You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Thursday, June 28th 2007, 8:32pm

Computer problems

Alas, this afternoon I had a disagreement with the Blue Screen of Death. On rebooting, imagine my horror when the computer declares that the operating system cannot be found. Add to that a boot disk that doesn't, a recovery disk that won't boot, and the computer being out of warranty: I think my laptop may be dead. At least ill, anyhow.

I think the data is recoverable - it had better be, as I foolishly haven't backed up in some months - but I'm not actually sure how to access it. So it might be a while until I can contribute significantly, depends how long it takes to recover.

Maybe it's an omen, I'd planned reformatting it anyway, just with a tame geek to hand and on my own terms. Still, we'll see how this goes...

Thursday, June 28th 2007, 8:40pm

Ouch...

May the Force be with you as you recover your data!

Thursday, June 28th 2007, 9:21pm

DON'T reformat, that will erase all your data on the hard drive. Figure out some way to retreive that first, then type "format c:".

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Swamphen" (Jun 28th 2007, 9:22pm)

Thursday, June 28th 2007, 9:25pm

Certainly hope that your computer hasn't completely fallen to the Dark Side...

Quoted

DON'T reformat, that will erase all your data on the hard drive. Figure out some way to retreive that first, then type "format c:".

Speaking from experience, Swamphen?? :)

Thursday, June 28th 2007, 9:32pm

Thankfully, no - our computer problems have been of the more mysterious variety than the BSofD. (Currently one's in the shop and the other has a modem what went ventre montant Monday afternoon, necessitating an emergency outing to acquire computer #3...). Our only reformatting has been before discarding ancient artifacts.

But wait - if he loses his data, the Royal Navy dissipears! Reformat away baby!! :evil: :D

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Swamphen" (Jun 28th 2007, 9:33pm)

Thursday, June 28th 2007, 10:45pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Swamphen

That's the plan...

I first have to get to the point where I can type anything at all, being the rub.

Friday, June 29th 2007, 1:00am

Having my fair share of computer problems I feel your pain! Hope you can recover your data!

Wednesday, July 4th 2007, 10:46pm

Well, the computer's been looked at by a professional computer geek, and the prognosis is: it's alive, but it needs a new hard drive. Which will be the third in as many years. ?(

Of course, that means the data's gone, too. So I'll have to resurrect what I can from a 10-month-old backup. Well, better than nothing, I guess. Lesson learnt.

Thursday, July 5th 2007, 3:41am

Yikes! Time for new computer shoping? I has similar problems with my old computer, changed just about every single component in the damned thing.

Saturday, July 7th 2007, 5:56am

Ouch!! 8o

Meanwhile here, got Ye Olde Gate-Way back from the shop last weekend. They couldn't reproduce the problem. :rolleyes: Now I just need to get off my duff and quickly transfer the files I need to the WinXP model that is now mine! All mine! Mwahahaha!!!

*ahem*

Saturday, July 7th 2007, 8:57am

No Vista? I've been running it for several months now with no major problems yet *knocks on wood* aside from the few issues with games in multiplayer.

Sunday, July 15th 2007, 11:41pm

Well, I've finally found the driver CD for the MP3 player I have my files on - I thought I'd thrown it out, but it was, obviously, in a drawer with my walking/camping gear. Obviously.

After a longish day on the hill, though, I don't fancy messing about with it tonight, so I'll sort myself out tomorrow and figure out what's going on with the UK.

Sunday, July 15th 2007, 11:52pm

So you have your data neatly stashed away from the Blue screen of deaths designs?

Monday, July 16th 2007, 5:04pm

Quoted

Originally posted by thesmilingassassin
So you have your data neatly stashed away from the Blue screen of deaths designs?

Only 10 months out of date...