You are not logged in.

Tuesday, May 11th 2010, 1:03am

Land and Air Warfare

Based upon what I have learned so far, Wesworld naval warfare is governed by a rather defined set of rules and is underpinned by Springsharp sims. The rules for land or air warfare, force development etc. are less clear.

Are their rules somewhere I can consult or are they more free-form? Looking at the development of aircraft designs in particular there seems to be nothing akin to Springsharp in the game.

Tuesday, May 11th 2010, 1:26am

You are correct, my dear sir. We have no official simulation tools, although I believe that we havePlanebuilder, a plane simulation tool used by several people, such as Hrolf. However, most of us use historical planes as our own, only slightly altering statistics. For tanks, some of us use Tanksharp , although, again, many use historical designs.

And just to preempt you, we also have two other simulation tools, although, like the others, they are only used by certain people. We have Subsim, which I don't have the link to, but it supposably sims more accurate subs then the SS method, and is used by Brock and RA. Also, some people use Biggun to simulate guns, although I, personally, have began to use Navalism Ballistics, a tool that was developed at the other forum that, supposably, gives more accurate results and range.

Also, no rules exist for any sort of warfare, naval or not. It is all roleplay.

Tuesday, May 11th 2010, 1:31am

Quoted

Also, no rules exist for any sort of warfare, naval or not. It is all roleplay.

Mutual agreement and scripting. Both parties decide the course of the action and agree upon it. I personally think it's the best way.

Tuesday, May 11th 2010, 1:35am

And the $64 Question...

This being the case then, how does one become a part of the game?

Tuesday, May 11th 2010, 1:42am

Ahh...we knew it would come. Basically, you need to express a willingness to play a unplayed nation, and the moderators need to approve (I think, if the mods think this post is a problem, delete it). Or, you could get in like me, by asking a person with more than one nation if they would mind if you took over. However, that sort of opportunity is rare.

I think at the moment, Greece and Siam are unplayed, but you would need to talk with the mods.

Tuesday, May 11th 2010, 2:13am

Alvama had asked to take over Siam, but it was quite unofficial, never announced, and no activity was ever made.

Greece is a pretty big power for a new player, but it is open. Hood, Perdedor and I have been keeping them caught up to date. I must admit I'm a tad leery about such a sizable (factory-wise) country going to a brand-new player, for several reasons - we've had a few folks come in unknown, play a small country for a quarter, make a bunch of deals for ships, then disappear. Fifteen factories is also quite a big "learning curve" to deal with.

Siam has a couple of advantages. It has the benefit of helpful allies (the AEGIS alliance is unusually generous in helping to build up smaller members), the opportunity for a good fore-thinking planner to significantly improve the works, a low initial learning curve, and the opportunity to use it as a stepping-stone to a larger nation (if desired and available).

Tuesday, May 11th 2010, 2:24am

Quoted

Originally posted by Brockpaine
Greece is a pretty big power for a new player, but it is open. Hood, Perdedor and I have been keeping them caught up to date. I must admit I'm a tad leery about such a sizable (factory-wise) country going to a brand-new player, for several reasons - we've had a few folks come in unknown, play a small country for a quarter, make a bunch of deals for ships, then disappear. Fifteen factories is also quite a big "learning curve" to deal with.

Siam has a couple of advantages. It has the benefit of helpful allies (the AEGIS alliance is unusually generous in helping to build up smaller members), the opportunity for a good fore-thinking planner to significantly improve the works, a low initial learning curve, and the opportunity to use it as a stepping-stone to a larger nation (if desired and available).

I'd agree - Greece is the sort of power I'd prefer to start with, for the very reasons you cite. Actually, my initial thoughts were leaning towards Czechoslovakia - but I bet there are complicating factors in the way.

I'll take a look at Siam - one has to start somewhere.

Tuesday, May 11th 2010, 2:30am

The main problem with Czechoslovakia is that it has no coasts, and the best-defined part of the sim is the naval rules.

Tuesday, May 11th 2010, 2:33am

Quoted

Originally posted by Hrolf Hakonson
The main problem with Czechoslovakia is that it has no coasts, and the best-defined part of the sim is the naval rules.

But it does have a river, though I get the point.

I'm a bit confused of who exactly is who, but I think following the suggestions of the moderators is the best course of action.

Tuesday, May 11th 2010, 2:37am

Well Bruce, joining the sim isn't an exact science. Basically you take part in discussions and post designs (which you've done already) in an effort to get to know the various sim members. Consider it a sort of initiation/job interview/meet and greet.

Every potential player is different and how long it takes to become a player can vary from months to days, it all depends on what the mods and other players think. We've had many good players along the road and a few bad apples once in a blue moon so we try to spot any bad habits/attitudes before we allow new players to join.

As I said, its not an exact science but we do our best!

Tuesday, May 11th 2010, 3:06am

Siam does need a player. The last report was Q4 1936 so a new player gets at least nine quarters to play with. The problem the last player was robbing from Peru to fund Siam and nobody have any idea of what projects were cooking before he "left."

It seems he was purchasing Caldwell destroyers from the US but the best person to answer that will be Hrolf. Also Siam received a lot of equipment from their AEGIS "allies."

Tuesday, May 11th 2010, 3:15am

Case of retconning the robbery and moving along.

Tuesday, May 11th 2010, 3:18am

Quoted

Originally posted by thesmilingassassin
Case of retconning the robbery and moving along.

For once we agree in something. :D

Tuesday, May 11th 2010, 4:23am

Quoted

Originally posted by perdedor99
The problem the last player was robbing from Peru to fund Siam and nobody have any idea of what projects were cooking before he "left."

IIRC that was the infamous "Howard" virus, also know as "He who shall not be named", which of course I already did..so now I'm cursed w/ a bad attitude, crappy people skills, a now-it-all mentality, and a lack of common sense for the next 20 minutes. Bugger...

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "Sachmle" (May 11th 2010, 4:25am)

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Tuesday, May 11th 2010, 7:40am

Btw, you may want to add Nathan Okuns famous Facehard program to the list of shiny little tools that help us battleship nuts.

On joinining - most important things are said, so there is little to add. I welcome your enthusiasm and interest, your friendly way of asking. It stands opposite to some earlier attampts of people trying to bully their way into the sim. However, I am still cautious and your time on these boards is too short to actually judge if we won a valuable new candidate or a flash in the pan. Hence I invite and encourage you - and all other lurkers outhtere with interest to join on day - to continue your contribution, head down the stony road of lessons learned and, probably most important, learn how we deal with things, our community's general mindset. The most discouraging thing for us is to help people walk, get started and rolling and then "see" them disappear, leaving behind an "empty" country that once again had a new ruler with new ideas. With every such attempt such country's history and industrial planning gets more and more twisted, with no rational behind over its life span - making it even more difficult to find a seriously interested new player later on.

Tuesday, May 11th 2010, 12:58pm

Quoted

Originally posted by HoOmAn
Btw, you may want to add Nathan Okuns famous Facehard program to the list of shiny little tools that help us battleship nuts.

On joinining - most important things are said, so there is little to add. I welcome your enthusiasm and interest, your friendly way of asking. It stands opposite to some earlier attampts of people trying to bully their way into the sim. However, I am still cautious and your time on these boards is too short to actually judge if we won a valuable new candidate or a flash in the pan. Hence I invite and encourage you - and all other lurkers outhtere with interest to join on day - to continue your contribution, head down the stony road of lessons learned and, probably most important, learn how we deal with things, our community's general mindset. The most discouraging thing for us is to help people walk, get started and rolling and then "see" them disappear, leaving behind an "empty" country that once again had a new ruler with new ideas. With every such attempt such country's history and industrial planning gets more and more twisted, with no rational behind over its life span - making it even more difficult to find a seriously interested new player later on.

I understand your point of view and reluctance to go through with more 'revolving doors'. Looking through the archives, I can see the problems that can lead to. I guess I will continue to ask questions of game mechanics and add to my understanding of Springsharp while waiting out probation.

Thanks for all the pointers!

Tuesday, May 11th 2010, 2:32pm

The new Navalism program has a incorperation of his F- code along with accurate range codes.