You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Thursday, October 31st 2013, 9:35pm

Quoted

Originally posted by TheCanadian
Oh I agree there's likely enough tonnage on the open market, the Americans would sell merchant vessels to the Chosenians....at a reasonable price. They'd even sell trucks to the Chosenians or food, just not tanks planes or guns, or steel and oil. American banks would lend to Chosen as well, their interest might be high though.

China unfortunately does not get the same treatment until China removes its unjust tariffs. Pity.

Aren't trucks contraband or ships ????? ?( may be i have to look .... so if the US would sell them .....

Thursday, October 31st 2013, 9:48pm

Quoted

Originally posted by parador

Quoted

Originally posted by TheCanadian
Oh I agree there's likely enough tonnage on the open market, the Americans would sell merchant vessels to the Chosenians....at a reasonable price. They'd even sell trucks to the Chosenians or food, just not tanks planes or guns, or steel and oil. American banks would lend to Chosen as well, their interest might be high though.

China unfortunately does not get the same treatment until China removes its unjust tariffs. Pity.

Aren't trucks contraband or ships ????? ?( may be i have to look .... so if the US would sell them .....

Civilian automobiles and motor trucks, or merchant ships, are not in themselves defined as contraband of war by international convention, though a nation may declare them to be so and restrict its nationals from selling them to a belligerent. This is the position taken by Germany.

The Philippines has specific treaties which define contraband of war as it pertains to trade with those nations with which it is in treaty relations. Otherwise, it confines itself to international conventions.

What the United States chooses to declare contraband of war is its business.

Unfortunately, having chosen to withdraw from the League of Nations, China has small standing to complain. A most unfortunate set of circumstances.

Thursday, October 31st 2013, 9:55pm

Sorry ..... China didn't complain ... that was an OOC question. I didn't know it ... but i want to know it.

Friday, November 1st 2013, 2:31pm

It's possible Chosen could seek sub-contract shipping from charter firms and tramp steamers. After all, they wouldn't be flying the Chosen ensign and might escape Chinese attention and whatever the government's say, some skipper or fleet manager seeking ready cash is going to be willing to serve either side and carry whatever they need to.

BTW, just a pure OOC question, but what would the WW equivalent of Panama or Liberian-flagged vessels be considering both of those are colonies?

Friday, November 1st 2013, 2:48pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Hood
BTW, just a pure OOC question, but what would the WW equivalent of Panama or Liberian-flagged vessels be considering both of those are colonies?

Ireland.

Edited to add: While Panama became a flag-of-convenience in the 1930s, Liberia actually didn't institute an open registry until 1949, driven by the postwar shipping boom, particularly with regards to Greek-acquired Liberty ships, etc. Ireland does run their flag of convenience a little differently from Panama and Liberia: Ireland requires periodic safety inspections and has some rules about crew working conditions. So I've not had the Irish Merchant Marine grow as fast as Liberia's or Panama's historic fleets, which had neither ship inspections nor safety and working protections for the crews. But the registry fees are very low, as are taxes on corporate profits.

Ireland expects to add an estimated 125,000 DWT to their merchant marine in 1944 - give or take, the equivalent of twenty-five ships of 5,000t DWT. As of 1941, the fleet stood at 189 ships with an average deadweight tonnage of 4,700t (or a total of 888,300 DWT). While I've not updated since 1941 - I'll do that shortly, since the subject's come up - their goal was to pick up 75,000 DWT in 1942, 100,000 DWT in 1943, and 125,000 DWT in 1944. So the Irish Merchant Marine should be running about 1,188,300 DWT by the end of 1944. Still low compared to the British, Japanese, German, etc merchant fleets, but it's growing fast.

Friday, November 1st 2013, 6:18pm

Well with the opening of the Mexican canal, Mexico would be an attractive flag of convenience. I can see the SAE and Pacifica, being other options.

Friday, November 1st 2013, 6:28pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Desertfox
Well with the opening of the Mexican canal, Mexico would be an attractive flag of convenience.

Unfortunately, given Mexico's habit of seizing extra-national foreign assets, you'd probably only get the shipowners who want to avoid taxes, inspections, and safety regulations so that they can engage in more shady sorts of enterprises. And both Mexico and the SAE are too political, IMHO, to serve as good flags of convenience, which is something fairly unique that the Irish have at present.

Saturday, November 2nd 2013, 1:37am

Aren't a lot of IRL ships registered to Cyprus, which would in WW terms, be Greece?

Saturday, November 2nd 2013, 4:10am

Quoted

Originally posted by Sachmle
Aren't a lot of IRL ships registered to Cyprus, which would in WW terms, be Greece?

Much more recently, yes; Cyprus has jumped up towards the top ten flag states.