You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Thursday, August 27th 2009, 4:41pm

Away From Keyboard

I am going to be traveling out of state to a friend's wedding; leaving tonight, and shall return very late on Monday night. I expect to drive at least 2,100 miles altogether... whoohoo!

Chile's automatic defenses are set to 'Powerful Allies'.
Bulgaria's automatic defenses are set to 'Artileriya Rezerva Glaven Komanda'.
Ireland's automatic defenses are set to 'You really don't want to invade the Irish'.

Thursday, August 27th 2009, 5:28pm

2100 miles, in 5 days? Better assume the position and get started..... :)

Thursday, August 27th 2009, 8:16pm

It's actually going to be more like 900 miles of that all on Monday... :P

Thursday, August 27th 2009, 8:24pm

And the speed limit you'll encounter most of the way? 55? 65?

Thursday, August 27th 2009, 8:34pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Rooijen10
And the speed limit you'll encounter most of the way? 55? 65?

70mph everywhere but Ill-of-noise, where it's 65mph.

Yes, I am a psychopath endurance driver. :P

Thursday, August 27th 2009, 9:58pm

They should ban speed limits. That way you can get to your destination much faster. :)

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Rooijen10" (Aug 27th 2009, 9:58pm)

Thursday, August 27th 2009, 10:17pm

Heh, that's called "Montana", where the speed limit is "Drive Safe". :P I wish we did have something like the Autobahns here, but I'd bet dollars to donuts that it'll never happen - the police unions will miss the influx of money from speeding tickets!

There are a few states I know where the speed limit is 75mph: Nebraska, eastern Colorado, and western Kansas are the only places I know of offhand. Granted, there's so little to see in western Kansas that you want to get through it Really Fast. (A college acquaintance dubbed it "The Great Interstate 70 Treadmill".)

Thursday, August 27th 2009, 10:54pm

Quoted

Heh, that's called "Montana", where the speed limit is "Drive Safe".

What? Not 'Drive environmentally clean'? The faster you drive, the faster you get to your location and the shorter the time is that your engine is running. :)

Quoted

but I'd bet dollars to donuts that it'll never happen - the police unions will miss the influx of money from speeding tickets!

They need money so the police officers can buy their donuts. :)

Sometimes I think they come up with the most ridiculous reasons to give you a ticket. No doubt just to get more money in for more donuts.

Thursday, August 27th 2009, 11:29pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Brockpaine
Heh, that's called "Montana", where the speed limit is "Drive Safe". :P I wish we did have something like the Autobahns here, but I'd bet dollars to donuts that it'll never happen - the police unions will miss the influx of money from speeding tickets!

Sadly, Montana had to drop it's "safe and sane" speed limits some years ago, after a guy who was ticketed for going 120+ got let off by the judge because the guy made the case that it was safe and sane for him. I think the speed limit there is 70-75 mph these days.

Thursday, August 27th 2009, 11:32pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Hrolf Hakonson

Quoted

Originally posted by Brockpaine

Sadly, Montana had to drop it's "safe and sane" speed limits some years ago, after a guy who was ticketed for going 120+ got let off by the judge because the guy made the case that it was safe and sane for him. I think the speed limit there is 70-75 mph these days.

Oh, bugger...

*Grouses about nanny-statists and other assorted idiots who ruin it for the rest of us.*

Friday, August 28th 2009, 1:31am

Where actually are you going, anyway?

Friday, August 28th 2009, 8:37am

Ha, hotel has wireless. 390 miles down...

Going to oHIo. Some little village named Cleveland. :P

Friday, August 28th 2009, 8:46am

75mph in Arizona, love it. Apparently here you can get a ticket called "Waste of Valuable Resources" you get it for going 5mph over the speed limit... ?(

Friday, August 28th 2009, 9:04am

Quoted

Originally posted by Desertfox
75mph in Arizona, love it. Apparently here you can get a ticket called "Waste of Valuable Resources" you get it for going 5mph over the speed limit... ?(

Maybe they give it to you because you're not going fast enough over the speed limit to give you a more serious (and lucrative) ticket?

Cop: "Man, that dude's only doing five over... what a waste of a valuable resource. If only he'd go another 5mph faster I could buy a full box of donuts with the extra money..."

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Friday, August 28th 2009, 12:19pm

Can you loose your driving licence when your "extra speed" was too high?

In Germany you start loosing it temporarly (1 month) for going 31km/h too fast in towns and 41km/h outside. For two month you need to be beyond the limit for 51km/h and 61km/h respectively while the big win is at minimum 61/71 km/h too fast - then you´ll have to walk for three month.

Friday, August 28th 2009, 1:20pm

that seems extremely leniant, over here in the good old UK, where if I was doing nearlt 40 mph over the limit in a town (so 70 in a 30), I'd probably get charged with reckless (or worse damgerous) driving, and get a minimun 12 month ban, serious fine, and have to attend some safe driving class.

Friday, August 28th 2009, 6:30pm

Quoted

Originally posted by HoOmAn
Can you loose your driving licence when your "extra speed" was too high?

In Germany you start loosing it temporarly (1 month) for going 31km/h too fast in towns and 41km/h outside. For two month you need to be beyond the limit for 51km/h and 61km/h respectively while the big win is at minimum 61/71 km/h too fast - then you´ll have to walk for three month.

Depends on the juristiction. In general, you just get fines, but repeated offenses in the same juristiction can lead to liscence suspensions, as well as increased insurance rates, and other sentences.

Traffic enforcement in the US is based more around revenue generation than it is saftey; Someone 'out of town' is much more likely to get a ticket and fine, while a resident will get a warning, or not even pulled over. Things like that.

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Friday, August 28th 2009, 11:18pm

I´m not surprised. Welcome to the USA....

Saturday, August 29th 2009, 2:26am

Talk about revenue. Phoenix AZ is practiclly covered in speed cameras, with the limit on the freeways being 55mph. Everyone hates them, and if you don't know where they are, you can get like 5 speeding tickets in a row. Residents have gotten used to them, and you can always tell where a camera is by the mass slowing of traffic as they near that point.

Saturday, August 29th 2009, 9:10am

Quoted

Originally posted by TheCanadian
Ontario used to have photo radar as well in the early 90's. However it worked a little too well, so many people were getting caught doing over the posted speed limit that it backed the courts up 10 years. And if you dont see a judge after 5 years in Ont, the case is thrown out of court. So they took the cameras down and sold them to Alberta.

They got rid of Photo Radar here in B.C. a few years back......nasty cash grab scheme that was. I wasn't aware that Alberta still had it up and running though.

*Funny, this post was after TheCanadians post and yet shows up before?!!!*