You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Tuesday, July 8th 2003, 4:04pm

Rome Revue April 1921

Naval defense cuts have been announced by the Naval Minister for the 1921/22 buget. A downsizing of the Marina Militaire is expected over the next few years. Caracciolo and her sister will be completed over the next year and accepted into the fleet. Meanwhile Morosini is expected to be launched before December and completed for 1923.

Few ships are expected to be ordered by Italian yards over the next few years a ministry source said. This comes alongside the news that 2/5 of our cruiser fleet is to be scrapped leaving only the 3 light cruisers ceeded by Germany. What are these ministers thinking?

In a speech outlining the naval future of Italy the Naval Minister hinted that a naval air service will be formed named Aeronautica Marina. However no new aircraft will be produced, instead conversions of the fine Ansaldo A.1 and Fiat R2 will be expected for the short term needs of Italy. The Maachi M.9 remains as the Italian fleet's eyes in the sky.

Tuesday, July 8th 2003, 5:34pm

Quoted

However no new aircraft will be produced, instead conversions of Spads and Maachis will be expected for the short term needs of Italy.

Well, Italy is not the only nation which will use modified existing planes on their carriers. Japan, too, will use a mixture of mainly French and British planes and a couple of German planes as well on their carriers.

Has any of the other carrier building nations true carrier planes available or do you plan to use modified existing planes ?

Walter

Tuesday, July 8th 2003, 10:27pm

well

Atlantis plans on useing several existing designs in a short term plan untill a satisfactory design can be produced. Atlantis is currently looking into British and french designs for its carrier force as well as its airforce.

Wednesday, July 9th 2003, 10:36am

After finally finding a source for WW1 aircraft i have edited my post a little in regards to which aircraft will be converted.
Thank you Walter for posting that link. I haven't been able to find mention of Italian WW1 aircraft in any of my books.
The Maachi M.5 seems to have amazing performance as a flying boat, it is faster than most fighter planes!