You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Monday, March 27th 2006, 10:12pm

Whatever happened to the Goeben refit?

Just a question from an interested observer - what did happen to it? Was the idea shelved? I love the look of Osmanieh but it's be great to see Goeben/Yavuz Sultan Selim last as long in service to Turkey as it did in real life. :)

Edit: and by refit, I meant complete rebuilt.

Monday, March 27th 2006, 10:53pm

It hasn't been ordered yet, but there have been some discussions about such a rebuild between Turkey and Germany.

Tuesday, March 28th 2006, 3:06am

I see.. interesting. Thanks.

Tuesday, March 28th 2006, 6:52am

I can confirm what Hrolf said. I'd like very much to give her a rebuild giving her some more sheer forward and sprucing up her superstructure somewhat.

The only thing still to be worked out is where to put her secondary's, with the lack of deck space and conflicting firing arcs its difficult. I've even considered double casemates as in the Graf Zeppelin.

Right now her rebuild is being put on hold till the Osmanieh is completed along with a few other projects in between as well.

Tuesday, March 28th 2006, 7:08am

I don't know. If the Greeks have their way, she won't last until 1940 must less 1970.

Tuesday, March 28th 2006, 7:24am

Osmanieh will be done long before the feared collapse of the treaty.

Tuesday, March 28th 2006, 8:09am

Over on Marinearchiv.de there was a extensive rebild of Yavuz.
It had 9 280mm in 3 triples at 28+ kt.
A powerfull ship

Tuesday, March 28th 2006, 12:15pm

That extensive a re-build probably wouldn't be cost-effective in WesWorld, that would require changing the barbettes (unless you mounted the triple turrets on twin barbettes, which would be BAD for rate of fire). But if changing barbettes was a bit cheaper, yeah, it could probably be done.

Sunday, April 16th 2006, 12:15am

Heres an idea I came up with to include some decent secondary's into the Yavuz rebuild...

I'm wondering if I can mount the starboard side 5.9" guns further back....over the turbines.

Sunday, April 16th 2006, 9:49pm

What caliber of guns are installed in the new secondary turrets?
If they are still 5.9" - the turrets/deck space would seem to be very crowded. Maybe twin 5.9" would be a better choice.
Are you going to make any changes to the main battery - for example increasing the elevation/range capabilities?

Would it be better to use DP guns for the new secondary battery since there isn't a lot of deck space for new AA guns (4.1 or 3.46 to complement the secondary 5.9" guns)

Sunday, April 16th 2006, 9:50pm

I like it, but I don't know enough about the technical side to make comments in that area, like Mr Stauffer :)

Won't the secondaries prevent cross-deck firing though?

Sunday, April 16th 2006, 10:07pm

I'm basically giving up on cross deck firing but if shes going to be refitted by the Germans changing the elevation of the main guns would seem prudent.

As for the secondarys she already has 12x88mm and yes they are 5.9" allthough I think twins would make for a poor secondary broadside.

I am thinking about some sort of DP mount but either way I think she will still be abit crowded.