You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Sunday, July 2nd 2017, 1:40am

A Question of Images

Just because I am paranoid, can anyone else see any of the many images I've posted in various places, like our encyclopedia? I understand that Photobucket has been mucking about with what they call "third-party" linking. I can see what I've uploaded, because the links go back to my own Photobucket account. But I have noted the problem with other folks images (hey Walter!). So, if anyone can, or cannot, see any image I've uploaded, would you please let me know one way or another?

Thanks.

Sunday, July 2nd 2017, 2:13am

...no, no problems for me.

I'm curious, since I've had to switch over my image-hosting to Photobucket (stupid Dropbox!)

Sunday, July 2nd 2017, 2:35am

...no, no problems for me.

I'm curious, since I've had to switch over my image-hosting to Photobucket (stupid Dropbox!)

Thanks for the reassurance. :D

I am not entirely certain what this "third party linking" is supposed to be about. I first heard about in a post by Colo over on Shipbucket; earlier today I checked here and some of Walter's stuff (I was reading the Belgian news) had been replaced with a warning image. It looks as if Photobucket has changed their terms of service and are perhaps trying to shake the pagoda tree.

Sunday, July 2nd 2017, 3:43am

Well, I was thinking about making a post yesterday named "Photobucket has outlived its usefulness" but in the end I decided not to bother with it. Actually it pretty much did so when it started to shrink down the bigger images I uploaded during the upload process and thus making a bit of a mess of the bigger Shipbucket images at which point I decided to give Dropbox a try.

I wonder who the idiot is over at Photobucket who thinks that the people who use their site are stupid enough to pay them $400 a year to be able to show their images on other sites. Granted there may be a few out there who would, but I think that the vast majority of people will abandon the sinking ship that is RMS Photobucket. Maybe they will realize their stupidity in time and reverse it... but somehow I doubt it.

Quoted

earlier today I checked here and some of Walter's stuff (I was reading the Belgian news) had been replaced with a warning image

Yeah. I am aware of my images being like that (at least my Photobucket images; the Dropbox ones should still be okay for now). I also noticed that your images were still up. It may be because you have a different type of account.

For you it will be a bit more of a hassle if something happens since you have various news articles that are images.

I am currently looking at the many "friendly" remarks here regarding the situation. :)
http://blog.photobucket.com/status/

Sunday, July 2nd 2017, 8:38am

All my stuff is on Photo bucket, so far no problems.

Sunday, July 2nd 2017, 10:53am

It looks like all my Photobucket images are now gone, oddly over at Shipbucket yesterday they seemed ok.
I stopped using Photobucket earlier this year when the resizing started. The whole thing is really a pile of shite.
I don't know if I'll bother fixing all the images with new links etc., doesn't really seem worth the bother unless its something important.

Dropbox I believe can still be used to publicly host if you already have a work-around in place, though I guess in time that loophole will be plugged.

Sunday, July 2nd 2017, 1:15pm

Quoted

It looks like all my Photobucket images are now gone, oddly over at Shipbucket yesterday they seemed ok.

They are still there, just no longer visible outside Photobucket. Oddly enough when I just looked, I was logged out while usually when I get back, I am still logged in... so for a few seconds I was worried...

Quoted

I stopped using Photobucket earlier this year when the resizing started. The whole thing is really a pile of shite.

It was still usable for small stuff, but now it has become completely useless.

Quoted

I don't know if I'll bother fixing all the images with new links etc., doesn't really seem worth the bother unless its something important.

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe I will look into some of the encyclopedia things, maybe not.

Quoted

Dropbox I believe can still be used to publicly host if you already have a work-around in place, though I guess in time that loophole will be plugged.

I believe so, too. For the time being, I will be using that one for as long as it's possible.

Sunday, July 2nd 2017, 1:48pm

http://wesworld.jk-clan.de/index.php?pag…8602#post118602
Hmmm... that is interesting. When I looked here, the one Photobucket image is visible and the other isn't... Having messed around a bit, the one that was not visible is now visible again... to me at least. Not sure if the others can as well...

Sunday, July 2nd 2017, 6:57pm

http://wesworld.jk-clan.de/index.php?pag…8602#post118602
Hmmm... that is interesting. When I looked here, the one Photobucket image is visible and the other isn't... Having messed around a bit, the one that was not visible is now visible again... to me at least. Not sure if the others can as well...

FWIW, I can see some of the images on that page, but not others. Odd that.

Sunday, July 2nd 2017, 10:08pm

How about now? I made a minute address change to those images and I can see all images in that thread now.

Sunday, July 2nd 2017, 10:38pm

I can now see them all as well.

Monday, July 3rd 2017, 12:32am

Okay... so for this one...

... I use the address "http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg240/WvRooijen/Wesworld/nipponexpress-1.png" to create the image and I get the Ripoffbucket Photobucket upgrade image...

... and with this one...

... I use the address "http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg240/WvRooijen/Wesworld/nipponexpress-1.png~original" to create the image and I get an image.

I also get the impression that my older images are the ones that have been replaced with that PB upgrade image while the fairly recent uploaded ones still show (like the image of the new Japanese rifle or the one of the G10N cargo version for the Red Cross).

So as far as I can see, the new images still show up on the board with no problems while adding that small "~original" extension to the addresses of the older images will show them as well...

... at least for now...

Monday, July 3rd 2017, 2:35pm

Quoted

I believe so, too. For the time being, I will be using that one for as long as it's possible.

How are you getting Dropbox to host your images? Their changes a few months back went and broke all of my image links and it looks like they've done almost the same sort of thing Photobucket's done. So I'd actually started using Photobucket, probably less than a month or so ago, in order to keep hosting images...

Bleh. I shouldn't have stopped paying for my website hosting.

Monday, July 3rd 2017, 4:48pm

A Dropbox work-around can be found here: http://www.shipbucket.com/forums/viewtop…tart=10#p167357

Monday, July 3rd 2017, 5:18pm

Oh, that's nice... if somewhat irritating to have to constantly do...

I'd have preferred to keep using Dropbox, because it made things really quite convenient for me - much more so than Photobucket, and somewhat better than when I had my own filehost. (Sounds like I ought to return to that, though.)

In case this hasn't made the case for it already, I'd like to encourage everyone to consider what kind of images they post. If you can enter the text directly to the forum rather than uploading a picture that might eventually get broken in a year or so, it's worth the effort. If it's worth posting, then consider whether or not someone two or three years from now will still be able to view it!

Monday, July 3rd 2017, 5:30pm

Quoted

if somewhat irritating to have to constantly do

I think it is just a minor inconvenience. It works (for now) and that is good enough (for now). :)

Tuesday, July 4th 2017, 2:59am

<snip>

In case this hasn't made the case for it already, I'd like to encourage everyone to consider what kind of images they post. If you can enter the text directly to the forum rather than uploading a picture that might eventually get broken in a year or so, it's worth the effort. If it's worth posting, then consider whether or not someone two or three years from now will still be able to view it!

This is a good point; while I have always subscribed to the theory that one picture is worth a thousand words, the potential problem of non-linkage is causing me to rethink things.

As an aside, I have picked up listening to classic radio shows on the car stereo; lots of inspiration for what can be conveyed by words rather than pictures.

Wednesday, July 12th 2017, 5:45pm

Looks like they disabled some things so the pics no longer work with the trick. Therefore Photobucket has now truly become completely useless.

Thursday, July 13th 2017, 12:19am

Well, I guess it's time to figure out another way to host my images and get back to moving stuff over...

Thursday, July 13th 2017, 1:28am

Could someone explain to me exactly what Photobucket means by "Third Party Hosting"?