You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Friday, November 23rd 2007, 9:06pm

Indian Air Corps

OOC: Rocky let me know if you wnat any changes on it.

Indian Army Air Corps

Founded in 1914 a couple of months before the beginning of the Great War the Imperial Army Air Corps received their baptize during the wars in the Asir Mandate. The battles in the Arabian Peninsula shaped this force into one tasked to defend the country against the designs of the European nations (1) and support the Army in their military operations for that same purpose. Currently close to 15% of the manpower of the Standing Army is part of the Air Corps; either as pilots, mechanics, air crews, logistics personnel, AA guns crewmen and other assorted personnel. The Air Corps is the second largest in the World as today, only second the one fielded by Russia.

Five major companies control the aeronautical business in India; Alleppey Aeronautics, Kiran Industries, Mayawati, Awali Brothers and Imperial Aeronautics. While Kiran Industries and Awali Brothers by the beginning of the 1930’s started to concentrate in the Naval Aviation the other three companies started to compete for the more profitable Army Air Corps contracts. By the year 1936 Alleppey lost their fight with Imperial Aeronautics for the fighter market while the smaller Mayawati started to use Imperial engines in their bomber designs since early in the decade.

By 1936 the Indian Imperial Air Corps was composed of 80 fighter regiments, 60 bomber one and 12 ground attack ones. While Alleppey fighters are know for the use of radial engines the one from Imperial plus the bombers build by Mayawati are powered by inline engines and after the performance first of the Mayawati bombers and later of the Imperial fighters cemented the dominance of inline engines in the procurement and requirements bureau.

List of new aircrafts since 1932; the rest of the regiments are fielding aircrafts designed before the aircraft that follow. Those must likely will be phased out with the new aircrafts entering service.

Fighters since 1932:

Name: Alleppey Aeronautics Sikara I (Hawk)
Type: land based fighter
Crew: 1
Max Speed: 250 mph at 13,000 feet
200 mph at sea level
Engine: 1 x AA 200 at 650 hp radial
Range: 630 miles
Armament: 1 x 7.92mm machine guns(Nose), 1 x 15mm machinegun(Nose); 5 30lbs bombs or 2 100lbs bombs.

Notes: Started production on January 1932 and by the time production was ended in December 1935 over 1500 of then were build between it and their improved version. Exported to Persia. Over 30 regiments currently using this aircraft or the improved version.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Name: Alleppey Aeronautics Sikara II (Hawk)
Max Speed: 260 mph at 13,000 feet
220 mph at sea level
Engine: 1 x AA 200 at 750 hp radial
Range: 640 miles
Armament: 1 x 7.92mm machine guns(Nose), 1 x 15mm machinegun(Nose); 5 30lbs bombs or 2 100lbs bombs.

Notes: Using a newer engine that raised the horsepower by one hundred. Over 30 regiments currently using this aircraft or the improved version.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Name: Imperial Aeronautics Sher (Lion)
Max Speed: 290 mph at 14,000 feet
260 mph at sea level
Engine: 1 x IA 300 at 750 hp inline
Range: 510 miles

Notes: Started production in early 1933 and was the reason Alleppey increased the horsepower of their engine in an attempt to keep at par with their competition. Close to 20 regiments currently using this aircraft. Faster that their competition but with shorter legs.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Name: Imperial Aeronautics Syen (Falcon)
Max Speed: 355 mph at 15,000 feet
300 mph at sea level
Engine: 1 x IA 350 at 1150 hp inline
Range: 350 miles
Armament: 2 7.92mm machine guns(Nose); 2 15mm machine guns(wings)

Notes: The lessons of the concluded war in Asir were mated with the newest Imperial Aeronautics engine to build the most heavily armed and armored fighter in the world by the time it entered began production on January 1935. Currently serving in less than 10 regiments.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Interceptors since 1932:

Name: Imperial Aeronautics Garu (Eagle)
Type: land based interceptor
Max Speed: 380 mph at 25,000 feet
370 mph at 15,000 feet
340 mph at sea level
Engine: 2 x IA 350 at 1150 hp inline
Range: 800 miles
Armament: 2 7.92mm machine guns(Wings); 2 25mm cannons (Nose)

Notes: First twin engine fighter in the Imperial Air Corps; using the same engine as the Syen it was 40mph faster and carried the heaviest main armament in the world at the time. It was ordered in anticipation to what was perceived as the eventual war with the European powers and their large fleets of bombers. Serving in less than 10 regiments.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Bombers since 1932:

Name: Mayawati Haathee I (Elephant)
Type: land based bomber
Crew: 4
Max Speed: 230 mph at 13000 feet
Engine: 2 x IA 300 at 750 hp inline
Range: 700 miles with 2000lbs of bombs
Armament: 1 7.92mm machinegun (Nose), 1 7.92mm machinegun (Dorsal), 1 7.92mm machinegun(Ventral Hole); 3000lbs maximum bomb payload.

Notes: Mayawati’s decision of dropping of the fighter competition and to concentrate in bombers paid off by getting the contract for the Haathee in late 1932. The production of the Haathee started in 1933 and continues strong; with the improved Haathee II entering service early in 1935. Close to 30 regiments either with the Haathee I or II versions.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Name: Mayawati Haathee II (Elephant)
Type: land based bomber
Crew: 4
Max Speed: 260 mph at 16000 feet
Engine: 2 x IA 350 at 1150 hp inline
Range: 900 miles with 2000lbs of bombs
Armament: 1 7.92mm machinegun (Nose), 1 7.92mm machinegun (Dorsal), 1 7.92mm machinegun(Ventral Hole); 4500lbs maximum bomb payload.

Notes: Improved Haathee with extended range, speed and payload.

(1) the Air Corps is being designed to protect the nation of enemy aircrafts and to support the ground forces. The navy is considered the one that should project power abroad but in operations like Asir is considered necessary to take the offensive.

This post has been edited 4 times, last edit by "perdedor99" (Nov 24th 2007, 3:10pm)

Kaiser Kirk

Lightbringer and former European Imperialist

Saturday, November 24th 2007, 3:44am

While an impressive effort, I'd like it if the 'historic' pre-1935 aircraft were more in keeping with what other powers were fielding.

The Hawk & Lion's 15mm MGs are far larger than comparable aircraft and would have been noted in the past- recall the flak about the I-100's initial gun loadout. Most other folks are still transitioning from rifle-caliber on up to 20mm, and the Germans only recently (Hrolf?) came out with their 15mm.

As for the lessons of Asir... they might be the other way. Little AA capability and mobile (horse/camel) targets with no armor would tend to argue for more, smaller MGs, not slower and heavier cannon.
The Python's 2000lbs of armor and heavy cannon loadout just isn't justified by a bunch of camel jockeys with bolt-action rifles and the rare 13.2mm AAMG.

As for the Eagle, yes, it's very heavily armed with 35mm (!) cannon. Again, the need for such has yet to be established. The plane seems to be supercharged for 25,000 ft, not the 15,000 ft common. It's doable, and is similar to the G-1A, but...who's large fleets of bombers? The Dutch don't have a single one in production which can bomb across the Indian ocean, and it sounds like the RAF is gearing up, but has a long way to go. So.. the Italians from Africa?

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Kaiser Kirk" (Nov 24th 2007, 3:45am)

Saturday, November 24th 2007, 3:55am

Quoted

Originally posted by Kaiser Kirk
While an impressive effort, I'd like it if the 'historic' pre-1935 aircraft were more in keeping with what other powers were fielding.

The Hawk & Lion's 15mm MGs are far larger than comparable aircraft and would have been noted in the past- recall the flak about the I-100's initial gun loadout. Most other folks are still transitioning from rifle-caliber on up to 20mm, and the Germans only recently (Hrolf?) came out with their 15mm.

As for the lessons of Asir... they might be the other way. Little AA capability and mobile (horse/camel) targets with no armor would tend to argue for more, smaller MGs, not slower and heavier cannon.
The Python's 2000lbs of armor and heavy cannon loadout just isn't justified by a bunch of camel jockeys with bolt-action rifles and the rare 13.2mm AAMG.

As for the Eagle, yes, it's very heavily armed with 35mm (!) cannon. Again, the need for such has yet to be established. The plane seems to be supercharged for 25,000 ft, not the 15,000 ft common. It's doable, and is similar to the G-1A, but...who's large fleets of bombers? The Dutch don't have a single one in production which can bomb across the Indian ocean, and it sounds like the RAF is gearing up, but has a long way to go. So.. the Italians from Africa?

I could agree with all the info you stated and the main armaments are being downgraded in all the fighters.

In regard to the ground attack aircraft i took into consideration the paranoia of the Indian nation in regard to Europeans but I didn't took into consideration the nature of the warfare in the region. the aircraft is gone for now.

The eagle is a paranoid's wet dream. They have to fought during the last 80 years against the European powers and the threat of their cities being attacked in the future could force them to preemptively try to respond but I agree and will reduce the size of the main battery to 25mm cannons.

Kaiser Kirk

Lightbringer and former European Imperialist

Saturday, November 24th 2007, 5:48am

That sounds reasonable. It was a good presentation to start, with the right engine and speed ranges :)

I guess I'll have to go ahead and start producing the D119, it's got the range to hit mainland India from Sumatra :)

Saturday, November 24th 2007, 10:52am

Quoted

It was ordered in anticipation to what was perceived as the eventual war with the European powers and their large fleets of bombers. Serving in less than 10 regiments.

So far the only European countries to be fielding modern heavy bombers are Nordmark and Russia. India is just too far away to stage a strategic bombing campaign without something like the B-36.

The 15mm machine gun has been noted before, usually on a single mount as an anti-zepplin weapon.

Saturday, November 24th 2007, 1:42pm

The 15mm HMG is an Indian standard, they've used them for years in naval AA mountings. However, that doesn't mean that those weapons are necessarily ideal for mounting on aircraft. While many HMGs were used back and forth between ground and aerial mountings with no real changes in the weapon, in larger weapons (14mm and up) it was not uncommon for aerial weapons to be of similar bore but different cartridge length (to keep weight and recoil down, while allowing similar effects on targets).

The RAF, which historically is in the process of procuring Armstrong-Whitworth Whitleys, Vickers Wellingtons, and Handley-Page Harrows at this time (and may be slightly further along in that process here in WW), might well be another concern for the IAAC. After all, the British Empire has bases rather nearer to India than Europe.

It might help with the Eagle if it's marked as entering service in 1935 or so, given that it's using the same engine as the Falcon. Also, it might make more sense to use 7.92mm nose guns as sighting weapons for the cannon, whether those cannon are 15mm, 20mm or 25mm. (Germany would suggest, at this point, given that we don't really know how tough bombers can be, a quad 15mm arrangement rather like the Fw-187As that the Luftwaffe's getting, but that's just a suggestion.)

Saturday, November 24th 2007, 2:52pm

Another good effort, Perdedor. Maybe you should simply take on India as its new player?

I don't know if India would have the industrial base to support the second largest air force around, but it would certainly be higher in world rankings than the navy.

I had been using a single 15 mm cannon in the nose of fighter aircraft since ~1929/30, and one was also installed in a float-scout, as RA noted. This was in line with historical projects such as some Boeing fighters; whether it was a great idea is another matter altogether.

Agree that designs should be broadly equal to their counterparts - on the other hand, operational experience in the stories I took the trouble to script will count for something. Maritime surveilance and aerial transport are probably other areas that have seen advances as a result of the various conflicts India has been involved in.

I like the nomenclature for the aircraft!

Saturday, November 24th 2007, 2:58pm

The RAF in Pakistan and Burma have mainly obsolete biplane types. Singapore has more modern planes but it will be some time before newer sutff gets to the more remoter parts of the Empire.

I'd say it is way to early for a 35mm cannon but I've no probs with a 25mm cannon but I'd expect it to be big and heavy. Overall there is not many types here to worry about from the RAFs perspective.

Saturday, November 24th 2007, 3:08pm

Quoted

Originally posted by The Rock Doctor
Another good effort, Perdedor. Maybe you should simply take on India as its new player?

I don't know if India would have the industrial base to support the second largest air force around, but it would certainly be higher in world rankings than the navy.

I had been using a single 15 mm cannon in the nose of fighter aircraft since ~1929/30, and one was also installed in a float-scout, as RA noted. This was in line with historical projects such as some Boeing fighters; whether it was a great idea is another matter altogether.

Agree that designs should be broadly equal to their counterparts - on the other hand, operational experience in the stories I took the trouble to script will count for something. Maritime surveilance and aerial transport are probably other areas that have seen advances as a result of the various conflicts India has been involved in.

I like the nomenclature for the aircraft!

With close to 50 years of industrial development I could see India in a similar light as the Soviet Union in regard to aircrafts; cheap and easy to make designs but at the same time competitive with comparable aircrafts.

Will change the main armaments again to replace one of the machine guns for a 15mm one in the earlier models. That could explain the reason of the jump to two 25mm cannons in 1935; experience fielding large caliber guns.

Will see what I can think about transport aircrafts.

In regard about India will not mind running the place in a day to day basis until you feel ready to come back. Still I think you should continue to run the naval side of things(just tell me what to build and give me run down of the character of WW India in general)

Saturday, November 24th 2007, 4:35pm

It's highly unlikely that I will resume playing India. The sim would be better off to accept this, and find another player to tackle that role.

In the event that you did take on India, I'd be happy to discuss what I'd been planning, but to be honest, there's very little beyond 1936.