You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Tuesday, February 10th 2009, 2:18am

The Atlantean Griffon that deveolped to hunt the Pegases,( giving rise to a true Airborne cavalry) :D

Tuesday, February 10th 2009, 2:20am

Quoted

Originally posted by Vukovlad
The Atlantean Griffon that deveolped to hunt the Pegases,( giving rise to a true Airborne cavalry) :D

Ha! I like it! :D

It kinda reminds me of some fantasy books - the Temeraire books by Naomi Novik. Dragons fighting in the Napoleonic Wars! If you haven't read them, Vukovlad, you might enjoy them. A bit awkward at times, but overall they're a decent read.

Tuesday, February 10th 2009, 2:21am

I have been eyeing the Temeraire books but been hesitant to buy them.

Tuesday, February 10th 2009, 2:24am

Its interesting you mentioned Wisents as I've created an animal called the Lyrian Bull, most likely more commonly know as the Lyrian Wisent.

As for the Griffon and Pegases idea, I like it too!

Tuesday, February 10th 2009, 2:26am

Looking at the Atlantean heraldry I wonder if the Bull depicted could be the Aurochs? Which would be an interesting preservation task, how densely populated are the Atlantean islands?

Tuesday, February 10th 2009, 2:33am

Quoted

...how densely populated are the Atlantean islands?

I recall Atlantis proper is roughly the area of Greenland; with a stated 1928 population of 62.8 million it ought to have around 28-32 people per square kilometer. It's actually about the same population density as the US. (Sweden is 20 p/km2, UK is 246, France is 110, Russia is 8.4...)

Quoted

I have been eyeing the Temeraire books but been hesitant to buy them.

They're pretty good, I'd rate them four stars out of five. It's an amusing concept, there's some fun humor, and it didn't hit any of my Must-throw-book-at-wall buttons.

The chief gripe I had about this is that the main characters suffer from being Speshul. If there's something cool or necessary to be done, it never occurs to the supporting characters to do it, only Our Heroes. I didn't find it a mortal error, but it does grate a bit on me.

First and third books are best, IMHO. Second book seemed rather episodic and was a tad droll, but the third book featured Iskierka, the baby spiky Turkish fire-breathing dragon, who made some of the most hilarious lines in the book. Fourth book... ends with a horrible, terrible, demonic-inspired cliffhanger, and I still haven't found the fifth book, yet. (Seriously, I read the last line of the fourth book and shouted "GYAAAGH!!!") X(

Tuesday, February 10th 2009, 2:53am

Quoted

Looking at the Atlantean heraldry I wonder if the Bull depicted could be the Aurochs? Which would be an interesting preservation task, how densely populated are the Atlantean islands?

Interesting stuff your digging up Vuko, ironically enough it would seem the Lyrian Bull would be quite similar to Heck cattle, perhaps the result of a conservation effort either past or ongoing.

Tuesday, February 10th 2009, 3:09am

Didn´t really think that the Wisent story would attract much interest but some musings.

Thinking of how to explain the Wisent in Persia I decided that it will be an hitherto unkown subspecies (and almost extinct ~30 animals).

Scientific name Bison bonasus persica, sounds OK Brock?

As for the Lyran Bull, I can see two options either a hybrid á la Heck or an subspecies adapted to being isolated on the Atlantean Islands. being interested in extinct or nearly extinct animals I would be most interested in an article on the Atlantean fauna.

Tuesday, February 10th 2009, 3:13am

Quoted

Didn´t really think that the Wisent story would attract much interest but some musings.

Thinking of how to explain the Wisent in Persia I decided that it will be an hitherto unkown subspecies (and almost extinct ~30 animals).

Scientific name Bison bonasus persica, sounds OK Brock?

As for the Lyran Bull, I can see two options either a hybrid á la Heck or an subspecies adapted to being isolated on the Atlantean Islands. being interested in extinct or nearly extinct animals I would be most interested in an article on the Atlantean fauna.

Heh, I'm mainly interested in the whole Wisent thing because it adds flavor, and it lets us stop rattling sabers at each other long enough to talk peaceably! :P

Scientific name sounds fine to me.

This talk of the extinct animalia reminds me of when I was still working on the Motunui Saga over on Warships Projects Discussions Board. One of my co-writers wrote up some mean Motunuian (island nation east of New Zealand) fauna. There was this crazy meat-eating kangaroo, a breed of leopard seal that thought it was a crocodile, a flightless bird that could use it's beak to spear a man dead, and the pouakai, the world's largest eagle. The Motunuian Royal Navy named their capital ships after the local beasties.

...once we finish up the Yugoslavian War I really ought to go back to that project. I have a lot more Springsharp experience now and some truly wicked armoured cruisers to unleash in the late 1930s to participate in the Solomons campaign.

Tuesday, February 10th 2009, 3:17am

Hmm, the worlds largest eagle around New Zeeland why does that sound like a surviving Haast's Eagle...

Tuesday, February 10th 2009, 3:21am

Quoted

Hmm, the worlds largest eagle around New Zeeland why does that sound like a surviving Haast's Eagle...

Because it was. :P Pouakai was the Maori word for the Haast's Eagle. The Pouakai was my addition, as I found the bird on Wikipedia and immediately latched onto it. I still have the website which has much of the information that remains.

We never really developed it beyond the 1920s, but Motunui had some interesting ships. In Wesworld they'd probably rank around 16-18 factories. I've refined the idea a number of times, but my most recent variant gave them four dreadnoughts (10x30cm) and two battlecruisers (8x35cm) going into World War One. I have an unfinished story with the two Motunuian battlecruisers fighting with Beatty at Jutland.

Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled Persian thread!

Tuesday, February 10th 2009, 3:58am

Wow, you actually made a site about it, guess you would want it included in WW2

Tuesday, February 10th 2009, 5:19am

23 bahman 1315 - 1306 Y.Z. Shehrevar Ava (February 12, 1937)

With insults flying and a fist fight barely averted the Spokesman of the Majlis adjourned the debate on the Armed Forces until further notice to give the hot tempers time to cool. The race for votes however go on unabated with the constitutionals trying to get a three quarters majority necessary to dismiss an Imperial veto.

The Ministry of National Heritage ordered the capture of the newly discovered Wisents for a breeding program in an undisclosed farm, a spokes man for the MoNH has declared that the farm will receive a lot of security. The MoNH has also petitioned the Government to transfer six companies reserved for foreign duty to be re-trained for protection of the National parks that have been setup.

Among the national parks to be protected are the Hara forests, the Kavir National Park, the Tandooreh National Park and the Khvoy National Park

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Vukovlad" (Feb 10th 2009, 5:21am)

Tuesday, February 10th 2009, 6:25am

Quoted

Wow, you actually made a site about it, guess you would want it included in WW2

That was the idea, though we never decided about which side it would be on. I had argued for the Allied side, while the other main contributor pressed a case for the Motunuians invading New Zealand and helping the Japanese. The Taruru no Motunui - Motunuian Royal Navy - had close relationships with the USN, and there were large numbers of Chinese immigrants in Motunui; I figured when Motunui joined WWII in late December of '41, they'd have the ships to fight delaying actions alongside ABDA; but the main event was a showdown for control of Rabaul in January 1942, a la Battle of the Coral Sea.

Friday, February 13th 2009, 3:02pm

1 esfand 1315 - 1306 Y.Z. Shehrevar Rashne (February 20, 1937)

The capture of the recently discovered Wisents has been carried out successfully although three animals had to be put down due to injuries incurred during the capture, all three carcasses have been turned over to the University of Teheran for further study. According to zoologists in Teheran the Wisents are not Caucasian Wisents like earlier reported but a subspecies that are to be called the Persian Mountain Wisent or Bison and has preliminary been given the scientific name Bison bonasus persica. Members of the International Wildlife Society has been invited to aid in the study of these unique animals and come with aplan for how to best preserve this species.