You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Tuesday, February 16th 2010, 6:55am

Aircraft Quiz #1

Quick and dirty quiz. I'll see if I can come up with any more questions.

All these are post-WWII aircraft.

1. What large surface-to-air missile was modified to be fired from an aircraft and what aircraft carried it?

2. At one point in time a certain company designed both the largest and smallest carrier-based bombers in service. Who was the company and what planes where they?

3. Who is the world's largest buyer of Pilatus PC-6s? (hint: also uses the Mi-26)

4. During the Cold War Finland was allowed one Western and one Warsaw pact combat aircraft type, which did it choose (two answers)?

5. Name the little known high-wing derivative of a famous fighter.

6. Bonus: What experimental aircraft gained the name of "Flying Dorito"?

Too hard? Too easy?

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "Desertfox" (Feb 16th 2010, 3:37pm)

Tuesday, February 16th 2010, 7:08am

RE: Aircraft Quiz #1

Quoted

Originally posted by Desertfox
3. Who is the world's largest buyer of Pilatus PC-6s?

NASA?

All the other ones stumped me.

Tuesday, February 16th 2010, 7:09am

Yeah, I think I will pass on this one. Not my area of expertise.

Tuesday, February 16th 2010, 9:01am

Quoted

Originally posted by Desertfox
1. What large surface-to-air missile was modified to be fired from an aircraft and what aircraft carried it?

Vega on Su-27 ultra long-range Air to air or strategic missile
There maybe others such missiles that I don/t know about.

Quoted

4. During the Cold War Finland was allowed one NATO and one Warsaw pact combat aircraft type, which did it choose?

I know that Finland has Mig-29's are You referring too that it was chosen over F-16

As for No.3 If its American I don't know if its not then I did not know that about Buccaneer...

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "Marek Gutkowski" (Feb 16th 2010, 9:19am)

Tuesday, February 16th 2010, 1:27pm

FIM-92 Stinger

4. During the Cold War Finland was allowed one NATO and one Warsaw pact combat aircraft type, which did it choose?
MiG-21 Fishbet +MiG -29 Fulcrum

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "ALVAMA" (Feb 16th 2010, 1:28pm)

Tuesday, February 16th 2010, 3:37pm

Rewrote 2, one of the answers for it is still the same, and added a bonus one.

Tuesday, February 16th 2010, 4:20pm

1) Hawk carried by Iranian F-14s
2) Douglas A-4 Skyhawk and A-3 Skywarrior
3) India?
4) Saab-35 Draken and Mig-21
5) pass
6) pass

Tuesday, February 16th 2010, 4:24pm

It should be noted on question 4 that is has two possible answers as one western type was replaced by another

Tuesday, February 16th 2010, 5:39pm

I'm sure I could be Douglas

Vulko Saab is right but not from a east-block-country Soviet Union or something

Tuesday, February 16th 2010, 5:57pm

Depends what you mean by "large", I've seen plans for an air launched HAWK but can't remember whether it got built.

2. At one point in time a certain company designed both the largest and smallest carrier-based bombers in service. Who was the company and what planes where they?

Douglas with the A-3 and A-4

3. Who is the world's largest buyer of Pilatus PC-6s? (hint: also uses the Mi-26)

Russian Air Force?

4. During the Cold War Finland was allowed one Western and one Warsaw pact combat aircraft type, which did it choose (two answers)?

No idea

Nope

A-12

Tuesday, February 16th 2010, 6:02pm

That was without looking at other's answers.

For number 5 I've just thought of a variable geometry F-4 Phantom but it wasn't built...

Tuesday, February 16th 2010, 6:12pm

Quoted

Originally posted by ALVAMA
I'm sure I could be Douglas

Vulko Saab is right but not from a east-block-country Soviet Union or something

I undestood it as which two types, one western and one eatern was choosen.

Tuesday, February 16th 2010, 6:13pm

I just noticed a mistake on my part. Question 3 should be PC-7 not PC-6, the country in question does also fly the PC-6.

Vuk is right, one Western one Eastern.

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "Desertfox" (Feb 16th 2010, 6:15pm)

Tuesday, February 16th 2010, 6:28pm

The answer to question 5 is rather harsh, considering that that aircraft was never built. It's in the same league as the VG F-4.

Another answer to question 1 is SeaDart / CF.299, and for "small" SAMs there are Helstreak and Hellcat.

Tuesday, February 16th 2010, 9:21pm

Oeh then I'll say The Draken and Fulcrum. My bab sorry guys :D

Iraq has 52 PC's!!

The dorito was the ''US A-12'' IIRC

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "ALVAMA" (Feb 16th 2010, 9:24pm)

Wednesday, February 17th 2010, 5:05am

Answers tomorrow...

Thursday, February 18th 2010, 7:51am

Answers:

Hawk SAM, modified by the Iranis to be fired from F-14 Tomcats.

Douglas with the A-4 Skyhawk and the A-3 Skywarrior.

3. Who is the world's largest buyer of Pilatus PC-7s? (hint: also uses the Mi-26)

Mexico, (and yes we do have a lone Mi-26).

SAAB Drakken and MiG-21. More recently the F-18 and MiG-29 have taken over.

X-27/CL-2100 Lancer, based on the F-104.

The A-12 Avenger II, because of its delta flying wing shape.

Thursday, February 18th 2010, 8:08am

MiG-29´s have never been used by the Finnish Air Force

Thursday, February 18th 2010, 1:09pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Vukovlad
MiG-29´s have never been used by the Finnish Air Force

Doh!
Fuzzy memory

Here is the culprit for my mistake.

I propose a difrent format of the quiz. First one to get the Correct answer is the one that can ask the next question.
It worked on one other forum.

Thursday, February 18th 2010, 3:58pm

I was reacting to it being listed as a correct answer for #4