You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Thursday, July 14th 2011, 10:54pm

Quoted

Originally posted by BruceDuncan
Parwiz almost seems an honorable man, though perhaps the truth of that remains to be seen. Certainly he is aware of the dangers he faces. I'm looking forward to the next installment.

I've always been a fan of "baddies" who remain worthy and honorable opponents, even if they adhere to a cause antithetical to the viewer's own. While defeating truly despicable enemies is more satisfying, nothing quite shows the folly of war like matching two honorable but dissenting foes against each other.

My take on Parwiz is that, while the success of his cause would badly disrupt the Middle East and western Asia, at his core he is a Persian patriot and a fundamentally decent, if flawed, man.

Saturday, July 16th 2011, 12:28pm

That adds a nice flavour Brock, few contests in history have been between purely good and evil sides. An enemy is something you wish to defeat but to your enemy you are the enemy - two sides trying to achieve the opposite outcome but that doesn't mean both are morally seperate in their thoughts and actions.

Sunday, July 17th 2011, 6:11am

Nicely written, Bruce! I loved the rifle mishaps.

Will be interested to see the fate meted out to Mirza Ali Khan...

Sunday, July 17th 2011, 2:30pm

Thank you!

There should be one more installment to wrap things up. There are a few loose ends to tie up and some groundwork to lay for the future.

Sunday, July 17th 2011, 9:49pm

Well done Bruce!
Good story!

Sunday, July 17th 2011, 11:32pm

Huzzah!! Good to see that bandit get his. Nice touch with the (possibly) defective rifles. One wonders, did the sellers sell them bad gear, or are the bandits just incompetent and don't know what a safety is.

Monday, July 18th 2011, 12:14am

Quoted

Originally posted by Sachmle
Huzzah!! Good to see that bandit get his. Nice touch with the (possibly) defective rifles. One wonders, did the sellers sell them bad gear, or are the bandits just incompetent and don't know what a safety is.

All will be revealed in due time. ;)

Monday, July 18th 2011, 2:06am

Nicely done.

Monday, July 18th 2011, 2:11am

Thank you. It took longer than I originally thought it would; I hope everyone finds it interesting.

If circumstances permit, perhaps Captain King can reappear at a future date.

Monday, July 18th 2011, 5:02pm

Note to Brock....

I'd use King to form the Irish Army's "Ranger Wing" when he gets back to Ireland.....to get a jump on the real world!

Nicely written Bruce!

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Commodore Green" (Jul 18th 2011, 5:02pm)

Monday, July 18th 2011, 5:06pm

I am certain that Captain King will have a long career in the Irish Army - should he be lucky to live that long. :D

And given the fact that the Irish field commanders seem more open to innovation than one might expect, your hopes may be fulfilled. I suspect that many nations will be interested in the lessons coming out of Afghanistan.

Monday, July 18th 2011, 5:35pm

RE: Note to Brock....

Quoted

Originally posted by Commodore Green
I'd use King to form the Irish Army's "Ranger Wing" when he gets back to Ireland.....to get a jump on the real world!

Something of that nature has been floating around in the back of my mind, yes. Not certain precisely what nature it will take, but don't worry - he'll have excellent job prospects!

Tuesday, July 19th 2011, 5:04am

It's Called the Plain of the Dead for a Reason

A most interesting set of developments; however, I do have to feel sorry for General Parwiz.

"Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall."

Tuesday, July 19th 2011, 5:07am

RE: It's Called the Plain of the Dead for a Reason

Quoted

Originally posted by BruceDuncan
A most interesting set of developments; however, I do have to feel sorry for General Parwiz.

"Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall."

Well, he'd point out that it could apply to the League just as easily as it could apply to him! ;)

Tuesday, July 19th 2011, 11:13pm

Do you have an estimate for total number of losses, on both sides, so far?

Tuesday, July 19th 2011, 11:14pm

Quoted

Originally posted by TexanCowboy
Do you have an estimate for total number of losses, on both sides, so far?

In which battle?

Tuesday, July 19th 2011, 11:15pm

The entire campaign, to date, from touchdown in Afghanistan to now.

Tuesday, July 19th 2011, 11:22pm

Quoted

Originally posted by TexanCowboy
The entire campaign, to date, from touchdown in Afghanistan to now.

Nothing written down.

Wednesday, July 20th 2011, 4:37pm

Great story so far. Too bad Parwiz never had the proper equipment or enough hardware to achieve his plans. So far it seems both Brock and I have represented him as a bold tactician willing to take risks.

Also the League and or the nations participating in the Afghanistan operation made some very good decisions in regard to the officers assigned to the mission. IMO it seems their officers tend to lean into being aggressive and adept to improvisation. Kudos.

Wednesday, July 20th 2011, 6:15pm

Thanks!