You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Friday, January 21st 2011, 7:25pm

Unternehmen Herbstreise

Part One

Wednesday, 3 July 1940

Captain Stephen Jarvis, of the steamer Yorkbrook, stood upon her starboard bridgewing, and noted Ushant off in the distance. It confirmed the home-bound course the freighter was steaming, and signaled that soon she would change course to turn up the Channel. Taking one last look about him, he saw in the distance the smoke of another steamer; this was no surprise – but as he continued to watch the smoke cloud seemed to grow larger, and then he could see the first hint of the upper works of a large vessel, still hull down. He entered the chart house, encountering his first officer, Edward Parker, and asked him to join him on the port-side bridgewing.

“There’s something unusual ahead,” he said, pointing Parker’s attention toward the approaching ship. “What do you make of her?”

Parker, like Jarvis, was a veteran of the Great War. Putting his glasses to his eyes he could now clearly see that the black blob resolved itself into two, no, three ships. Two were clearly warships; the third looked like a tanker, he long low lines indicating she was fully loaded to the plimsols. “Men o’war sir,” Parker replied. “Two big ships and a tanker.” While answering, he did not take his eyes off the three vessels.

“I suppose the Navy is exercising again,” said Jarvis, “or maybe the Frenchies. Close enough to Brest.” Jarvis too had his eyes riveted on the strangers. “I can’t see their colors.”

Parker’s voice betrayed his surprise. “They certainly not the Navy sir; not unless the RN has chosen a new paint scheme. And their lines don’t look French”. Parker stepped back into the chart house and began rummaging under the plotting table.

“At least they have no interest in us,” spoke Jarvis, as he too entered. “They seem to be keeping to themselves, and making good speed in doing so.” The foreign warships had now come abeam of Yorkbrook, and were perhaps two miles to port on a heading south-southwest.

Parker had found the book he sought and was thumbing through it quickly. The thick, oblong book with the green covers bespoke its name even open, ‘Janes Fighting Ships’. Parker stopped thumbing and laid the book on the table. “Battlecruisers sir, German by the look of them. And that tanker” he said, thumbing a few pages forward, “looks like one of their Dithmarchens. Fleet auxiliary. I wonder where they are going in such hurry.”

”Good question Mister Parker, but they are not likely to answer us if we ask. Change course once we weather Ushant and let us get home; we’ll soon find out what’s happening once we get there.”

Friday, January 21st 2011, 8:07pm

"Sir, the Jerries are coming out!"

Friday, January 21st 2011, 8:20pm

Et tu Brute?

No comment.

Saturday, January 22nd 2011, 2:10am

Quoted

Originally posted by Brockpaine

"Sir, the Jerries are coming out!"

Jolly good flick, except the whole "Love story/Lost my son" bit.

Saturday, January 22nd 2011, 11:07am

Damn, that chap as a damned resembelence to Douglas Bader too!
And Second Officer Lightoller of the Titantic!

Ye Gads! there is sinister something afoot! :D

Captain Jarvis made his report on arrival at harbour but the Commander-in-Chief Western Approaches was out playing golf. Now you have to guess which ships those blocks of wood with the little Union Jacks on them represent...

Thursday, January 27th 2011, 6:22pm

Herbstreise - Part Two

Saturday, 13 July 1940

The battlecruiser Derfflinger cruised slowly in the wake of the supply ship Altmark as she topped off her fuel tanks; Seydlitz followed astern, awaiting her turn to do the same. The ships rode easily on the long Atlantic swells; with Brazil several hundred miles to the west of them they were far off the normal shipping lanes.

Konteradmiral Günther Lütjens, commander of the Fourth Cruiser Squadron, sat at the conference table, charts spread before him. He had waited until his force was well at sea before discussing their orders with his subordinates. Kapitän zur See Ernst Lindemann, commander of the Seydlitz, sat to his right. At that moment Kapitän zur See Hans Langsdorff, commander of the Derfflinger entered.

“Our refueling is complete?” asked Lütjens.

“Yes Herr Admiral,” Langsdorff replied; “Altmark will be ready to pass her hoses to Seydlitz when it is convenient.” He took his place across the table from Lindemann and waited for Lütjens to continue.

“No doubt you are wondering why we were detached from the Fleet Maneuvers on such notice. I can now tell you that our orders direct us to show Germany’s flag in the distant seas where it has not been seen for many years.” He pointed to the map. “Our first port of call is here; I expect us to be there a week from today.”

Both captains peered at the chart. “Easily done Herr Admiral” said Lindemann, the first to speak.

“Good!” replied the admiral. “Unless our orders are changed by Fleet Command in Berlin, our stay there will be short. However, until we do arrive there, we will maintain absolute wireless silence.”

Thursday, January 27th 2011, 7:11pm

A week at 15 knots would mean about 2500 nautical miles. You're east of Brazil... Falklands perhaps?

Thursday, January 27th 2011, 7:36pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Rooijen10
A week at 15 knots would mean about 2500 nautical miles. You're east of Brazil... Falklands perhaps?

Quoted

Planet Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy

Thursday, January 27th 2011, 7:39pm

Quoted

That would leave a couple of options for them. Like the hints. Good read so far.

Friday, January 28th 2011, 12:26am

I actually think Namibia/Cameroon, myself.

Friday, January 28th 2011, 4:21am

Saturday June 13th 1940

Somewhere in the South Atlantic

The new aircraft carrier Brasil having just completed her builders trials was steaming across the South Atlantic at a placid 15 knots, at the head of the First Scouting Group.

Vice-Almirante Augusto Grünewald, recently promoted commander of the Scouting Group, stood at the bridge of the flagship, as she plowed through the Atlantic waves. Beside him stood Capitão Frontin, son of the Brazilian Admiral who led the Brazilian Naval Division during the Great War, and recently promoted to take command of the Brasil .

"Tell me, Capitão what is the state of our ship?" asked Grünewald,

"All in good working order, sir, although the British aren't quite as fanatical as the Germans on overengineering things, they have been doing this sort of thing for longer," replied Frontin.

"Excellent, and speaking of the Germans, whats the report from Pampas on those two ships out there?" asked Grünewald.

"Pampas has confirmed they are German, and that from the looks of things both are of the German blindado cruzador type, the newest ones." The Vice-Almirante goes to inspect his copy of Jane's "Derfflinger, and Seydlitz?" "Yes sir."

"While it is interesting that Germany is sending ships into the South Atlantic, the Germans are our friends and we would quite like to keep it that way. Order Prince Rainier of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, no request his Imperial Highness on Almirante Saldanha to politely ask his German cousins their intentions in these waters. But make sure you emphasize polite, we don't want any mistakes here," the Vice-Almirante ordered."

xxxxxxx

Message from MIBN Almirante Saldanha

"PARDON ME, BUT WE ARE CURIOUS AS TO WHAT YOU ARE INTENDING IN SOUTH ATLANTIC WATERS OFF OUR SHORES"

Friday, January 28th 2011, 4:42am

Saturday, 13 July 1940

Konteradmiral Günther Lütjens cursed the ill-luck that brought a Brazilian task force across his course. He had hoped to pass unnoticed but that could not be helped now.

“What do they say Langsdorf?” he asked.

“They ask our intentions Herr Admiral. While we are in international waters, we are likely to be closer than they would prefer.”

Lütjens pursed his lips a moment. “We will tell them the truth. That should satisfy them.”

“Yes Herr Admiral”. Langsdorf turned to his signal officer and dictated a response. In moments the signal lamp on Derfflinger’s bridge flickered in response.

“DERFFLINGER TO ALMIRANTE SALDANHA – WE ARE BOUND FOR BAHIA BLANCA FOR A COURTESY VISIT AS PART OF A NAVIGATIONAL EXERCISE”

Friday, January 28th 2011, 5:08am

Aboard MIBN Brasil

Vice-Almirante watched the flickers from Almirante Saldanha. "What is their response Frontin?" he asked.

"They say they are bound for Bahia Blanca for a courtesy visit, as part of a navigational exercise."

"Odd that we didn't hear of it, either the Argentines are keeping secrets, or its a bureacratic mixup. Its also quite the courtesy call, two major German warships sailing halfway across the world just to visit Bahia? Interesting. Radio Rio mentioning a German taskforce is in the South Atlantic, and flicker over to them that we will accompany them at till he have to head for Rio. I don't suppose we have any planes on this carrier?" the Almirante asked.

"No sir, they haven't been delivered yet, apparently the Imperial Bureacracy delivered them the day after we sailed."

"Figures, well politely inform them that they will have company till we turn for Rio, and ask them if they want us to follow discreetly behind or if we should just sail with them, I am in a humourous mood today," the Almirante chuckled.

"ALMIRANTE SALDANHA TO DERFFLINGER - WE ARE ALSO SOUTHWARD BOUND TO RIO DE JANEIRO AND WILL ACCOMPANY YOU TILL WE TURN OFF WOULD YOU LIKE US TO DISCREETLY FOLLOW OR JUST SAIL WITH YOU"

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "TheCanadian" (Jan 28th 2011, 5:44am)

Friday, January 28th 2011, 5:17am

Saturday, 13 July 1940

Quoted

"ALMIRANTE SALDANHA TO DERFFLINGER - WE ARE ALSO SOUTHWARD BOUND TO RIO DE JANEIRO AND WILL ACCOMPANY YOU TILL WE TURN OFF WOULD YOU LIKE US TO DISCREETLY FOLLOW OR JUST SAIL WITH YOU"

Lütjens indicated his response, and Langsdorf nodded in reply.

“DERFFLINGER TO ALMIRANTE SALDANHA – WE ARE HONOURED TO SAIL IN YOUR COMPANY. WE WILL FOLLOW YOUR COURSE”

Friday, January 28th 2011, 5:54am

Tuesday 16 July 1940

"Sir, a message from Rio," the radio officer handed the message to Grünewald.

STOP GERMAN TASKFORCE IN SOUTH ATLANTIC LEGIT STOP

"Interesting, I didn't think the bureacrats could actually work that fast, well its almost time to alter course to Rio anyhow."

"ALMIRANTE SALDANHA TO DERFFLINGER -- ITS BEEN AN HONOUR SAILING WITH YOU. GOOD LUCK ON YOUR MISSION."

Tuesday, February 1st 2011, 9:57pm

Herbstreise - Part Three

Saturday, 20 July 1940

Since parting company with the Brazilian task force some days before, the Fourth Cruiser Squadron no contact with other vessels as it made its way towards its destination. Their course had kept them off the normal shipping lanes, though as they approached Bahia Blanca it was certain that their presence would soon become known.

Konteradmiral Günther Lütjens sat placidly in his chair on the flag bridge. It was his good fortune to be free from the day-to-day operations of the Derfflinger, and his double good fortune to have a flagship commander by Hans Langsdorff, who anticipated most of the problems that could crop up on a warship during a long voyage. His reverie was broken by Langsdorff’s arrival.

“Herr Admiral,” he began. “Our lookouts have sighted what appears to be an Argentine patrol ship some five miles off the starboard bow. Our navigation appears to be correct and we are approaching Argentine territorial waters.”

“Has this patrol craft sighted us Langsdorff?” Lütjens asked.

“They have not yet hailed us; though I would expect them to do so quite soon.”

“Perhaps we should slow our speed and prepare for our arrival. Please slow the ship to ten knots but remain on our present course for the time being.”

“Yes, Herr Admiral”. Langsdorff said with alacrity, relaying the order to the ship’s navigating bridge.

Turning to a signal yeoman Lütjens ordered, “Make to Seydlitz and Altmark. Slow to ten knows and form line ahead. Prepare to render passing honors.”

Tuesday, February 1st 2011, 11:04pm

Nicely written!

Tuesday, February 1st 2011, 11:30pm

Agree with Brock. Is nicely written. Still trying to figure out the final destination. I have an idea, but why spoil a good story with assumptions? :D

Runs away. In a serious mode, is a very good story.

Wednesday, February 2nd 2011, 12:48am

I think I know, but I'll refrain for those of us that don't.

Wednesday, February 2nd 2011, 8:42am

Nice story.

It's far away, so China isn't very interested, where exactly is the destination.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "parador" (Feb 2nd 2011, 8:43am)