You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Friday, August 12th 2011, 11:36pm

Designing a Sailing Ship

How would I even start to design a sailing ship on Springsharp? I don't know where to begin, with all the masts and rigging, as well as sails. I assume i can start my designing the hull. If i want my ship to be pure (ie no engines, just sails) how would i go about doing this?

I recently saw a list of famous sailing ships that nations use to train men and women for service in their armed forces. I was sad to see none came from my home country of Canada. I would want to see a big great Canadian flag flying from the rigging of at least one great sailing ship. Brings back the days when sailing ships were the way to cross between continents.

Also, if there are any fellow Canadians out there, what should i name my new ship?

I was thinking some of these names might work:
- Canada (WAY too obvious)
- Saint Laurent (the river St. Lawrence for you non-canadians)
- Labrador (a name that seems to have an air of romance to it...i don't know why)
-or after some famous canadian...i don't know...to many to pick from...any top picks?

That's all that pops into my head for now...please comment and help me with this design....

This post has been edited 3 times, last edit by "RMSCANADA" (Aug 12th 2011, 11:43pm)

Saturday, August 13th 2011, 3:15am

I guess it is a safe bet to avoid using Nunavut...

You can't go wrong with things like provinces, cities, rivers, mountains...

Quoted

any top picks?

William Cornelius van Horne? Albert Bowman Rogers? :)

Saturday, August 13th 2011, 3:47am

How about the Antelope

That would be my specialty.

You are probably referring to the large, steel-hulled sail training ships like Dar Pomorza or Gorch Fock. Designing these ships in Springsharp requires some trickery, but it is easier than pre-1860s wooden-hulled ships.

First, the weight of the rigging must be accounted for: this represents approximately 10 to 15% of the ship's light tonnage, which must be added in the miscellaneous weight.

Second, I generally sim the ship with an engine, either diesel or triple-expansion, and I turn up the range rather high. The weight of the fuel is remarked in the notes as ballast; the range of the engines should generally be 1-2,000 nm. This helps Springsharp 2 keep the stability from going all crazy. If you don't sim an engine, then everything's all wonky and Springsharp throws all sorts of warnings.

Springsharp will not let you estimate vital statistics such as mast height, sail area, and speed under said. It's just the wrong program for the job.

If you're trying to make an all-wooden ship, such as the pre-1860s vessels, you'd be better off to find the stats of a historical ship on Wikipedia and just copy them. Springsharp can't do that.

For a gander at one of my tall ship designs, have a look at my Esmeralda (ex-Pamir).

Saturday, August 13th 2011, 4:15am

Thanks for the info guys. It really helped. I'll get right on it. I started the hull design today but didn't get really far. I didn't know how to start.

As for the name for the vessel, I chose to name her Saint Laurent after the well-known river. Second choice was to have been Labrador. Also thanks Rooijen10 for the name suggestions - William Cornelius van Horne seemed interesting but the names i thought of seem to fit better (not to say Simon Bolivar doesn't work for Venezuela's training ship - it definitely works there).

As a side note, i also have a plan to design a second training tall ship for Argentina to be named after Evita Peron. I think the name fits pretty well.

Here is a list of training vessels (tall ships) from other navies: look these up, there kinda cool...

- Amerigo Vespucci (Italy)
- Gloria (Colombia)
- Libertad (Argentina)
- Cisne Branco (Brazil)
- Esmeralda (Chile)
- Juan Sebastián Elcano (Spain)
- Gorch Fock (Germany)
-

Saturday, August 13th 2011, 4:38am

Quoted

William Cornelius van Horne seemed interesting but the names i thought of seem to fit better

Well they're both pretty important... from a railroad point of view. :)

BTW, while both were active in Canada with the railroads, I hope that the fact that both were born in the US isn't too much of an insult.

Saturday, August 13th 2011, 9:15pm

Canadian Tall Ship

Here is my Canadian Tall Ship design. I found a seperate program (not Springsharp) that allows me to input dimensions and sail area (things more pertinent to sailing ships, not motor vessels) and spits out info like sail area vs. displacement, maximum speed under sail, etc. If you guys want to check it out, here is the link:

http://www.image-ination.com/sailcalc.html

Anyway here is the design of my sailing ship. Hope you guys like it...

Saint Laurent (Canadian Tall Ship)

General Characteristics
Ship Description= Full-rigged sailing ship
Length Overall (LOA) = 260 ft (79.27 m)
Length Waterline (LWL) = 220 ft (67.07 m)
Beam Waterline = 40 ft (12.19 m)
Draft @ normal load = 17.8 ft (5.43 m)
Normal Displacement = 6,720,000 lbs (3,000 tons)
Sail Area = 15,000 ft^2 or 1,394 m^2 from 26 sails
Main Propulsion: Sail Power
Auxiliary Propulsion: Diesel Engine (rated at 4,000 BHP) driving a single 8.9 ft diameter 4-bladed propeller at 340 RPM.
Designed Range (power): 6,000 nm @ 12 kts (motor)
Fuel Required: 352 tons (diesel oil)
Displacement-Length Ratio (D-L) = 282
Theoretical Hull Speed = 19.88 kts
Sail Area vs. Displacement = 6.74
Length to Beam Ratio = 5.5
Motion Comfort = 325.75 (higher is better)
Capsize Ratio = 0.85 (less than 2.00 is ideal)
Pounds-per-inch immersion--loading submergence (ppi) = 31,443 lbs/inch

Performance Data

Maximum Speed Under Sail: 21.2 knots (24.38 mph)
Maximum Speed Under Motor: 15.6 knots (17.94 mph)

Saturday, August 13th 2011, 10:50pm

RE: Canadian Tall Ship

Quoted

Originally posted by RMSCANADA
Performance Data
Maximum Speed Under Sail: 21.2 knots (24.38 mph)

With the caveat "only obtainable under extreme and dangerous conditions." Overmasting a sailing ship will slow it down as much as under-masting it, and will be significantly more unstable besides.

I'd suggest a barque or barkentine rig. It's the best balance to lower manning requirements with speed.