You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Monday, October 19th 2009, 7:30pm

What is the state of the Canadian Army and Air Force?

Monday, October 19th 2009, 7:36pm

Omnipotent.

Monday, October 19th 2009, 8:00pm

Not omnipotent but predictable. :D

Monday, October 19th 2009, 8:43pm

Saw that one coming...

Monday, October 19th 2009, 8:43pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Vukovlad
What is the state of the Canadian Army and Air Force?

Frisky.

Monday, October 19th 2009, 8:58pm

I just hate that picture... X(

Monday, October 19th 2009, 10:12pm

Needs more dynamicism?

Monday, October 19th 2009, 11:36pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Rooijen10
I just hate that picture... X(

Don't tell him that! Now he'll show it all the time!!

Tuesday, October 20th 2009, 12:44am

In all seriousness, the Canadian Army and RCAF haven't gotten too much attention, due to the combined factors of

1) Lack of probability of needing them (Not planning on liberating the US anytime soon), and

2) Historically, Canada didn't go out of it's way to develop it's own (Like the RCN, instead being subsidiaries of the Royal Army and RAF). Thus it's been difficult to establish a more independant force from scratch, particulally due to

3) My knowledge on land warfare and engineering is abysmal, and my knowledge of aeronautics isn't much better, preventing any real original developments without someone else's help. I've only just recently gotten some decent stuff together for new Canadian aircraft, which should start rolling out soon.

That being said, it's my opinion that with Canada's increased independance and more advanced infrastructure, the RCA and RCAF should be similarly expanded and professional as I've been working to make the RCN. It just doesn't get reported on due to numerous "spontaneous ballistic tramua" incidents occuring to those who inquire too deeply.

Tuesday, October 20th 2009, 12:59am

I see, well if you need to get rid of the Ross rifles a new market has just opened up :D

Tuesday, October 20th 2009, 1:09am

From what Hood worked out for me a while ago, Canada is using Lee-Enfields and transitioning to a new Commonwealth weapon. I'd assume whatever stocks of Ross Rifles the Canadian government was holding would mostly have been liquidated by now, except for the occasional sniper school.

Tuesday, October 20th 2009, 9:29am

Is Canada going to design the Ram tank they built in OTL? Just curious, because ive always liked that tank and would've liked it to see service.

Tuesday, October 20th 2009, 1:25pm

I LOVE the RAM tank, pity it didn't see sevice simply just for the sake of seeing service. I suppose it would depend on the possibity of getting their hands on the historical M-3 Grant/Lee volute suspension. They could very well instead use Valintine style suspension, which might acctually make it look even cooler. 8)

Tuesday, October 20th 2009, 3:58pm

So you mean something like this, Wes?

Tuesday, October 20th 2009, 3:58pm

I had worked out a Crusader-based Ram but I don't know if ShinRa liked it enough to go with that.

I agree a Valtentine Ram might be good but it is narrower.

Tuesday, October 20th 2009, 4:17pm

Quoted

Originally posted by thesmilingassassin
I LOVE the RAM tank, pity it didn't see sevice simply just for the sake of seeing service. I suppose it would depend on the possibity of getting their hands on the historical M-3 Grant/Lee volute suspension. They could very well instead use Valintine style suspension, which might acctually make it look even cooler. 8)

All current WW US tanks use the vertical volute spring arrangement that was created for the early M1 Combat Car, as was historical.

Tuesday, October 20th 2009, 6:58pm

Someone want to clue me in on what the major improvments of the Ram over the M3 (or even the M4) are? Wikipedia doesn't offer much of a compare and contrast on the subject.

Beyond that, what implicatons would the nature of Canada's terrain have on tank (and other vehicle) design and selection? It would seem to me that a majority of vehicles are designed with road-use in mind, whereas a vast amount of Canadian territory would lack such amenities. Also, given climate conditions (especially further north), would that affect habitability and other issues taken for granted elsewhere?

Wednesday, October 21st 2009, 1:58am

The Ram had slightly more frontal armour than the M4A2 (89mm vs. 76mm) and slightly better trench crossing ability than the M3. Speed would be compairable to the M3.

With a few refinements I'm sure specs can be improved a wee bit.

Also most of Canada's population is based in hospitable terrian.

Wednesday, October 21st 2009, 3:03am

Quoted

Originally posted by thesmilingassassin
Also most of Canada's population is based in hospitable terrian.

Canada's primary defensive concern would be an invasion of the Pacific Northwest from the sea, or through Alaska; I'm not an expert on the area, but I'd think that's more rugged terrain, in addition to the difficulties of mobilzation to the area. War with the United States is considered highly unlikely, and ridiculously difficult (If not impossible) to reliably plan against. Invasion of the Atlantic coastlines seems improbable at this juncture; the only local power is nominally allied with the Crown, and any other powers would likely deal with the British Isles before assaulting Canada, giving ample time to prepare a defense much closer to Canada's industrial and population centers.

Any other use of Canada's armed forces will be in support of a NATO or Commonwealth conflict, in which case there is a wide range of terrain, climate, and other factors to contend with, and should be planned for in developmental terms.

Any other notable technical developments related to the RAM? What really moves it from being an M3 variant into it's own animal?

Wednesday, October 21st 2009, 3:29am

The most obvious is that it has the main gun in the turret as well as being heavier and better armored