You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Thursday, November 16th 2006, 8:26pm

Marketing brochure for Normandie's maiden voyage

Cross the Atlantic with unprecedented speed, comfort and safety!

Normandie will undertake her maiden voyage on 29 May 1934. Tickets for this historic event are available now! Be among the select few who will enjoy the memories of this cruise for a lifetime.

{additional marketing boilerplate targeted at the super-rich skipped}

Among her features are:

Unprecedented engine power and range at speed. The Blue Riband will be ours!

Unprecedented safety. Normandie's collision avoidance system will inform her Master of all objects in her vicinity, at all times and in all weather.

Normandie's unique anti-iceberg protection system renders her immune to collision.

OOC technical background:

In 1927, French engineers Camille Gutton and Pierret experimented with wavelengths going down to 16 cm. Other engineers, Mesny and David, noticed repeatedly since 1931 that an aircraft flying between a transmitter and a receiver would disturb a radio communication. This was the basis of a device put into operational use in 1935 by the Compagnie Générale de Télégraphie Sans Fil (CSF) to detect airplanes flying over a given zone.

In 1934, Henri Gutton (the son of the former, and engineer of the CSF) resumed his father's experiments after initial reports made by the U.S. Naval Research Laboratory in 1930 (see above) and brought improvements to the magnetron. Emile Girardeau [1], at the head of the CSF, recalled in a testimony that they were at the time intending to build radar systems "conceived according to the principles stated by Tesla". The CSF received the French patent (no. 788.795, "New system of location of obstacles and its applications") on July 20 1934, for a device detecting obstacles (icebergs, ships, planes) using pulses of ultra-short wavelengths produced by a magnetron. This is the first patent of an operational radar using centimetric wavelengths. The radar was tested from November to December 1934 aboard cargo ship Oregon, with two transmitters working at 80 cm and 16 cm wavelengths. Coasts were detected from a range of 10-12 nautical miles. The shortest wavelength was chosen for the final design, which equipped the liner Normandie as soon as mid-1935 for operational use.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_radar

Okay, so its introduced on Normandie a year early.

Then again, so is Normandie...

Thursday, November 16th 2006, 9:53pm

[SIZE=1]Coming soon (April, 1935...)[/SIZE]

Thursday, November 16th 2006, 11:16pm

Time to dust off the Super-Queens. Even though they'll take a while, they'll be impressive enough...

Friday, November 17th 2006, 12:31am

Quoted

Normandie's unique anti-iceberg protection system renders her immune to collision.

Lookout: "Capt'n theres a big white thing in front of us!"

Captain: "Its either an Iceberg or the Isle of White. We're screwed in both cases. Hard to starboard."

*Sound of Normandie running aground into HMS Dolphin*

Friday, November 17th 2006, 12:55am

Quoted

Originally posted by RLBH
Time to dust off the Super-Queens. Even though they'll take a while, they'll be impressive enough...

aww, don't ruin my fun. Oceanic is psuedo-british... <<

ps: Also, as I recall, you already have QM building.

Friday, November 17th 2006, 1:16am

reminds me of...

"This is the Captain of the USS Nimitz, I have a full Carrier Battle Group behind me, recomend you change course by 15 degrees."

"We are a lighthouse, your call."

I think thats how it went.

Australia will soon have this: http://img359.imageshack.us/img359/5152/mail1carrier1sf.jpg baby in service.

Friday, November 17th 2006, 2:03am

Quoted

Originally posted by ShinRa_Inc

Quoted

aww, don't ruin my fun. Oceanic is psuedo-british... <<

I do?

Anyway, where's the fun in Oceanic's diesels. In spite of all the advantages of diesel, I much prefer steam.

Friday, November 17th 2006, 5:02am

Hmmm...time to contemplate a new big sister for Columbia and Liberty...where were those passenger accomidations tonnage rules again? :)

Friday, November 17th 2006, 5:13am

Quoted

Quoted

Originally posted by ShinRa_Inc

I do?

Anyway, where's the fun in Oceanic's diesels. In spite of all the advantages of diesel, I much prefer steam.

http://wesworld.jk-clan.de/thread.php?bo…d=2745&page=1#9

My Oceanic is based off the historical 'Never Were' Oceanic, which was a Diesel design. If it makes you feel any better, the long delay in getting Oceanic built was because of 'disagreements' between White Star and Harland & Wolff; H&W wanted conventional steam, White Star wanted Diesels. (historically, the delay is the reason Oceanic wasn't built, whereas the Queens were)

btw, Canis, can you reup your Columbia and Libery pics? The old ones are down.

Friday, November 17th 2006, 5:42am

Fixed it.

Friday, November 17th 2006, 7:44am

Where? o.O

Friday, November 17th 2006, 8:01am

Friday, November 17th 2006, 8:37am

Hmmmm, the Liner Nordmark will have to work hard to make money on part of her run, but then I also don't see any liners making rapid dashes to the SAE from Europe so we might be onto a winner.

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Friday, November 17th 2006, 9:58am

Quoted

Originally posted by Earl822
Hmmmm, the Liner Nordmark will have to work hard to make money on part of her run, but then I also don't see any liners making rapid dashes to the SAE from Europe so we might be onto a winner.

I also think the shared liner service Nordmark and the SAE agreed on in the 20s will get us more money in the long run than some super-liners. You need a reliable yet cost effective system of mail and passenger transportation, methinks, and that´s what we have (even though we haven´t worked on the story line for long).

Friday, November 17th 2006, 10:08am

Heck, Atlantis is on the way too, we could start out own North-South run for liners and have a freindly competition for a new riband.

Friday, November 17th 2006, 11:18am

We have the Blue Riband for the East-West/West-East routes so how about the Red Riband for the North-South/South-North routes.
*points at Wes's red Atlantean Banner*

Friday, November 17th 2006, 11:21am

Heh, Red was the first colour to come to my mind as well.

The Red Riband route would have two options.

Option one: Captown to Bergen via west African coast, this route would be the most dirrect allhough it may be limited by both seaonal Harmattan winds that kick up dust storms for miles out to sea and Cyclones developing into full blown Hurricanes on their way to the Caribbean.

Option two: Capetown to Bergen via mid Atlantic route, skirting round the Atlantean west coast, most dirrect route but likely the longest yet safest as most cyclones would die out hitting the Southern tip of Atlantis.

Another profitable set of routes, at least for Atlantis would be Capetown to Cleito and Palinerus to Bergen or Brest, France ect. A nice scenic train trip could link travelers to each cruise route.