very even match, Greece being stronger Naval wise while Turkey has a larger land based army.

We can't always equate 'larger' with 'better'.

I went in with an open mind but comparing the two armys by experiment seems to give the edge to Greece in the 1936-47 time frame. Possibly this is based on the performance of the Greeks against the Italians where as there is no comparable acount of the quality of the Turkish army in the 1930-40's.

Cheers,