You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Wednesday, March 28th 2012, 6:02pm

Tall Ships Race, 1942

Gentlemen, it's time once again for the Tall Ships Race.

Since we have some new people around the forum, I'll briefly explain that this is just a bit of a fun thing I run once a sim-year. If you wish for your country to participate but don't have a clue about sailing ships, please PM me and I can make suggestions for submittals. If your country has participated in the past but doesn't send any ships, I might badger you by PM. :P

I'd love to see some new countries enter this year - Nordmark, Italy, SAE, Netherlands, Belgium, India... ;)

Quoted

[SIZE=3]Tall Ships Race 1942[/SIZE]
The purpose of the Tall Ships Race is to preserve skills and interests in tall sailing ships for future generations, and to create a international forum for friendly competition. The Tall Ships Committee works with host cities for event organization and advertising. A port call is estimated to bring upwards of fifty thousand visitors to a port city.

[SIZE=3]Rules:[/SIZE]
- The Tall Ships Race shall consist of two race legs approximately 400nm in length, separated by a cruise-in-company.
- Four Port Reviews will be made during the race.
- Race courses are designed to call at the largest number of countries possible - at least three, and preferably four.
- At least 50% of the crews of each ship must consist of young people (under 25 years old).
- Use of engines results in disqualification: ships may only race under sail.
- Entries are open to all monohull sailing vessels of at least 9.4 metres length (30 ft).
- Countries may enter up to two ships per category, with a maximum of six ships overall.
- Ships must meet safety requirements and pass safety inspection. **

[SIZE=3]Course and Timetable:[/SIZE]
- Cobh (Ireland) to La Rochelle (France): 465nm
- La Rochelle (France) to Plymouth (UK): 350nm
- Plymouth (UK) to A Coruna (Iberia): 455nm

All dates are subject to the vagaries of wind, weather, tide, and acts of God and should not be regarded as absolute. Port Reviews are arranged to fall on weekends or as close to weekends as possible.
June 3rd-7th: Cobh Review
June 8th: depart Cobh
June 8th-12th: Race Leg One
June 12th: arrive La Rochelle
June 12th-14th: La Rochelle Review
June 15th: depart La Rochelle
June 15th-18th: Cruise in Company
June 18th: arrive Plymouth
June 18th-21st: Plymouth review
June 22nd: depart Plymouth
June 22nd-26th: Race Leg Two
June 26th: arrive A Coruna
June 26th-29th: A Coruna Review
June 29th: Awards and Closing Ceremony, annual Tall Ships Race committee meeting.

[SIZE=3]Classifications:[/SIZE]
Class A: All vessels over 160 feet in length, regardless of rig, and square rigged vessels over 120 feet in length.
Class A; Division II: All square rigged vessels less than 120 feet in length.
Class A: Division III: Vintage Class A vessels laid down pre-1860, or replicas of same.
Class B: Fore-and-aft rigged vessels between 100 feet and 160 feet in length
Class C: All other fore-and-aft rigged vessels at least 30 feet long at the waterline.

[SIZE=1]All dimensions are counted from the waterline.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Prizes:[/SIZE]
- To the winner of the Class A race: a gold cup and the right to wear the "TSR White Banner" for a year; ceremonial flagship for next year's race.
- To the winner of the Class A Division II race: a gold cup and the right to wear the "TSR Green Banner" for a year.
- To the winner of the Class A Division III race: a gold cup and the right to wear the "TSR Green and White Banner" for a year.
- To the winner of the Class B race: a gold cup and the right to wear the "TSR Red Banner" for a year.
- To the winner of the Class C race: a gold cup and the right to wear the "TSR Blue Banner" for a year.

[SIZE=3]Title Holders:[/SIZE] [SIZE=1](1941 winners)[/SIZE]
- German barque Padua serves as ceremonial flagship and holder of the TSR White Banner (Class A Division I).
- Russian barque Mir is holder of the TSR Green Banner (Class A Division II).
- Atlantean frigate Alala is holder of the TSR Green and White Banner (Class A Division III).
- American schooner Atlantic is holder of the TSR Red Banner (Class B).
- British sloop Jolie Brise is holder of the TSR Blue Banner (Class C).

** - Please no joke submissions.

Wednesday, March 28th 2012, 6:04pm

[SIZE=3]Entries:[/SIZE]
Please submit the ship's name and which class it's entered in. Previous entries are already on file. New entries, particularly if the vessels are ahistorical, should include dimensions (waterline and overall), the ship's rig, and the size of her crew. Entries will be held open until I get enough ships to make a satisfactory race or until I decide to make the writeup.

1. Ship Name: ___________________
2. Nationality: ___________________
3. Rig: _________________________
4. Crew Size: ___________________
5. Classification: __________________
6. (Optional) Known Speeds: _______

[SIZE=4]Tall Ships Race Participants:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]Defending title-holders are automatically entered; if the ship is NOT participating, tell me.[/SIZE]

Class A Division I
- Argentine barque Presidente Sarmiento
- Atlantean barque Atlantes
- Australian barque Southern Cross
- Brazilian ship Benjamin Constant
- British barque Prince of Wales
- Bulgarian ship Balgarski Lav
- Chilean barque Esmeralda
- Danish ship Danmark
- French barque Étoile
- German barque Padua
- German barque Seeadler
- Greek barque Odysseus
- Iberian schooner Juan Sebastián Elcano
- Irish barkentine High Seas
- Japanese barque Ningyo
- Japanese ship Uzume
- Filipino barque Magellan
- Mexican barque Cuauhtemoc
- Nordish ship Sorlandet
- Nordish ship Christian Radich
- Polish barque Dar Pomorza

Class A Division II
- Atlantean brig Namu
- British barque British Steel
- Iberian barque Marques
- Japanese ship Fujin
- Russian barque Mir
- Yugoslavian barque Pelikan

Class A Division III
- Atlantean Frigate Alala
- Atlantean snow Edna II
- British frigate Trincomalee
- Canadian Frigate Shannon
- Canadian schooner Liverpool Packet
- Chosen replica Geobukseon

Class B
- Atlantean Schooner White Bull
- British schooner Atlantic
- Canadian schooner Bluenose
- French schooner Alouette
- Irish Topsail Schooner Red Hand
- Japanese ketch Ryujin
- Polish Ketch Frédéric Chopin

Class C
- Atlantean Schooner Flamme
- British sloop Jolie Brise
- British schooner Royalist
- Bulgarian schooner Topaz
- Canadian Schooner Maple Leaf
- French yawl Malice
- French yawl Mutine
- Greek yawl Apostolis
- Greek yawl Miaoulis
- Japanese schooner Tenjin

Wednesday, March 28th 2012, 6:46pm

Mexico will enter, Cuahtemoc and SS R-14 now sailing under a proper sail rig... :D

1. Ship Name: R-14
2. Nationality: Mexico (ex-US)
3. Rig: Full rigged ship
4. Crew Size: 29
5. Classification: Class A
6. (Optional) Known Speeds: 3+ (5?)

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Desertfox" (Mar 28th 2012, 6:49pm)

Wednesday, March 28th 2012, 7:21pm

Yugoslavia will enter the oceanographic and civilian training ship Pelikan (whose stats are, I believe, on file)

Germany will enter the naval training ship Seeadler (whose stats are, I believe, on file)

The Philippines will enter the naval training ship Magellan; I do not think she has entered the races previously, but her SS data is here:

Magellan

Wednesday, March 28th 2012, 9:57pm

Many fans will be very disappointed to hear that the extremely popular Viking Longship Replica Yabanjin and her merry reenactors will not take part in the tall ship race due to the Annual Festival of the Japanese Reenactors Society which takes place between June 6 and June 13.

Japan's 1940 participants Tenjin, Ryujin, Fujin and Uzume will be joined by the Ningyo.

Ship Name: Ningyo

[SIZE=1]data and edited pic of the OTL Sagres III[/SIZE]
Ship Type: Barque
Owner: Togo's Naval School
Nationality: Japan
Length: 295 feet
Beam: 40 feet
Draught: 17 feet
Rig: Square/Gaff
Crew Size: 12 officers, 68 crew, up to 150 cadets
Classification: Class A
Known Speeds: 17 knots

Thursday, March 29th 2012, 12:24am

Greece will send the yawls Apostolis and Miaoulis and, in a rather surprising move, the barque Odysseus. Odysseus will only have completed half of her post construction trials at the time of the race, but it was decided to risk it instead of waiting until next year.

Stats can be found here

Thursday, March 29th 2012, 12:26am

Entrants

Denmark and Iberia will field the same ships as previous years. ;)

And over the weekend of August 24th to 27th,
I will be drooling all over the decks of DANMARK,
as she will be attending the Dublin Tall Ships Festival,
the finish line of this years race!!!!
:D :D :D

Thursday, March 29th 2012, 2:47am

RE: Entrants

Quoted

Originally posted by Commodore Green
And over the weekend of August 24th to 27th,
I will be drooling all over the decks of DANMARK,
as she will be attending the Dublin Tall Ships Festival,
the finish line of this years race!!!!
:D :D :D

Just make sure to take photos for usbefore you drool on it! ;)

Thursday, March 29th 2012, 11:00am

Atlantis will send the same ships as last year for simplicity's sake.

Thursday, March 29th 2012, 3:21pm

Okiedokie.

Thursday, March 29th 2012, 7:54pm

Wiki indicates a number of possibilities that, OTL, would have been available to Nordmark's component nations, but none of the previous Nordmark players seem to have included them or their equivalents in Nordish ownership. Given that they're minor training vessels and the Race is essentially a fluff piece, I personally don't see any big deal in just invoking them anyway, but I figured I should check with the community before I did so.
Carnival da yo~!

Thursday, March 29th 2012, 8:11pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Valles
Wiki indicates a number of possibilities that, OTL, would have been available to Nordmark's component nations, but none of the previous Nordmark players seem to have included them or their equivalents in Nordish ownership. Given that they're minor training vessels and the Race is essentially a fluff piece, I personally don't see any big deal in just invoking them anyway, but I figured I should check with the community before I did so.

I've used Statsraad Lehmkuhl in the 1938 and 1941 Tall Ships Races, and the 1941 Tall Ships Challenge. (I submitted her because Nordmark was effectively NPC when I put together those races. Statsraad Lehmkuhl won the 1941 Tall Ships Challenge.

It's odd - I have data for Christian Radich in my spreadsheets, but not Statsraad Lehmkuhl. In fact my spreadsheets say it was Christian Radich which won last year's TSC, not the Statsraad Lehmkuhl... But as I didn't know if the Radich had been built, I've just presumed upon Statsraad Lehmkuhl. Maybe my sheet is confused...

Thursday, March 29th 2012, 10:27pm

I was thinking Suomen Joutsen, af Chapman, and Sorlandet, all in Class A, with Statsraad Lehmkuhl, Christian Radich, and Pommern staying home, myself.
Carnival da yo~!

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Valles" (Mar 29th 2012, 10:27pm)

Thursday, March 29th 2012, 10:35pm

Quoted

I was thinking Suomen Joutsen, af Chapman, and Sorlandet, all in Class A, with Statsraad Lehmkuhl, Christian Radich, and Pommern staying home, myself.

Any two of those would work well.

Thursday, March 29th 2012, 10:53pm

Quoted

Originally posted by BrockpaineAny two of those would work well.

Hm, I missed something in the rules about number of entries? Well, that makes sense.

Let's go with the spreadsheets' version of events and make it the Sorlandet and the Christian Radich, then, since the latter has previous history in the race.
Carnival da yo~!

Thursday, March 29th 2012, 11:19pm

Quoted

Quoted

Originally posted by BrockpaineAny two of those would work well.

Hm, I missed something in the rules about number of entries? Well, that makes sense.

Quoted

[SIZE=3]Rules:[/SIZE]
- Countries may enter up to two ships per category.

The reason for that is because of the way I set who wins. I use a random number generator and some pre-determined modifiers to determine finish times, so if a country entered, say, twenty ships into the Class C race, then their odds of winning are significantly higher than if they just entered two ships. Limiting the number of entries per category prevents "victory by spamming." :P

Sorlandet and Christian Radich it is, then, huzzah.

Thursday, March 29th 2012, 11:45pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Brockpaine

I've used Statsraad Lehmkuhl in the 1938 and 1941 Tall Ships Races, and the 1941 Tall Ships Challenge.

You mean this ship?
Yup, drooled on her deck too!!
Lovely vessel, with VERY cute crewgirl manning (womaning?) the souvenir stand.

Friday, March 30th 2012, 4:10pm

Yup, that's the ship.

Friday, March 30th 2012, 9:02pm

Britain will enter the same as last year (unless Brock can adivse on anything any better).

Argentina will send the Sarimento.

Friday, March 30th 2012, 9:06pm

Excellent! :)