You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Wednesday, August 20th 2008, 6:11pm

Ireland News Q3/1936

July 4
The Republic of Ireland sends its annual good wishes to the US on the anniversary of its independence, and its condolences to the United Kingdom.

July 18
Work is progressing rapidly on the new destroyer LE Connacht, which will soon bear the hull number "S1".

August 1
Two sleek new Motor Torpedo Boats, named M-1 and M-2, were launched today. These 75-ton MTBs are both fast and seaworthy, with their design based upon a picture of a German torpedo boat that an engineer saw in Janes.

August 7
Two old ladies from Baldonnel complained to the Irish Air Corps that the engine noise of their new Hawker Hurricane fighters upset their cats and caused them problems with throwing up. The women suggested that the pilots not turn their engines on until they had reached a higher altitude.

August 9
Three teenagers in Dublin were disciplined with twenty hours of community service for mooning a detachment of the Irish Blue Hussars, who were painting their barracks. "Kids these days," said Army sergeant O'Hara. "Back in my day we woulda gotten whipped."

August 15
Fisheries protection frigates Deirdre and Eithne have completed their trials at Galway. They are the first warships ever built for the Irish Naval Service.

August 17
The Deirdre and Eithne have taken aboard Taoiseach Eamon de Valera and set sail together for the coast of Nordmark, where they will participate in the Coldmere Naval Review.

August 23
Sixteen sheep in County Waterford were struck dead by lightning.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Brockpaine" (Aug 20th 2008, 6:12pm)

Wednesday, August 20th 2008, 7:35pm

Quoted

August 7
Two old ladies from Baldonnel complained to the Irish Air Corps that the engine noise of their new Hawker Hurricane fighters upset their cats and caused them problems with throwing up. The women suggested that the pilots not turn their engines on until they had reached a higher altitude.

That should do the trick...

Wednesday, August 20th 2008, 9:00pm

RE: Ireland News Q3/1936

Quoted

Originally posted by Brockpaine
.....with their design based upon a picture of a German torpedo boat that an engineer saw in Janes.

Ah yes, Irish espionage at it's best!!

Saturday, August 23rd 2008, 10:30am

:D :D :D :D

Great news, while the world grapples in high policy and fighting gruelling wars in Ireland old ladys moan, social manners decline and sheep get electrocuted (how does one bolt kill 16 sheep or shouldn't I ask?).
Surely the bizarre happens in Ireland!

Saturday, August 23rd 2008, 11:13am

Quoted

Originally posted by Hood
Surely the bizarre happens in Ireland!

Hell yeah!

While the rest of the world battered itself to death in WW2, we had "The Emergency".......

Saturday, August 23rd 2008, 6:12pm

That's the reason I find playing Ireland so fun. I can make a really big deal over the smallest things, provide a bit of levity, and enjoy myself!

Kaiser Kirk

Lightbringer and former European Imperialist

Saturday, August 23rd 2008, 8:41pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Brockpaine
That's the reason I find playing Ireland so fun. I can make a really big deal over the smallest things, provide a bit of levity, and enjoy myself!

I figured it was the Guinness. :)

Saturday, August 23rd 2008, 8:43pm

You mean Bushmill! :D

Saturday, August 23rd 2008, 8:52pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Vukovlad

Hate to disappoint you, but Bushmills is North of the border, and therefore in Hood's domain.

But you could always go one better and have a Midleton!!!

Kaiser Kirk

Lightbringer and former European Imperialist

Saturday, August 23rd 2008, 9:00pm

Sad to say, while I like Guinness/Harps/Murphys, Irish whiskey isn't my preference, I like various Scotches. Not sure what my favorite is...hmm maybe time for another taste test..

Saturday, August 23rd 2008, 9:07pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Commodore Green

Quoted

Hate to disappoint you, but Bushmills is North of the border, and therefore in Hood's domain.

At 150€ a bottle its a bit out of my price range, I will have to stick to Blackbush and Jameson

Thursday, October 2nd 2008, 6:28pm

September 10
Deputy John O'Flaherty (TD, Dublin) has introduced to the Dáil Éireann an economic growth plan for improving the Irish economy. Most controversially, it suggests lowering the current corporate taxation bracket particularly for knowledge-based industry, in order to grow that sector of the economy. The plan also suggests the development of a Swiss-style banking system, backed by strict Banking Privacy laws, the development of an open shipping registry, and the establishment of a national airline. O'Flaherty identified seven foreign organizations, most notably the Bank of the Kongo, which had expressed interest in opening a branch in Ireland. The Plan also suggested that Ireland seek a trade agreement with Great Britain, and consider joining the Pan-European Trade Agreement organization, while otherwise steering clear of all other political entanglements. O'Flaherty admitted that, while both an Anglo-Irish trade treaty and PETA membership would be preferable, it would be in Ireland's best interest to resolve an Anglo-Irish treaty before even considering PETA.

September 18
After six days of debate about the O'Flaherty Economic Plan, deputies in the Dail have introduced four separate economic bills. The first, Bill 33-911A, has authorized the creation of a national airline (to be named Aer Lingus) and the formation of an open shipping registry. The second bill, 35-916 called for the government to pursue an Anglo-Irish Trade Treaty. Bill 33-914 seeks to authorize banks to operate under Swiss-style rules regarding bank privacy, and cut the tax rate on both Irish citizens and corporations by 15%, with another 10% drop in September 1937 if O'Flaherty Plan projections meet expectations. The final bill, 38-917, lays the legal foundation necessary for investment groups (such as the Bank of the Kongo) to open branches in Ireland. Bills 33-911A and 38-917 passed by significant margins, while 35-916 and 33-914 were shelved for further future discussion.

September 30
The Irish Naval Service yard in Galway successfully floated the destroyer LE Connacht from her drydock for the first time. Despite heavy rain, a large and enthusiastic crowd turned out to watch the ceremony.

The large destroyer will soon be the largest and best-armed unit in the Irish Naval Service, boasting outstanding speeds and armament. She will be commissioned on February 17th.

The ceremony suffered a minor interruption when a cat came aboard, pursued by sailors from the SS Mara, who insisted the black-and-white cat was their lucky charm. The cat, supposedly nicknamed Lady Jutland, curled up underneath the Irish naval ensign and refused to be ejected. The future sailors of the Connacht immediately adopted the feline and compensated the crew of the Mara for their departed crew cat.

Friday, October 10th 2008, 10:09pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Commodore Green

Quoted

what, you mean I have convinced you? (for the rest, it took a German to convince a certain, not to be named, Irishman of the merits of Irish Whiskey.

Saturday, October 11th 2008, 12:42am

Quoted

Originally posted by LordArpad
what, you mean I have convinced you? (for the rest, it took a German to convince a certain, not to be named, Irishman of the merits of Irish Whiskey.

But I still (pun intended!!) prefer Scottish Island Single Malts!!