You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Saturday, April 23rd 2005, 3:13am

Chile Q2/1927

Chilean Naval Construction
1927 Second Quarter Report
April 1 - June 30, 1927

A. Factories

7/7 factories = 7,000t of material + 0t stockpiled + = 7,000t available (94 tons from scrap for Q3/1927 + 94 tons from scrap for Q4/1927 + 94 tons from scrap for Q1/1928)
2,495t are used, and 4,505t transferred, leaving a stockpile of 0t.

0/7 factories (committed) = 0.0 infrastructure pts
0/7 factories (flexible) = 0.0 pts = 0.0 pts available

B. Infrastructure Development

None

C. Naval Development and Construction

at Talcahuano:
S3: Construction continues on Armoured Cruiser Capitan Tylor (1,000 tons delivered) 16,632 needed, will require 769 days to complete (finishes late during Q1/1928) - 9,167 tons remaining to complete.
S2: Laid down the new "Light" Cruiser Picunches (495 tons delivered) 9,747 needed, will require 563 days to complete (finishes during Q1/1929) - 9,252 tons remaining to complete.
S1: idle
D3: idle
D2: idle
D2: idle
D0: Scrapping of old destroyer Capitan Merino Jarpa (47 tons of material recovered for use in Q1/1928)

at Valparaiso:
D1: Reconstruction of light cruiser Guardia Marina Hyatt to a floatplane cruiser (1,000 tons delivered) 3,366 tons originally needed, will require 371 days to complete (finishes during Q1/1928) -1,121 tons remaining to complete.

at Mejillones:
S0: idle
S0: idle
D0: Scrapping of old destroyer Capitan O'Brien (47 tons recovered for use in Q1/1928)

Commericial shipyards:
idle

D. Transactions

Deal made to purchase a pair of floatplane carriers and 12 subchasers from Atlantis. Delivery of items:
AV-3 Lautaro (ex-Mindelo)= delivered
SC 7-12 = Q3/1927
675 tons of material transfered to Atlantis for final payment.

Second deal with Atlantis for a trio of "light cruisers" with the potential for a pair of "heavy cruisers" based on the same hull. 1,830 tons of material transfered to Atlantis for the laying down of "light cruiser" (CL-6). Second "light cruiser" will be built locally. Third will be built in Atlantis. Should the "heavy cruisers" come about, the first will be built in Atlantis, the second in Chile.
1,830 tons of material transfered to Altantis for third playment on first cruiser (3 of 6 + 500 tons) - to be delivered in Q3/1928.

Construction of American built Coastal Defense Battleship to begin in Q1/1927 at 2,000 tons per quarter until Q4/1928. Vessel currently called Almirante Gideon.
2,000 tons of material transfered to the United States, (2 of 8) - Ship to be delivered early in Q1/1929.

E. Other Notes

CL-4 Marina Guardia Hyatt under reconstruction into a floatplane cruiser.

CL-7 "Light" Cruiser Picunches laid down. This is the second ship of the Atlantean design.

Collier Araucano working up.

Light Destroyers DL-3 Teniente Aldea and DL-4 Teniente Serrano begin working up.

Old Destroyers Capitan O'Brien and Capitan Merino Jarpa have been removed from the naval list and scrapped.

Old Destroyer Capitan Thompson has be regulated to training duty. She will likely be either broken up or used as a target within the next two years.

F. Updated Order of Battle, June 30, 1927

Note: X(Y)+Z = completed (under repair/refit) + under construction (...by a foreign power)

Dreadnought Battleships------2(0)+0
Predreadnoughts----------------2(0)+0
Coast Defense Ships-----------1(0)+0(1)
Armoured Cruisers--------------2(0)+1
Light Cruisers--------------------3(0)+1(1)
Protected Cruisers--------------4(0)+0
Floatplane Cruisers-------------0(1)+0
Destroyers------------------------8(0)+0 {1,200 tons std and up}
Destroyers (old)-----------------1(0)+0 {under 1,200 tons std: old}
Light Destroyers-----------------4(0)+0 {under 1,200 tons std: new}
Submarines-----------------------6(0)+0
Floatplane Carriers--------------2(0)+0
Subchasers------------------------6(0)+0
Colliers-----------------------------2(0)+0
Sail Training Sloop---------------1(0)+0
Transports-------------------------2(0)+0

-Emergency Use-
Patrol Boats---------11(0)+0
Transports-----------12(0)+0
Museum Ships--------1(0)+0

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Saturday, April 23rd 2005, 10:44am

BUsy, really busy your factories are... :o) That´s a lot of stuff coming soon to boost your navy, isn´t it?

Saturday, April 23rd 2005, 10:54am

He's not the only one.

Saturday, April 23rd 2005, 11:10am

I don't think its alot, he's only building 1 Monitor, 1 AC and 2 CL, two of those being foriegn builds and the AC has been building for some time. Chile is buying more used ships than building I think, 2 Float plane carriers and 12 subchasers from Atlantis.

Saturday, April 23rd 2005, 12:51pm

18 ships is quite a few for a navy of that size. About 36% is for national constructions. The remaining 64% is for transfer.

Saturday, April 23rd 2005, 12:59pm

Quoted

18 ships is quite a few for a navy of that size. About 36% is for national constructions. The remaining 64% is for transfer.

18 ships is miss-leading though, I doubt 12 subchasers will ruin a BB's day let alone a DD.

The problem is if your not upgrading your slips/drydocks your factory's have to find another use. Small navy's can't afford to simply "loose" materials.

Saturday, April 23rd 2005, 1:20pm

Quoted

18 ships is miss-leading though, I doubt 12 subchasers will ruin a BB's day let alone a DD.

I doubt Subchaser's duties include engaging surface warships. Subchasers are there to ruin a Submarine's day.

Quoted

The problem is if your not upgrading your slips/drydocks your factory's have to find another use. Small navy's can't afford to simply "loose" materials.

There is always room for upgrades or new infrastructure construction. That is why planning ahead is important. You might run in some construction troubles if you do not do that.

Saturday, April 23rd 2005, 5:01pm

Unfortunately I can't really spend the resources on infrastructure upgrades, as this time, as I have a lot of old cruisers and battleship that need to be replaced in the next five sim years, All are nearly 30 years old or older. Most could not handle a modern heavy cruiser, or light cruiser in some cases. And the old Prat is just way too old now. She was laid down in 1883. I am debating with myself what to do with the two predreadnoughts. They are not exactly the best battleships in the world, and there main guns are a bit lacking in terms of size. But at the time they were build, they had the firepower of some nations battleships plus the firepower of an armored cruiser or two in those secondaries. Any suggestions on that issue?

The subchasers, in this case, are going to be used for coastal patrols to free up the destroyers...and allow the old ones to be scrapped. I'm not sure if you've noted that I've removed 6 destroyers from my fleet in the last three quarters, and the seventh is going to be a training ship, and eventual target instead of scrapped. This is because I think mmy new floatplane carriers' pilots will need practice in finding and attacking targets at sea. I might regulate a submarine to assist in this duty as well.

Also the upgrade I'd want is more factories, but I'm told it is not cost effective, and at the rate I could build one, and maintian the construction I have in progress, it would take 10 years. If I skip the dreadnought construction, or delay it, I might be able to build an 8th factory it in 5 years, and still be able to maintain the fleet. (I can't do much better than that as the maximum you can put into a project per quarter is 0.5 IP, so five factories total...I could do so, maybe in the 30s, but it might just be too late by then).

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Saturday, April 23rd 2005, 5:30pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Rooijen10
There is always room for upgrades or new infrastructure construction. That is why planning ahead is important. You might run in some construction troubles if you do not do that.

Absolutely.

Saturday, April 23rd 2005, 7:59pm

Quoted

Unfortunately I can't really spend the resources on infrastructure upgrades, as this time, as I have a lot of old cruisers and battleship that need to be replaced in the next five sim years, All are nearly 30 years old or older.

I don't have the problem of having ships that are too old (exception being the Mikasa). Unfortunately I have quite a few ships to build to get myself up to my CT tonnage limitations. If all goes according to plan, I expect me to get there in 1935. In the mean time, all my available factories will be spitting out tons and tons and tons of warship materials. Roughly 0.5 tons of warship materials per minute is being produced by Japan's 27 factories with the factories operating about 10 hours a day.
Single factory output: about 691 pounds of warship materials per second.

Quoted

I am debating with myself what to do with the two predreadnoughts. They are not exactly the best battleships in the world, and there main guns are a bit lacking in terms of size. But at the time they were build, they had the firepower of some nations battleships plus the firepower of an armored cruiser or two in those secondaries. Any suggestions on that issue?

They belong in a museum!

Saturday, April 23rd 2005, 8:15pm

Ah, they're "light" cruisers, rather than light cruisers. That explains how a heavy cruiser variant is possible. Any chance we may see stats for them at some point?

Quoted

I am debating with myself what to do with the two predreadnoughts. They are not exactly the best battleships in the world, and there main guns are a bit lacking in terms of size. But at the time they were build, they had the firepower of some nations battleships plus the firepower of an armored cruiser or two in those secondaries. Any suggestions on that issue?

Sell 'em to the Filipino Warship Disposal Company. They'll blow 'em real good for ya.

Saturday, April 23rd 2005, 8:30pm

Quoted

Sell 'em to the Filipino Warship Disposal Company. They'll blow 'em real good for ya.

I agree. Unfortunately you will not receive any materials from them like scrapping.

Saturday, April 23rd 2005, 9:24pm

True, you'd only get entertainment value out of them.

More seriously, I'd suggest a couple of options beyond simply scrapping them:

-Converting one to a training ship, if you don't have anything newer already in that function.

-Conversion to a tender/repair ship/base ship

-Or you could be the first person to attempt this notion of turning PDs into all-in-one amphibious warfare ships.

Saturday, April 23rd 2005, 10:21pm

Quoted

-Or you could be the first person to attempt this notion of turning PDs into all-in-one amphibious warfare ships.

Amphibious warfare ship turns up off lightly defended beach, pummels the defending ground forces. Is attacked by a sole fast attack boat which puts one 450mm torpedo into her. She promtly sinks, but carries on pummeling the shore defenses. A quite expensive weapon system.

Seriously, pre-dreads had no TDS and are more or less impossible to retrofit one to. Look at KuK Wien in WWI.

Saturday, April 23rd 2005, 10:36pm

I didn't say it was a good idea, only an idea. Ithekro likes to try different things, this could be up his alley.

Saturday, April 23rd 2005, 11:49pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Rooijen10
I doubt Subchaser's duties include engaging surface warships. Subchasers are there to ruin a Submarine's day.

My subchasers double as patrol boats, with the capability's to take on subs. The SC type 1 class Subchaser built in 1917 has an armament of Armament:1x3", 1x1.57" and 2x1" in addition to its limited depth charge load, all on a 106 ton hull capable of a speed of 18 knots, more than enough to keep pace with a sub on the surface in addition to most merchant vessels. Given the ships versatility its ideal for Chilean coastal patroling.

Quoted

The Philipines is currently building a comparable amount of vessels in thier own yards, I don't see why Chile can't build a similar number with foriegn assistance. Given the planning I've seen from Ithekro, I have a very good Idea what amount of materials I will recieve from Chile, so the planning is definately there.

Quoted

Ah, they're "light" cruisers, rather than light cruisers. That explains how a heavy cruiser variant is possible. Any chance we may see stats for them at some point?

I often wonder about other designs from CT signatory nations myself, the possibility of upgunning is definately there on some designs, espeacially the ones mounting quads. Chile not being bound to the CT can preaty much build what it likes within reason and baring serious political complications.

Personally a standard hull makes the best use of limited Chilean yards, eventually Chile will want to shy away from foreign builds and strike its own cord.

Sunday, April 24th 2005, 12:29am

Those DD's your scrapping are only giving 47 tons of usuable materiel afterwards?????????

WHY BOTHER!!!!!
Use them for target practice!

Sunday, April 24th 2005, 12:32am

Every ton is precious!!!
Why waste it???

Sunday, April 24th 2005, 12:38am

Ok, I agree tonnage is precious for us smaller nations, but to tie up a drydock (possible slip) for x months to get 47 tons???

A bit of tweaking of any design over 1200 tons will save 47 tons, so is it that precious really????

Sunday, April 24th 2005, 12:49am

He has enough docks and slips left so that shouldn't be a problem, especially if he has planned everything.