You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Thursday, November 21st 2013, 6:06pm

Hmmm... I wonder if I should send Manzo as Marathon runner. :)

Friday, December 6th 2013, 4:46pm

The 1948 Games

Before this subject passes too far from our minds, I would like to speak to the issue of the 1948 Games.

I think I can develop a system to more adequately address the question of distribution of medals, given sufficient lead time. I would therefore propose that the Philippines host the 1948 Summer Games or Yugoslavia the 1948 Winter Games.

I would ask potential participating nations to consider (a) if they will participate and (b) what specific sports their team would participate it. Unless told otherwise, my default assumption would be that all nations participate and all teams participate in all sports. However, any lessening of the burden of calculating results would make the job easier.

Saturday, December 7th 2013, 3:53pm

No objection to you hosting either of the games.

Iberia would participate in the games, although I don't expect much out of the winter games.

Bharat, Persia, and Hedjaz will not be participating in the games.

Saturday, December 7th 2013, 4:39pm

Any reason as to why they won't be participating?

Japan would be there. I might send a few more athletes and teams, even if they end up being used as cannon fodder for the big teams.

Saturday, December 7th 2013, 4:50pm

They've been in a somewhat isolationist mood since the change in government. That extends to international sporting events.

Friday, August 25th 2017, 8:26pm

While composing my French Q1 news, I noticed that 1948 is another Olympic year - and a quick search of posts revealed Bruce's suggestion above.

Not sure if we want to do anything about it or not. Any comments?

Friday, August 25th 2017, 8:55pm

If there is sufficient interest I am happy to run either or both sets of games in the proposed venues.

Saturday, August 26th 2017, 4:06am

I'm planning to, at least, note France's participation in both Winter and Summer Games. So whether someone does a writeup of them or not, I want to decide on the venues.

Saturday, August 26th 2017, 11:20am

The Philippines feels an odd choice for 1948, its still a relatively poor nation and would need a lot of infrastructure investment, what about Germany instead and keeping Yugoslavia for the winter games?
If Bruce thinks the Philippines are better as a choice then I won't object.
As for my teams, just use historical sportsmen and women who comprised the RL teams from Argentina, Belgium, Netherlands and Great Britain.

Saturday, August 26th 2017, 12:43pm

Hood writes,

Quoted

The Philippines feels an odd choice for 1948, its still a relatively poor nation and would need a lot of infrastructure investment, what about Germany instead and keeping Yugoslavia for the winter games?

I have no problem with Germany hosting the summer games; it might make them more attractive to prospective participants. I hope we can come to a quick consensus on this as summer of '48 is not that far off, game-wise.

Saturday, August 26th 2017, 9:07pm

The Winter Olympics would've taken place in Q1, so at least half of us have already passed the date for that.

Can I propose that:
- Germany gets the summer games for Q3/1948.
- Full Winter Olympics are offset to 1950 - venue to be decided.

This way Bruce doesn't necessarily get slammed with two major Olympics writeups. If we still want to run a winter olympics in Q1/48, maybe make it a smaller one (in light of a two-year gap until the next), and let Yugoslavia have it?

Saturday, August 26th 2017, 9:21pm

The Winter Olympics would've taken place in Q1, so at least half of us have already passed the date for that.

Can I propose that:
- Germany gets the summer games for Q3/1948.
- Full Winter Olympics are offset to 1950 - venue to be decided.

This way Bruce doesn't necessarily get slammed with two major Olympics writeups. If we still want to run a winter olympics in Q1/48, maybe make it a smaller one (in light of a two-year gap until the next), and let Yugoslavia have it?

I did not realize that the ideal timeframe for the winter Olympics had passed. Looking at the events in the RW 48 Olympics there's quite a gap between the four sports of the winter games and the far more numerous sports of the summer games. How about I do the coverage of just the summer games. If we want to do a winter games in say 1950 (anticipating the RW future), I can see how well my ideas on scoring pan out.

Sunday, August 27th 2017, 10:33am

That sounds like a plan.

Monday, August 28th 2017, 8:57am

I'm curious to see it :)

Monday, August 28th 2017, 1:14pm

I'm curious to see it :)

Will China participate?

Monday, August 28th 2017, 1:40pm

In the Winter Games i see problems ... but Summer Athletics won't be a problem in my eyes or ?

Monday, August 28th 2017, 1:50pm

In the Winter Games i see problems ... but Summer Athletics won't be a problem in my eyes or ?

Good! I will include China in the list of participants in the 1948 summer games. Details of the proposal will be forthcoming.

If your nation is participating, please let me know as soon as possible.

Monday, August 28th 2017, 3:22pm

So maybe a list of the summer events will help. So far as I can determine, these are the events from the 1948 London Olympics (IRL), and the one I remember Hood added for the WWTL '44 Olympics.

Quoted

Aquatics (Diving, Swimming, Water Polo)
Athletics
Basketball
Boxing
Canoeing
Cycling (Road, Track)
Equestrian (Dressage, Eventing, Show jumping)
Fencing
Field Hockey
Football
Gymnastics
Modern Pentathlon
Rowing
Sailing
Shooting
Weightlifting
Wrestling

Gliding: demonstration sport in the 1936 games in Germany, was repeated in WW 1944 games in London (maybe also 1940 games?)
Lacross: demonstration sport in the 1944 games in London

France will send participants for every event (including Lacross, if it's included).
Russia will send participants for every event except basketball and lacross.
Bulgaria will send participants for athletics, boxing, cycling, equestrian, fencing, football, gymnastics (women only), shooting, and weightlifting.
Chile will send participants for athletics, canoeing, equestrian, fencing, football, pentathlon, rowing, sailing, shooting, and most especially gliding.
Ireland will send participants for boxing, cycling, fencing, equestrian, rowing, and sailing.
Azerbaijan will send participants for wrestling only.
Armenia will send participants for athletics and weightlifting.
Latvia will send participants for athletics, aquatics (water polo only), basketball, and modern pentathlon.
Lithuania will send participants for athletics, cycling, equestrian, shooting, and weightlifting.

Recommend that:
- the USA and Nordmark, although apparently NPC at the moment, send a full bevy of teams.
- Poland send some teams (probably athletics, equestrians, and gymnastics)
- NPC Greece should send teams

Monday, August 28th 2017, 3:41pm

I'm already working on the list of events, leaning heavily on the historical 1948 record. I will post a list when I have sussed everything else out.

Unless someone tells me otherwise, I am presuming that all our current NPCs will field teams in the events that they historically did; results, however, may not be exactly as historical. I am more concerned about the PC nations. As for India and Persia, per Rocky's previous comment, they will not be participating, though Iberia will. If that's changed, please let me know. The other major question is South Africa. Should I include them?

Monday, August 28th 2017, 4:04pm

I have sporadic contact with Stephan, so I would say that SAE of course also sends athletes to the Olympic games.