You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Thursday, January 26th 2012, 7:58am

Encyclopedia Guidelines

Just some guidelines I'd like to put out for the community's thoughts and comments.

We pretty much don't have any rules on the board about what should be in the encyclopedia, and how it should be in there, but I'd like to suggest some minimum requirements.

1) List all ships of a class.
Preferably, list all ships built to those specificaions, by name, and any other relevant identifier your navy uses. At a minimum (since yes, you don't name every little torpedo boat or landing craft), specify how many were built, how many are still in service, and how/when the remainder were disposed of.

2) Update, Update, Update.
If it's been laid down, if it's been transferred to your flag, if it just appeared at your docks with an elaborate bow on the front turret, put something in the encyclopedia denoting the basics. If it's been scrapped, sold, converted, or been banished to the N-Verse, make a note of it. Encyclopedias should not lag several quarters (or years) behind news and sim reports.

3) Public Knowledge
The default, general consensus is that unless otherwise noted, data from the encyclopedias is available to any moderately competant intelligence service (and thus, to the government that operates them). If this is not the case, make notes of what efforts and desired results your nation is aiming for.

But basically, consider this a reminder that pretty much everyone; players, mods, lurking guests, everyone depends heavily on the Encyclopedias to keep track of what's going on with the main focus of the sim; The ships. So please keep them managed and in order.

If there's more suggestions, or anything I've missed, feel free to chime in.

Thursday, January 26th 2012, 3:24pm

My name is Brock and I approve of this message.

Thursday, January 26th 2012, 9:56pm

Make it so....

Friday, January 27th 2012, 3:48am

Quoted

Originally posted by Brockpaine
My name is Brock and I approve of this message.

My name is Jason and I think Brock has heard too many election pitches.

I can go with it though.

Friday, January 27th 2012, 5:47am

"The three sections I would cut out of this encyclopedia are the....ummm, Yemanese section.....umm, and the...ummm....um, the Czechoslovakian section....and, umm....ummm...ummm..and the....um...umm....I can't think of a third section"