You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Tuesday, April 26th 2005, 11:07pm

Paris Post - 10 May 1927

An extraordinary crowd gathered today outside the Chamber of Deputies. While its size was not unprecedented, about 80,000, the discipline and military bearing of the assembled men was. This demonstration was organized by the Croix de feu, an organization of veterans which first appeared two years ago, which has obviously been successful in growing strong, both numerically and organizationally. They stand silently in precise ranks, every tenth man holding either a French flag or a sign, on which is printed a single word: Revanche!

Among the police assembled to ensure public order, there are expressions of admiration, both for the conspicuous military bearing the men of the Croix de feu show, and for the substance of their message.

This, among other indications, show that the present government have real cause for concern over their prospects in the upcoming Parliamentary elections.

Wednesday, April 27th 2005, 12:49pm

Croix de Feu... they weren't holding up a burning cross? (I know that the KKK tends to do that, but I doubt that the French in the late 1920 have any idea what the KKK is all about)

Thursday, April 28th 2005, 10:32pm

The interwar French Right

Quoted

Croix de Feu... they weren't holding up a burning cross?

The Croix de feu was a historical French veteran's organization, financed by several major French industrialists, that actually attempted a coup on 6 March 1934. And Action Francaise was an actual publication, edited by the rabid Monarchist Charles Maurras, who collaborated extensively with the Vichy regime. He was arrested in 1944, and sentenced to life imprisonment. He was reprieved in 1951, and died in 1952.

Friday, April 29th 2005, 5:00pm

You and Swampy are laying down a fine story so far. It's not going how I thought it might at first (that is to say, Filipinos prematurely seek to avenge themselves), though I suppose it could still happen.

I do appreciate your use of historical fact here, Admiral.

Saturday, April 30th 2005, 1:17am

Very interesting story indeed......

As an ally of the French and Russians, Atlantis is no doubt paying close attention.