You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Tuesday, September 29th 2015, 4:06am

Meanwhile, in Russia: 1946

Changing the Guard in the Fleet
The covered ways at Baltic Shipyard No.189 saw the keel-laying of the new Project 80 light cruiser Rynda on January 1st. This new vessel is envisioned as the replacement of an elderly vessel of the same name, which has served with the Baltic Fleet as a squadron leader. Although small for a cruiser, the new Rynda shall assume certain flagship duties with the Baltic Fleet upon her commissioning, planned for sometime next year. Plans for a second Project 80 type cruiser are currently under discussion by the Duma.

In related news, rumors from the Admiralty Building indicate that the Navy Chief-of-Staff is strongly considering the possibility of paying off or mothballing the six lineships of the Sevastopol and Imperitritsa Maria classes, currently deployed on the Black Sea, in order to free manpower for the four new Rostislav class lineships.

Major Petrograd Elections Set for June
Citizens of the capital city of Petrograd shall vote this June on several measures of great importance to their city's future. A referendum to rename the city Sankt-Peterburg, as originally named by Tsar Peter the Great, is one of the more important, but the popular movement for the city's traditional name has been bitterly-contested by many locals. Another major referendum regards the proposed construction of a flood-control megastructure across the mouth of the Gulf of Finland, intended to prevent storm surges from reaching the city. If approved, this expensive project shall enter construction in late 1947.

Following Electricity Deregulation, Officials Arrested
Between February 21 and 24, three bureaucrats were arrested in separate incidents and charged with illegal behavior resulting from their conduct of duties in the now-deregulated electricity sector. Although Russian police have declined to comment specifically about the arrests due to 'ongoing investigations', leaks from within the Justice Ministry indicate the bureaucrats were engaged in embezzlement, extortion, cronyism, and bribery. President Fyodorov, in his remarks to the press on February 24, commented on the matter saying, "officials and bureaucrats who abuse the trust of the Russian people should beware; the wheels of justice may grind slowly, but they grind inexorably."

Angara Sails for Zemlya Frantsa-Iosifa
The VMF Rossii's icebreaker Angara has departed Arkangelsk bound for Zemlya Frantsa-Iosifa with a surveying party. The expedition shall plough their way through icy northern seas to arrive at the uninhabited archipelago, where the hundred and fifty men shall begin a detailed series of geographic exploration in preparation for the establishment of an airfield.

Maksimov to Visit Baku, Ganja in April
Minister of Foreign Affairs Andrey Maksimov will take an extended trip to visit Baku, the capital and chief city of the Federated Republic of Azerbaijan, followed by an international visit to Ganja, the capital of the Democratic Republic of Azerbaijan. The visit follows the increase of the "One Azerbaijan" movement on both sides of the border. It is believed that Minister Maksimov will begin discussions with senior officials in Baku and Ganja, although it remains to be seen what events may follow.

Tu-4K Reaches the Fleet
Sailors and officers of the Military-Maritime Fleet of the Russian Federation! In a flyby for the photographers of our national press, the naval aviators of the heavy aircraft cruiser Afonskoye triumphantly revealed their new Tupolev Tu-4Ks, the finest new ship-based strike aircraft now in service in the navies of the world!

Maksimov Visits Baku and Ganja, Proposes Azeri Unification
In conference with Azeri president Rasim Salayev in Ganja, Minister of Foreign Affairs Maksimov proposed a plan to unify the Federated Republic of Azerbaijan (part of the Russian Federation) with the Democratic Republic of Azerbaijan. The details of Minister Maksimov's plan have not been released to the press at the present time, although it is known that Minister Maksimov invited the Democratic Republic to vote to join the Federated Republic of Azerbaijan.

Petrograd Elections
A motion to change the city of Petrograd's name back to Sankt-Peterburg narrowly failed to pass in the May municipal elections, with approximately 53% of voters against the name change. Opponents of the change claimed that 'Sankt-Peterburg' sounded too German, while 'Petrograd' sounded more appropriately Russian. However, voters did approve an expensive flood-control dam designed to prevent catastrophic floods from damaging the city. Construction of the vast new structure will begin in 1947, with an expected completion date of 1958.

Richter, Losev Honored
President Fyodorov awarded the State Prize of the Russian Federation to virtuoso pianist Sviatoslav Richter for his contribution to the field of arts within the Russian Federation, while Oleg Losev was awarded in the field of science for his 1927 invention of the light-emitting diode.

Zenit Continues Deployment Abroad; Rostislav Nears Completion
The seaplane carrier Zenit, assigned to the Northern Fleet, has finished a stint in the French port of Brest where he underwent conversion into an experimental vessel. According to foreign sources, the Zenit has been converted to mount an experimental radio-detection and fire control system of French design. The conversion has been paid for by the French Navy, which lacked a suitable ship for the desired experimental purposes. With Zenit's conversion completed, he has joined the French Navy's Atlantic Fleet for three months while testing the new electronic systems.

Meanwhile, the fast lineship Rostislav is approaching completion at pierside in Petrograd. A spokesman for the VMF Rossii said that the new capital ship would be completed before October 1st of this year. Captain First Rank Vladimir Novikov, the current commander of the Black Sea Fleet lineship Poltava, has been appointed as his first commander. The remaining three ships in Rostislav's class - the Potemkin, Georgii Pobedonosets, and Retvizan - are also expected to complete before the end of the year. The Admiralty confirmed that crews for the four new vessels would be drawn from the two Sevastopol-class and four Imperitritsa Mariya-class vessels, strengthening rumors that these old warships may soon be retired.

Mariinsk Canal Reconstruction Completes
Reconstruction work completed in June on the Mariinsk Canal project. The reconstruction allows for a substantial increase in the size of maritime traffic upon this vital Russian internal waterway. Dredges deepened many key channels, and locks were rebuilt to accommodate vessels of nearly oceanic size.

Pioneering A New Age of Russian Aviation!
The prototype twin-engine jet fighter I-300 achieved its first flight on April 24th of this year, taking off from Ramenskoye airfield for a flight lasting six minutes. The I-300, designed by Armenian native Artem Mikoyan, is the first jet aircraft of solely Russian origin to fly, although several jets of German and French manufacture have previously been seen at Lipetsk and Ramenskoye. According to an official press report released the day after the flight, the I-300 prototype performed adequately, although certain technical issues were noted that shall require resolution.

In other news, Aeroflot accepted the new Beriev Be-4 flying boat for mail and passenger service in the Siberia and the Russian Far East. The new aircraft is powered by a pair of turboprop engines, operating on similar principles to the turbojet engine used by the I-300, developed by Tumansky and the French firm of Turbomeca. The successful creation and adoption of this engine demonstrates that the Russian Federation remains a noteworthy leader in the advancement of the cutting edge of aviation!

Tuesday, September 29th 2015, 2:49pm

== TOP SECRET ==
From [the Office of the President of the Russian Federation]
To [G. Zhukov, Chief of Staff Russian Ground Forces]; [V. Pershin, Chief Main Intelligence Directorate]
Effective [1 March 1946]

1. You are hereby directed to present to this office by June of this year an analysis regarding all intelligence, intentions, and capabilities regarding the Nordish atomic arms program for discussion by the Defense Council and the Presidium. Particular emphasis shall be placed upon strategic, operational and tactical concerns resulting from the possibility of Nordish use of atomic arms against Russian military forces or civilian targets.

2. You are hereby directed to compose or update all plans, files, or scenarios in order to advise the Defense Council and the Presidium regarding a national doctrine to actively encourage the termination of the Nordish atomic arms program using all necessary and applicable national-level assets, up to and including the preemptive use of military force.

3. You are hereby directed to consult upon the advisability of a program to design and acquire a deterent force of atomic arms under Russian control as part of the consideration of national political doctrine identified above.

4. Judicious consultations should be made with relevant and trustworthy senior personnel in French, German, Atlantean governments to ascertain the doctrinal and strategic thinking of Russian-allied powers.

Wednesday, September 30th 2015, 10:21am

Nordish atomic arms plan?
Did I miss a post somewhere? I don't remember this cropping up, unless SMERSH has ferreted out some tasty intel info?

Wednesday, September 30th 2015, 2:50pm

You're not checking the Nordish reports then? It's given there.

Wednesday, September 30th 2015, 3:05pm

You're not checking the Nordish reports then? It's given there.

That's correct.

(Also, the relevant intelligence agency would be the GRU, "Main Intelligence Directorate"; SMERSH has never actually been formed in WW, and in any case was charged with counterespionage rather than intelligence-gathering.)

Thursday, October 1st 2015, 10:20am

Welp, we all surely must know where things go from here..... When Atlantis eventually gets wind of the project you can be sure Dr.Minius will be disappointed that his goal of space flight will be side lined and instead the AAM project will be developed as a weapons system.

Friday, October 2nd 2015, 4:12am

2. You are hereby directed to compose or update all plans, files, or scenarios in order to advise the Defense Council and the Presidium regarding a national doctrine to actively encourage the termination of the Nordish atomic arms program using all necessary and applicable national-level assets, up to and including the preemptive use of military force.

3. You are hereby directed to consult upon the advisability of a program to design and acquire a deterent force of atomic arms under Russian control as part of the consideration of national political doctrine identified above.

And, as the Joker said, Here. We. Go.

I admit to being a bit amused that this admittedly predictable reaction is following an action that Nordmark only took to increase its own defensive security, though. Funny how history works out.
Carnival da yo~!

Friday, October 2nd 2015, 4:24am

And, as the Joker said, Here. We. Go.

I admit to being a bit amused that this admittedly predictable reaction is following an action that Nordmark only took to increase its own defensive security, though. Funny how history works out.

By definition a weapon or weapon system is neither solely defensive or offensive; it depends on how it is wielded by the user and perceived by the potential recipient. How is Nordmark threatened by any of its neighbors? Has Nordmark grown so paranoid that it must explicitly begin development of weapons of mass destruction to assure its security? If so, the development of comparable weapons by others is to be expected. As for preemptive actions, I think the term is "nipping a problem in the bud".

Friday, October 2nd 2015, 4:45am

By definition a weapon or weapon system is neither solely defensive or offensive; it depends on how it is wielded by the user and perceived by the potential recipient. How is Nordmark threatened by any of its neighbors? Has Nordmark grown so paranoid that it must explicitly begin development of weapons of mass destruction to assure its security? If so, the development of comparable weapons by others is to be expected. As for preemptive actions, I think the term is "nipping a problem in the bud".

At the moment, Nordmark's military manning requirements are internally recognized as unsustainable - even after the recent cuts. A further draw-down of conventional forces would seriously compromise Nordish security... and is also unavoidable. The warm bodies just aren't there.

So something needs to take their place - and who can say how much a treaty could be relied on, in the end?
Carnival da yo~!

Friday, October 2nd 2015, 9:53am

Ah yes, I do remember now, now I've found the reference.

I wouldn't get too jumpy about it, its still only a theoretical concept, sure the science is probably quite sound now but its a whole new unknown and the Nords haven't even got a pile going yet. I give them 10 years to do a decent job and without outside help its going to be a long slog.

As a weapon, I see it more as a strategic strike weapon. In the early 1940s they were viewed as 'Super-HE' type weapons, but they obviously are suited to large and industrial targets. As yet fine tuning for tactical uses is probably beyond the scope given the experience required to miniaturise the technology. Beyond 'super-weapon' scary propaganda, the rest is unknown as to its success or use.

Friday, October 2nd 2015, 10:30am

At this point in history I don't think anyone views the Atomic bomb as a "defensive" weapon, quite the opposite actually as bombs are usually strapped to aircraft and flown in offensive sorties against an enemy. To be honest I doubt Nordmark would be able to afford an atomic bomb program, if as you say the Nordish military is making cutbacks but that's just my humble opinion. Speaking for my own country, Atlantis already has heavy bombers, an extensive radar network, a large air force and is capable of building Ballistic missile's with some fine tuning of its AAM project. Atomic energy/bomb developement would almost certainly be theoretically laid out. How and when that theory turns into practice is open to prediction.

Friday, October 2nd 2015, 10:36pm

Ah yes, I do remember now, now I've found the reference.

I wouldn't get too jumpy about it, its still only a theoretical concept, sure the science is probably quite sound now but its a whole new unknown and the Nords haven't even got a pile going yet. I give them 10 years to do a decent job and without outside help its going to be a long slog.

I was calculating more like 7-8 years, but either way it's not until long after the end of the game.

As a weapon, I see it more as a strategic strike weapon. In the early 1940s they were viewed as 'Super-HE' type weapons, but they obviously are suited to large and industrial targets. As yet fine tuning for tactical uses is probably beyond the scope given the experience required to miniaturise the technology. Beyond 'super-weapon' scary propaganda, the rest is unknown as to its success or use.

Fair enough as far as the bomb itself goes, but I don't think that combining that 'Super Weapon' with a shrinking fleet and army and organized plans to take both of those further paints a picture of an offensive strategic posture.

At this point in history I don't think anyone views the Atomic bomb as a "defensive" weapon, quite the opposite actually as bombs are usually strapped to aircraft and flown in offensive sorties against an enemy. To be honest I doubt Nordmark would be able to afford an atomic bomb program, if as you say the Nordish military is making cutbacks but that's just my humble opinion. Speaking for my own country, Atlantis already has heavy bombers, an extensive radar network, a large air force and is capable of building Ballistic missile's with some fine tuning of its AAM project. Atomic energy/bomb developement would almost certainly be theoretically laid out. How and when that theory turns into practice is open to prediction.

That depends on the reason for the cutbacks; Nordmark is a fairly wealthy country and has, in my head, never had a problem affording new hardware or maintenance on what it has. The issue they're having is a manpower shortage - the Nordish population is only a little larger than that enjoyed OTL by the regions that make the country up, and that's too small to support a military that's capable of hindering any of their larger neighbors in a serious war.

Come to that, one of the reasons the Eisenhower-era US went in for a nuclear arsenal was the perception that it would be cheaper than maintaining full-scale conventional forces now that the atomic infrastructure was already in place.
Carnival da yo~!

Friday, October 2nd 2015, 11:16pm

You justify developing nuclear weapons because you lack the manpower to maintain a viable conventional defense against perceived foes...

Exactly who do you need to defend against? I think you are assuming a more predatory environment than actually exists; but certainly moving to develop such super weapons will be seen as a predatory measure by your neighbors and they will be constrained to act accordingly. Look at things from their perspective.

Saturday, October 3rd 2015, 12:52am

You justify developing nuclear weapons because you lack the manpower to maintain a viable conventional defense against perceived foes...

Exactly who do you need to defend against? I think you are assuming a more predatory environment than actually exists; but certainly moving to develop such super weapons will be seen as a predatory measure by your neighbors and they will be constrained to act accordingly. Look at things from their perspective.

International politics are fundamentally predatory, and you'll note that I in no way questioned Russia's position or logic on the matter, even if in retrospect their acquisition of and action on the relevant intelligence seem curiously abrupt to me given the degree of secrecy involved. I was remarking on the entirely appropriate parallels to the real-world's nuclear armament history, not complaining.
Carnival da yo~!

Saturday, October 3rd 2015, 12:58am

International politics are fundamentally predatory, and you'll note that I in no way questioned Russia's position or logic on the matter, even if in retrospect their acquisition of and action on the relevant intelligence seem curiously abrupt to me given the degree of secrecy involved. I was remarking on the entirely appropriate parallels to the real-world's nuclear armament history, not complaining.

I do not believe you have answered my question... and your assumptions are self-serving.

Saturday, October 3rd 2015, 1:08am

I do not believe you have answered my question... and your assumptions are self-serving.

Since he did not, I would think that he has those warmongers to the south (i.e. the Huns you control) in mind but does not want to hurt your feelings by saying that directly. :)

Saturday, October 3rd 2015, 1:27am

...Uhhuh.

I hadn't addressed the question directly because I don't think that the specific answer is relevant. It is, very literally, an extension of the question of 'Why does Nordmark have a navy and army and air force in the first place' - to ensure that the United States and Germany and the British Empire and, yes, Russia, and all the other states that could have designs on Nordish territory continue to conclude, even in their quietest and most internal speculations, that the attempt would not be cost effective.

And yes, I suppose my preference to avoid a confrontation over something that another party seems to be taking personally OOC rather than IC could be counted as 'self serving'.
Carnival da yo~!

Saturday, October 3rd 2015, 1:38am

Since he did not, I would think that he has those warmongers to the south (i.e. the Huns you control) in mind but does not want to hurt your feelings by saying that directly. :)

Warmongers? Tell me what conflict Germany has been involved in since the Great War? Japan would be an expert on the subject, having backed Chosen and humbled China. :P

Saturday, October 3rd 2015, 8:44am

That depends on the reason for the cutbacks; Nordmark is a fairly wealthy country and has, in my head, never had a problem affording new hardware or maintenance on what it has. The issue they're having is a manpower shortage - the Nordish population is only a little larger than that enjoyed OTL by the regions that make the country up, and that's too small to support a military that's capable of hindering any of their larger neighbors in a serious war.

Come to that, one of the reasons the Eisenhower-era US went in for a nuclear arsenal was the perception that it would be cheaper than maintaining full-scale conventional forces now that the atomic infrastructure was already in place.

Keep in mind both Britain and the U.S. both had nuclear programs, Britains more advanced that the Americans at first, then when war broke out and the British hesitated to share their research and were very quickly outpaced by the U.S. program, albeit due to their scientists working on "tube alloy's" were deverted to the American program. Essentially the British program was subsumed by the American one. Britain was a fairly wealthy country and it took them a decade with some knowledge gained via the Manhattan project (which took 3 years and a collective allied participation). Without a world war and allied cooperation I think 10 years is quite optimistic and that's before we take in wesworld economics into account. Britain has 50 factory's, Nordmark 21(?), factories being a rough gauge on a nations economic strength.

Saturday, October 3rd 2015, 11:36pm

Keep in mind both Britain and the U.S. both had nuclear programs, Britains more advanced that the Americans at first, then when war broke out and the British hesitated to share their research and were very quickly outpaced by the U.S. program, albeit due to their scientists working on "tube alloy's" were deverted to the American program. Essentially the British program was subsumed by the American one. Britain was a fairly wealthy country and it took them a decade with some knowledge gained via the Manhattan project (which took 3 years and a collective allied participation). Without a world war and allied cooperation I think 10 years is quite optimistic and that's before we take in wesworld economics into account. Britain has 50 factory's, Nordmark 21(?), factories being a rough gauge on a nations economic strength.

Aha, this, I can address in detail.

Going to wiki, we find a highly-rounded figure of $100 million for each Iowa-class Battleship. Comparing their given tonnage to our rules, we find that that puts 1 IP at about 22 million dollars or equivalent, plus-minus whatever the difference between an Iowa's Light and Standard tonnage is - it falls under the level of significant figures that interest me. Dividing the Manhattan Project's $2 billion pricetag by 22 million gives us...

*pause*

*frowns at his calculator* Wait, what? That's not at all what I got last time I did this. I got 20 IP then... Mrrgh.

*goes to edit the corrected total number into old reports*

Anyway, yeah, I'd calculated seven and a half years to reach the 'initial test' stage, or 1954 or so, based on my 50% overage of my initial figures. Recalculated, we're looking at something more like 1970.
Carnival da yo~!