You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Saturday, February 16th 2008, 4:50am

Legion Oranje Headquarters, Palanga, Lithuania

Brigadier-Generaal Jakob Snellensoon rose from his heavily work cluttered desk as Van Der Kade was ushered into the study that Snellensoon had chosen to serve as his personal office. Snellensoon nodded to his orderly, and the man braced to attention then quietly withdrew from the room, closing the door securely behind him.

Snellensoon examined his chief-of-staff critically for a moment before offering him a seat in front of the desk. Van Der Kade took it wearily, he moved stiffly and favoured his left arm and right leg as he moved to sit. Snellensoon waited until Van Der Kade had settled himself comfortablely before speaking.

"You've had a rough time in Vilnius I see, Karel. I hope nothing permanent."

"No. Nothing that won't mend in time. Some of our lads had it a lot worse and came out alive, although a few didn't." Van Der Kade allowed. He forced stiff fingers to withdraw a cigarette from a engraved silver cigar case. The intricate work upon it had a distinctly nautical theme, it was a treasured birthday gift from his grandfather, a Dutch admiral. Snellensoon noticed the dent made by a bullet strike in the lid.

"A close call, Karel?" Snellensoon observed as he poured both himself and Van Der Kade a generous measure of liquour, from a crystal decanter.
Van Der Kade nodded as he struck a match and lite the cigarette. He took a few puffs before speaking again by which time smoke encircled his head like a grey-white wreath.
"What I get for not reacting when someone shouts duck in the middle of a street fight." He paused, taking another puff. "When that happens you duck and don't think about it. Because if you don't, you don't often have the luxury of thinking about it later."
Snellensoon nodded, that observation tallied with his own experiences. He handed Van Der Kade, one of the two glasses he held, then settled himself in the chair behind the desk.

Van Der Kade looked around the sumptuously furbished room and gave Snellensoon a wry look.
"Speaking of luxury, you and the rest of the Legion Oranje rear echelon seem to have done rather well."

Snellensoon laughed then shrugged his shoulders.
"It wasn't my idea, although I must admit I didn't object very strongly when the Lithuanians offered us the use of this splendid castle in Palanga as a headquarters ." Snellensoon paused briefly.

"The castle has been damned useful, it's got plenty of space for our command staff and our stores of equipment, as well as the various maintenance and instructor personnel. The proximity to the warehouses in Palanga, and the seaport have proven quite suitable. The Lithuanians have even improvised us an air field with some of their engineering troops."

"And we need it, there are almost 3,000 of us here or in the field at the moment. I'm expecting our last drafts of volunteers to arrive in the next few days. So we will be looking at nearly 4,000 all told in the Legion Oranje."

"Are we really not expecting any more, sir?" Van Der Kade asked, his mind working out the details that would be necessary to see to if yet more volunteers had to be absorbed into the Legion Oranje's structure. He also considered what he'd need to do administratively if there weren't going to be replacement drafts. Snellensoon, shook his head.
"No. The word has come down, that what we have is all we are going to get for the present. I've made some...private... arrangements of my own, pulled a few strings and called in a few favours owed me to arrange some additional supplies, but we can't expect much." Van Der Kade nodded in return. He knew Snellensoon was a man of some influence in Dutch governmental and military affairs, but like all things their were limits to what even his connections could achieve.

"Defenses?" Van Der Kade asked deeply interested in this news.
"Some, what the Lithuanians can spare from their many committments to the three fronts. They've erected some light coastal artillery to cover the port, and some field artillery here at the castle, as well as some flak guns to cover everything. They've even detached a fighter squadron from Kaunas to keep an eye over us. It's all more then I think they can really spare, but I'm happy to have the assistance all the same. I've also had our people dig field fortifications and place bales of camo netting over everything in sight."
"Good. I didn't realize that things were that well organized." Van Der Kade mumured with approval.

"How are things in Vilnius? I received all your reports..." Snellensoon lifted a shelf of files and papers for emphasis. "These tell me a great deal but..."
"You'd get a great deal more from me first hand, eh?"
"Yes."

Van Der Kade, looked at his chief for a moment, then settled himself deeper in the chair. It gave him a little time to compose his thoughts.
"To put it shortly. It's hell on earth in Vilnius." Van Der Kade finally remarked. "And it's going to be worse if I'm one to judge."
"The detachment did well in it's assignments, hell we even captured a Wilno general and his staff, the commander of the their Guards division as a matter of fact."
"Hm. a Major-General Adam Popek, according to the Lithuanian Intelligence Service report I received on the event."
"Yes, that's the one. A decent enough fellow and a very determined and skilled fighter, sir. He was utterly exhausted and not a little dejected when we met, like the majority of his troops we captured. Hardly surprising in the circumstances. I made a point of commending his conduct to the Lithuanians, they agreed - they went as far as to return his sword to him after he'd surrendered to us."

"I have heard reports that at least two other Wilno general officers were captured." Snellensoon remarked over his drink. Van Der Kade nodded, checking through his notes, he found the relevent entry.
"Yes, Major-General Plontek, CO - 6th Infantry Division, and --" Van Der Kade tapped the page for emphasis. "Lieutenant-General Halwic, CO - Army of the North."
"How many Wilno troops were captured in Vilnius? The newspapers don't say very much about."
"Well, we captured about 900 prisoners all told, most of them after we took part in the final assault on the Wilno Guards Division headquarters. I don't know what the grand total was, the Central and Northeastern Front staffs were still tabulating it when I left."
"I imagine that made an impression on the Lithuanians."
"Yes it did, a rather surprising one." Van Der Kade said almost to himself, his eyes thoughtful.
"How so?" Snellensoon asked his interest piqued by his chief-of-staff's expression.
"Well, it's hard to explain.... you'd expect a certain amount of distance, of even distrust or dislike - we are after all foreigners working in a foreign land, in a civil war in which we have very little stake - yet, the Lithuanians have been more often then not cordial, attentive to our suggestions, accomodating to our needs whatever their own concerns." Van Der Kade paused, taking a sip of his drink.
"We're outsiders, yet rather then being jealous of our achievements in their service, their actually rather proud of us. I think it's because although we are outsiders, we're outsiders who are on their team. And that matters a great deal to them."

"What were our losses?" Snellensoon asked returning the conversation to the business at hand. Although he was still considering Van Der Kade's comments, they tallied with many of his own experiences her in the rear areas. Snellensoon sat, sipping his drink thoughtfully as he waited for Van Der Kade's response.
"Not as bad as I'd have expected considering the heavy fighting we got into. At least while I was there, I've no idea how Van Der Slagt is fairing - although he has something like a full battalion while I had at most a reinforced company so I think he'll find things a trifle easier then I did - but I'm sure he'll let us know the minute he has time to put pen to paper." Van Der Kade puffed on his cigarette again for a few minutes, then continued.
"At any rate, we lost at least five tanks disabled, but repairable in the field workshop. Two more were so badly damaged that we'll have to practically rebuild them before we can use them again. Amoung our infantry we had twenty-five dead, and fifty-three wounded, and two reported missing. Our tank and armoured car crews came off rather more lightly all things considered with three dead and five wounded."
"The artillery?" Snellensoon asked compared notes that he was jotting down, with the filed reports.
"Six dead, five wounded and one missing." Van Der Kade finished, looking up from the figures marked down in his own notebook.
"We also lost one of the guns the Lithuanians lent us to counter-battery fire."

This post has been edited 5 times, last edit by "Agent148" (Feb 16th 2008, 7:17am)

Kaiser Kirk

Lightbringer and former European Imperialist

Saturday, February 16th 2008, 5:27am

Love the Cav in the rear :)
Sounds like a very bloody engagement, far more than folks hoped for.
Of course the LON talks on.

Sunday, February 17th 2008, 2:09am

Record of the Polish-Lithuanian Insurrection - July 18th, 1935

July 18th, 1935:

With Polish and Wilno forces in retreat from the environs of Vilnius, the Lithuanian and Russian forces took time to consolidate their position and assess their losses. Lithuanian mounted scouts were ordered to shadow the Polish divisions as they moved southwards, but to avoid combat except in self-defense. The pugnaciousness in both attack and defense of the Polish divisions - in particularly the 20th Infantry Division - had left a deep impression on the minds of the Lithuanian Central Front's unit commanders.

Lt.General Jasunski, lead his battered units away from Vilnius by a winding southwardly route, managing to break and avoid further contact with Lithuanian scouts trying to shadow him. He and the 3rd Wilno Division marched quickly to rejoin the other divisions of the Army of the Northeast. Maj.General Kawecha appraised Jasunski of developments with the Army of the Northeast and the Northeastern Front that had occured in his self-enforced absence. Lithuanian General Vimieris had moved his troops towards the Amantas Line, the Lithuanian I and II Rifle Corps now menaced the Wilno units defending Amantas. While the three field corps screened the Army of the Northeast's current position.

Supplies and the 1st Wilno Division had now joined the Army of the Northeast, helping rectify some of the Wilno army's immediate needs, although the Army's ammunition stockpiles where still far from satisfactory, they were at least less dire then formally. Jasunski explained to his other officers the results of the 3rd Division's attempted offensive. The Army Reserve units had suffered badly in the attack, the 7th Ulans being particularly hard hit (taking casualties on the order of 630 killed, wounded or missing out of 900 soldiers on establishment), the two rifle battalions (they had suffered 250 killed, wounded, or missing in the 1st Rifles, and 325 killed, wounded or missing in the 2nd Rifles, both out of an establishment of 500 men). The Reserve Artillery had come out fairly lightly compared to the other units despite the heavy fighting, although it had completely run out of ammunition (the 1st Reserve Artillery had lost only 52 men killed, wounded or missing out of an establishment of nearly 200 men but had also lost five 75-mm field pieces either to enemy action or during the hurried retreat). The losses in the 3rd Wilno Division were hardly better, then the Army Reserves.

Jasunski considered whether a third offensive towards Vilnius was possible to mount with the divisions at his disposal. His other options were to retreat behind the Amantas Line, or turn and attack the advancing units of the Lithuanian Northeastern Front. Having already pushed his luck to the breaking point, Jasunski decided that discretion was called for now, his divisional commanders agreed, and the order was given to fall back on the Amantas Line.

Marshal Letowska on learning of Lt.General Jasunski's decision is diappointed by the results, but not particularly surprised by Jasunski's sudden caution after his bout of recklessness. Marshal Letowska agrees with the Army of the Northeast's decision to retire to better defended ground within the Amantas Line. He and the Wilno Army General Staff turn their attention to the possiblility of offensive action on another front. The use of the Army of the South in some constructive local offensive against the Lithuanians is upper most in the Wilno Army's minds.

The defeat and southward withdrawal of the Polish intervention force, is a blow to the Wilno Republic's prospects, and Marshal Letowska and his advisors are deeply troubled by what this development will mean for Wilno. At the least, they expect Lithuanians to be emboldened by the considerable military success, and perhaps launch other offensives similar to the all too largely successful Operation Gediminas against Wilno Army units in the field.

Marshal Letowska is informed by the General-Secretariat for Foreign Affairs of proceedings within the League of Nations in Geneva. No one in the Wilno Government is surprised that they League is still bickering about the crisis, nor that it's attention has momentarily been side-tracked onto other issues. Still Letowska and his Council of Government is hopeful some sort of political settlement can be brokered out with the League of Nations. He authorizes the acting ambassador in Geneva to make another try, at gaining a cease-fire and to provisionally accept any result in the Wilno Republic's name, providing a satisfactory reply is made by Lithuania on the matter.

This post has been edited 4 times, last edit by "Agent148" (Feb 17th 2008, 6:36am)

Sunday, February 17th 2008, 4:43am

Marshal Letowska's Headquarters, Amantas, Wilno Republic

Wilno Governmental Staff Meeting:

Present:

Marshal Aleksy Letowska, President and C-in-C of the Republic of Wilno
Anzelm Bazala, Premier
Leon Diachuk, General-secretary for Foreign Affairs
Bialas Kirszenstein, General-secretary for Military Affairs
Stefan Traczyk, General-secretary for Public Security and the Interior

Marshal Aleksy Letowska looked tiredly at the most essential members of his Council of Government, assembled around the table they looked back at him with a tiredness equal to his own.

Bazala, Wilno's first premier, practical as ever go things started, even though he probably didn't want to and was as disheartened by the recent news from the the Vilnius Theater.

"I'm afraid, that things aren't looking to hopeful at the moment, Aleksy. We'd certainly been expecting a better out come, but..."

Kirszenstein looked up from his piles of notes and reports, and shrugged there was no use understating the bleakness of Wilno's military future.
"This Russian intervention was unexpected both by us and seemingly by the Polish Military Intelligence. From the Lithuanian point of view, it's certainly been a well played card and given them a good return."

He paused and considered some of his papers.
"I don't think we can expect much more help from the Polish Army after this, perhaps some diplomatic support but certainly little direct military aid. The involvement of the Russians in this affair will make it too risky for the Polish government to consider."

Leon Diachuk, didn't look happy about that statement although he obviously agreed with Kirszenstein's assessment.

"I'm afraid, I can't disagree with Bialas, Aleksy. I'm holding out some hope that we can get something out of the League of Nations, but Ambassador Tarkowski hasn't been very optimistic about our chances of coming away with a cease-fire that is conductive to our long-term national aspirations."

Letowska nodded in silent agreement then looked at his newly appointed general-secretary for Security and the Interior. Stefan Traczyk, was the second most powerful of Letowska's councilors, and after the Wilno Army the second pillar of the Wilno Republic's strength.

"Things aren't going the way we'd hope in the municipalities either. Continued recruitment, viable taxation and the supply of essentials both for the civil and military administrations is going down. My agents and officers inform me that we are steadily loosing public support for this war with our population."

"I've cracked down on the worse dissenters and defeatists, but our few prisons are now full to exploding, and we're filling quite a few graveyards as well with the executions and reprisals I've had to order." Traczyk ignored Bazala sick look at that comment and went on. "The administrative wheels are going to come off soon, economically, militarily and before long politically if we don't stop the fighting for even a short period." Tracyzk remarked quietly.

"And with do deference to the stirling efforts of our General-secretary Kirszenstein, we're lossing this war." Tracyzk raised a hand as he watched Kirszenstein bristle in his seat. "I realize you made considerable efforts to make the Wilno Army a going concern, Bialas. I think you and your people have in general accomplished amazing things in a short time and under often impossible constraits. But let's face it, we are lossing this war, as much due to disloyal factions inside our own armies as to what the Lithuanians are doing to us in the field."

"Disloyal factions...." Kirszenstein mouthed quietly, his eyes narrowed. "Just what are you suggesting?!"

"I think this council must take serious precaution against the possiblility of internal revolt, particularly within the Army of the South."

Bazala's eyes had widened as well as this remark.
"Stefan are you seriously suggesting that Lieutenant-General Waclaw, would in the midst of this conflict try and over throw this government?!"

Traczyk nodded silently in response to the question of the Wilno premier. Marshal Letowska frowned deeply this was a development that he hadn't expected, he had hand picked most of his people, had been sure of their loyalities and committment to the realization of the Wilno Republic. But if this was true, it seemed that Tadeusz Waclaw had changed his mind. Why , Letowska thought. Had the Lithuanians gotten to him? Or perhaps was it the loss of so many of his troops and his good friends Teodor Rybak, Alfred Halwic and Cyril Plontek? Letowska didn't know the answer to that question, and realized he probably wouldn't like the answer if he did.

He looked fixedly at Traczyk when he finally spoke.
"What do you propose we do about it?"

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Agent148" (Feb 17th 2008, 5:43am)

Sunday, February 17th 2008, 7:19am

Marshal Letowska's Headquarters, Amantas, Wilno Republic

Wilno Governmental Staff Meeting - Cont'd:

Present:

Marshal Aleksy Letowska, President and C-in-C of the Republic of Wilno
Anzelm Bazala, Premier
Leon Diachuk, General-secretary for Foreign Affairs
Bialas Kirszenstein, General-secretary for Military Affairs
Stefan Traczyk, General-secretary for Public Security and the Interior

Stefan Traczyk shifted slightly in his chair, under the unblinking gaze of the Marshal of Wilno. He chose his next words with some care.

"My people within the Army of the South, have suspicious that Waclaw's command has been faulty because he has no faith in the longevity of the Wilno Republic. He may be placing himself in a good position to retreat into Poland if things go bad for us."

"He might also be placing himself in easy striking distance of the new provisional capital at Vaskes." Kirszenstein murmurred almost to himself. He realized that he had spoken the thought aloud, and expanded on it.

"After all it's only defended by -- what? Two battalions?" Kirszenstein asked, Traczyk considered the question for a moment, then spoke from memory.

"Yes, the 17th Letowska Guards, and the 6th Civil Guards Battalions."

"If he made a quick advance on the town with even only one of his divisions, or even a detached brigade, he'd easily over run the defenses."

"I can't believe we're actually having this discussion?!" Diachuk said in patent disbelief.

"It wouldn't be the first time a revolution or revolt was betrayed from within, Leon." Kirszenstein remarked gently to his shaken collegue.

"If this is so, then what to we do to prevent it?" Letowska snapped suddenly.

"We could relieve, Waclaw, and replace him with Major-General Kawecha, Jasunski's spoken very highly of his skills, and he's widely respected in the Army as a intelligent and determined fighter." Kirszenstein said with a considering expression. "But that would leave a hole in the divisional commands of the Army of the Northeast."

"And we're fresh out of even partially qualified divisional officers at the moment." Traczyk said disgustedly. "The best we have, are already in commands, or are dead or have captured by the Lithuanians."

"We could dissolve one the divisions assigned to the Army of the Northeast, use it to reinforce the other divisions." Bazala suggested, Kirszenstein made a face at that idea. "I think it would be best to leave that decision to Jasunski and his staff, I'll take it over with him as soon as possible."

"Alright, we remove Lieutenant-General Waclaw, and leave him awaiting orders in Vaskes --" Letowska began harshly, seeing his fellows expression at his decision. "Under Letowska Guards protective custody, Stefan, so don't start panicing." We then dispatch Lieutenant-General Bogdan Kawecha as new commander-in-chief of the Army of the South, as soon as he arrives back in the Amantas Line."

"Hm, Jasunski estimates he'll be back in the Line by the 19th at the earliest with all four of his divisions. It will take Kawecha about two to three days to get the headquarters of the Army of the South another two days after that." Kirszenstein jotted down some quick notes. "So, Kawecha will be able to take command by July 20th, at the earliest."

"Can we rely on the Lithuanians being inactive that long?" Diachuk asked carefully.

"No. But they seem to be involved in a great deal of consolidation of their positions in Vilnius and elsewhere, even their advance on the Amantas Line has stopped for the time being." Kirszenstein responded.

"How about the diplomatic front?" Letowska asked Diachuk with a questioning look.

"Hm, I don't really know if we can expect much as I mentioned before, Tarkowski's not optimistic about things, he'll try his damnedest but the League of Nations will do what it want, when it wants."

"If the League of Nations does get the cease-fire proposals settled and a task force on the ground here, we are going to be in trouble. You remember the proposals demanded we disarm under League supervision." Traczyk, remarked to Diachuk.

"If that is what is required to ensure our survival as a state for just a while longer, then we do it." Letowska said firmly. "Traczyk, Kirzsenstein. I want the you to advance the mobilization of the secret special battalions project we outlined in our last staff discussion, they have to be selected, armed and ready to go into action at any time -- especially after the League of Nations Task Force gets here, and we're effectively disarmed."

"Marshal, I've, and Bialas, have selected and vetted the necessary volunteers and secret drafts from Wilno Army units and the Letowska Guards. I've picked only the most loyal and idealogically committed people from our ranks, but their numbers are not great, only a few hundred at the moment. We hope to improve that with time. Kirszenstein only has a limited arsenal to arm them properly with, given the urgent needs of our field troops, so those special volunteers we've got are only partially equiped."

"Use the secret emergency caches then." Letowska retorted. Both general-secretaries looked at each other for a moment, they obviously didn't like that particular idea. But after a moment Traczyk nodded in agreement, and a few seconds later, Kirszenstein did as well.

"Good. Gentlemen, I won't keep you any longer in discussion, I know you all have things you need to see to." Marshal Letowska said quietly as he rose from his chair. "I recommend we hold our next meeting in Vaskes. I see no further purpose of us holding court here in Amantas."

This post has been edited 6 times, last edit by "Agent148" (Feb 17th 2008, 8:26am)

Kaiser Kirk

Sunday, February 17th 2008, 6:04pm

RE: Marshal Letowska's Headquarters, Amantas, Wilno Republic

Quoted

Originally posted by Agent148
I want the you to advance the mobilization of the secret special battalions project we outlined in our last staff discussion, they have to be selected, armed and ready to go into action at any time -- especially after the League of Nations Task Force gets here, and we're effectively disarmed.

And here I thought Gorillas were native to Africa.

Sunday, February 17th 2008, 11:48pm

Lithuanian National News Service

July 19th, 1935:

The Lithuanian Government in a surprise announcement has suspended further field operations against the Wilno Insurrectionists for the immediate future. The Lithuanian Foreign Office commented that this was being done so as not to prejudice League of Nations cease-fire debates, and speed the formation of a LoN Peace keeping task force.

This move is considered by the Lithuanian Government as a prelude to the establishment of an offical cease-fire, however the suspension of operations does not constitute an offical cease-fire in and of it self. All Lithuanian Armed Forces units in the field are still on full alert and have standing orders to take any effective military action required against any aggressive moves by Wilno Insurrectionists forces.

At present it is unknown to Lithuanian authorities if the Insurrectionists will make a similar move to comply with the suggested League of Nations cease-fire. Although monitoring of the movements of their troops by ground and air reconnaissance units, indicate that their principal armies: the Army of the Northeast and the Army of the South, are falling back into prepared positions known as the Amantas and Adomas Lines.

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "Agent148" (Feb 17th 2008, 11:55pm)

Sunday, February 17th 2008, 11:54pm

"The Atlantean government strongly urges Wilno and Polish forces to take the opertunity to do the same".

Sunday, February 17th 2008, 11:57pm

Bulgaria seconds the Atlantean sentiments and remarks that further Polish and Wilno actions would most likely have repercussions at the peace table.

Monday, February 18th 2008, 12:00am

The Romanian government (for once) agrees with the Atlantean government and very strongly urges the Polish and Wilno forces to take this opportunity and agree to the proposed cease-fire. The Romanian government also commends the Lithuanian government for taking the initiative and preparing to halt the fighting. Should the Polish and Wilno forces reject this obvious offer of an olive branch, then the Romanian government will be most displeased with them.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "TheCanadian" (Feb 18th 2008, 12:02am)

Kaiser Kirk

Monday, February 18th 2008, 12:01am

Herr Grootveld : The Netherlands commends the Lithuanian Government on this proactive move.

Monday, February 18th 2008, 12:32am

Quoted

Originally posted by thesmilingassassin
"The Atlantean government strongly urges Wilno and Polish forces to take the opertunity to do the same".

Monday, February 18th 2008, 2:02am

Record of the Polish-Lithuanian Insurrection - July 19th, 1935

July 19th, 1935:

The Lithuanians having decided to halt operations against the Insurrectionist for political considerations, the Ministries of National Defense and Interior Affairs turn their consideration to sorting out their troops administrative, organizational and logistical concerns.

Casualty and current unit establishment and equipment lists are prepared and scutinized, replacements are absorbed into units, promotion and awards lists are also compiled. Intelligence reports from various sources are examined and filed for future consideration. Some planning for renewed anti-insurrection operations are considered at Front General Staff levels, but most attention is devoted to various pre-cease-fire considerations.

Marshal Letowska after long delaying his transfer to the new provisional capital - because of the state of affairs near the Amantas Line - moves himself and his staff to Vaskes, and consults with the re-united Council of Government and the First Parliment. Hopes within some factions of the Wilno Government are high that negoiations in the League of Nations will provide a means for the Wilno Republic to survive, as it's military options are becoming increasingly highly limited.

Lt.General Tadeusz Waclaw protests the orders detailing his removal from command of the Army of the South, but the presence of an escort of heavily armed Letowska Guards convinces him to accept the situation. A somewhat baffled and newly promoted Lt.General Bogdan Kawecha, hastely briefed by the General-Secretariat for Military Affairs arrives well ahead of schedule at the Army of the South's headquarters at Adomas. A new officer, Maj.General Sidor Malecka has been appointed to the command of the 2nd Infantry Division following Kawecha's reassignment to army command.

Kawecha after been appraised of the status of the Army of the South's three divisions and army reserve units, and the various offensive and defensive plans developed by the Army of the South's General Staff, decides to suspend an offensive operations against the Lithuanian Southwestern Front for the time being. Kawecha, made aware of the fact that the Lithuanians have temporarily halted their own field operations is mindful of the political and military consequences of further fighting before the cease-fire goes fully into effect.

Both Lt.Generals Jasunski and Kawecha press the Wilno Government for assurances that the Wilno Republic will make some open move to acknowledge the Lithuanian gesture and move towards effecting the proposed cease-fire. Both army commanders are aware that they have not recieved instructions to halt offensive operations against Lithuanian units, only to withdraw to their respective defensive lines. Both men are puzzeled when the Wilno Government gives them no decided reply.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Agent148" (Feb 18th 2008, 3:10am)

Monday, February 18th 2008, 3:49am

Marshal Letowska's Headquarters, Vaskes, Wilno Republic

Marshal Letowska considered the expectent faces of the men around him, the entire Wilno Republican government was here, the full council of government, the delegates of the First Parliment and the commanders-in-chief of the Armies of the Northeast and the South.

"Gentlemen, I think we are agreed that at the moment a cease-fire between our republic and Lithuania is our best bet. The Lithuanian government has much to our surprise made some positive gestures in that regard. I think it is essential that we reciprocate."

"To that end with the agreement of the General-secretariat for Military Affairs, I have ordered the principal armies of the Wilno Republic to halt all operations outside the area that we currently have effective control. This is a grievous necessity, but it has to be faced. We can hope that negiotations at the peace table, providing that this cease-fire prospers, will allow Wilno to combine all the municipalities that we consider part of our community under one united banner."

"I have been assured by our army commanders that they can have a general stand down of our units provisionally in place by midnight on the 21st of July. I sincerely hope that the League of Nations will find this an acceptable condition. Due to political difficulties our ambassador has experienced problems with acting as an intermidary for our interests. Never the less, he is working diligently on the matter, and we have every reason to believe he will be successful."

"I would like you all to take your vote on the final acceptance of the League of Nations proposals, this is I warn a straight yes or no vote. Yes for acceptance, No for refusal. Bear in mind the consequences of either vote, gentlemen."

Marshal Letowska walked to the voting box, picked up a slip of paper, quickly marked his vote upon it - his decision was concealed from the others by a small protective blind set up on the table, and slipped the now folded paper into the box. He then stepped away and nodded to the others. One by one, the members of the Wilno Republic's government walked to the table, made their votes. When the last of them had done so, one of Letowska's aides took the box, emptied it's contents onto another screened table and quietly counted out the resultings tally. The tension in the room was a palpable thing.

Monday, February 18th 2008, 3:52am

The tension in the thread is a palpable thing! What was the vote? Don't leave us hanging! ;(

Monday, February 18th 2008, 4:12am

Wilno Republican News Service

The Wilno Republican government announced that it would be voting in closed session on the night of the 19/20th July, 1935 on whether to agree to begin enacting the League of Nations cease-fire proposals. The vote reportedly involved the President/Marshal Aleksy Letowska, the premier and all eleven general-secretaries, the twenty-two delegates of the First Parliment as well as the two army commanders-in-chief.

According to a following governmental announcement, the vote for final acceptance or refusal of the League of Nations sponsored cease-fire was twenty-six votes for acceptance, and eleven votes for refusal.

Marshal Letowska was heard to comment that as this decision represented a clear majority of the thirty-seven casting votes, in favour of acceptance, he intended to authorize the Wilno Ambassador to the League of Nations in Geneva to formally accept the League's proposals in full.

This post has been edited 3 times, last edit by "Agent148" (Feb 18th 2008, 4:20am)

Monday, February 18th 2008, 9:54pm

Record of the Polish-Lithuanian Insurrection - July 20th, 1935

July 20th, 1935:

The Lithuanians work throughout the day to place the equipement, horses, vehicles and men of the Russian 16th Rifle and 7th Cavalry Corps, and the 9th Gun and 19th, 22nd and 34th Howitzer Artillery Brigades upon Lithuanian National Railway trains. Their mission accomplished, the Russian troops are making ready to return home. Russian wounded are carefully transfered by Lithuanian medics and doctors to special hospital cars, while those to critically injuried in the heavy fighting in Vilnius to be immediately and safely moved are transfered to Lithuanian civil and military hospitals until they are considered stable. They will return to Russia on later trains.

General-leutnant Lechitskiy, and all the staffs and commanders of the Russian Relief Force are invited to Kaunas, by President Smetona and the Seimas to attend a parade and state dinner held in their and their troops honor. President Smetona makes a point of personally decorating many of the Russian officers and men in the presence of the Russian Federation ambassador.

Many Lithuanian citizens both in Vilnius, Kaunas and the various towns and villages in the countryside give the departing Russian troops a warm send-off as they pass through on their train ride home.

In the meantime, Lithuanian troops in the field along the forming cease-fire line watch and wait, keeping an eye on the movements and deployments of Wilno troops doing the same thing on their side of the line. The Lithuanian I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, and X Field Corps backed up by the Lithuanian Army, Cavalry and Rifle Corps had been spreadout along roughly the edge of Lithuanian territory that the Insurrectionists actually controlled. The Reserve Corps, Vilnius Corps and XI Field Corps were assigned to guard duties within Vilnius. The former units were placed under the control of the Northeastern and Southwestern Fronts, while the units in Vilnius were placed under the control of the Central Front.

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "Agent148" (Feb 18th 2008, 10:59pm)

Tuesday, February 19th 2008, 12:05am

New Presidential Palace, Vilnius, Lithuania

President Smetona looked around the room, he was mildly surprised the palace was intact, considering the violent fighting that had gone on around it and often in it, since the Insurrection had begun. Putting that thought aside, Smetona turned his attention back to the three Lithuanian generals who stood rigidly at attention before him, in his offical state office. Emil Vimieris, Feliks Baltusis-Ziemaitis, and Pranas Tamassaulo, the commanders of the Northeastern, Southwestern and Central Fronts respectively.

"Gentlemen at ease. I want to thank you gentlemen for you and your men's efforts to date. They are much appreciated by the people of Lithuania and by this government."

"Thank you, your excellency." Vimieris answered, the other two nodded in agreement.

"What are our orders now? The Ministries haven't been very forthcoming at the moment as to what we are to do, now." Baltusis-Ziemaitis suddenly spoke a look of concern in his eyes. Smetona understood what underlined that concern, the cease-fire didn't bode well for Lithuania, the possiblility that the Insurrectionists might be able to parley it into a settlement that granted them independence or worse annexation to Poland had to be uppermost in these three mens minds. That was hardly surprising, it was uppermost in most of the members of government and the Seimas's minds as well, but at the moment Lithuania didn't have too many options but to accept the situation. Although, Smetona thought, if I have anything to say about it - a temporary one. Assuming I'm still in office after August that is.

"Until further notice gentlemen, you are not to take any aggressive action against the Insurrectionists, if they try to cross the cease-fire line, then that is another thing and you are free to use your own judgement on how to deal with that situation if and as it developes."

"Understood." Vimieris, Baltusis-Ziemaitis and Tamassaulo said practically in unison. Smetona almost smiled at that, but kept his lips firmly under control.

"Can we rely on further Russian support?" Tamassaulo asked.

"For the time being no, their units are being withdraw as per the conditions of the cease-fire proposal. International tensions over the June Insurrection are high enough as it is without throwing more fuel onto the flames, and for all practical purposes they've already achieved what they were sent here to do - keep the Poles from crossing over our doorsteps." Smetona replied. "On the other hand, if Poland tries another military intervention, I have been assured by the Russian ambassador and foreign minister that their country's military forces will be more then ready to met Polish aggression towards Lithuania as may be required."

"Before you return to your commands, I am making some changes to the command structure with the agreement of the ministries." Smetona continued after a brief pause. "Vimieris, Baltusis-Ziemaitis, your Fronts will now be the front line opposite the Insurrectionist, while the Central Front is pulled back to act as a reserve."

"From now on, the Central Front will also be considered the senior command headquarters, the other two fronts will be subordinated to it's staff. I assume that neither of you two gentlemen have a problem with this?" Smetona's comment was not voiced as a question. Vimieris shrugged silent acceptance, while Baltusis-Ziemaitis frowned for a long moment before nodding curt agreement. Tamassaulo watching this exchange quietly let out a breath, he hadn't been made aware of this administrative change, and felt relief that his two brother officers hadn't been too put off by it.

"One other thing gentlemen." Smetona said, signalling to Brig.General Apanivicus, who stepped forward with a polished wood case under his arm. He held it up, and snapped the varnished lid open. Smetona reached into it and lifted very careful, an ornate rod from a black velvet bed. Which he then passed to a stunned Pranas Tamassaulo. He dimmly felt Vimieris pound his shoulder in enthusiastic congradulation, of Baltusis-Ziemaitis offering his words of congratulation.

"Congratulations, Field Marshal Tamassaulo." Smetona said solemnly, as he pressed the marshal's baton into Tamassaulo's hands.

This post has been edited 5 times, last edit by "Agent148" (Feb 19th 2008, 12:17am)

Tuesday, February 19th 2008, 1:46am

Record of the Polish-Lithuanian Insurrection - July 21st, 1935

July 21st, 1935:

Newly promoted Lithuanian Field Marshal Pranas Tamassaulo quickly moves to get a grasp on his new responsiblilities and deal with the difficulties the Lithuanian Armed Forces faces against the Wilno Insurrectionists. Tamassaulo decides to keep the Front organization but some rearrangement of the units under each Front is done. The Northeastern Front under General Emil Vimieris, has the II, IV, V, VII, VIII Field Corps, I and II Rifle Corps, II Cavalry Corps. The Southwestern Front under General Feliks Baltusis-Ziemaites, has I, III, VI, IX, X Field Corps, I and II Army Corps, I Cavalry Corps. While the Central Front now under the command of General Klemes Papieliushko, has the Vilnius Corps, Reserve Corps, and XI Field Corps.

Field Marshal Tamassaulo makes his headquarters in the New Presidential Palace, in Vilnius. Military and civil construction and engineering units are already at work within the city making assessments of the damage, removing rubble and demolishing buildings to ruined to stand, while laying the ground work for new construction. Some of the Vilnius refugees begin to filter back into the city, which to many of it's inhabitants is a sorry sight, a blackened, twisted ruin in all too many places. Soon however a semblence or normal city life begins to take shape as people stubbornly take back their city and their disrupted lives, shops and businesses reopen either within their normal buildings if they are still sound or under army provided canvas shaped into tents and pavillions. Trains bearing essential supplies and building materials begin to arrive with increasing frequency, as to motor columns bearing the same materials, as many of the barricades are broken apart by hand or shovelled aside by bulldozers.

Tamassaulo orders the units along the cease-fire line to begin constructing a series of fortified strong points and border crossing points, on the Lithuanian side of the line. The various troops and reassigned frontier guards, quickly dub their quickly emerging positions the Anatanas Line in honor of President Smetona.

In Wilno territory, Lt.Generals Jasunski and Kawecha, the commanders of the Armies of the Northeast and the South are doing much the same thing, although with much less manpower and materials to work with their emerging positions on their side of the informal cease-fire line are far less extensive or impressive. For the most part they concentrate their efforts on keeping their troops busy within the Amantas and Adomas Lines, waiting for the League of Nations Task Force to be organized and arrive in strength to oversee the administration and occupation of Wilno Republican territory.

Neither general is happy about the way things have developed but they support the cease-fire as Wilno's best option. Not all their men believe as they do however and both have had to crackdown on potential mutiny within their divisions and support units. Which of course is doing nothing for the Letowska or Civil Guards already dire reputations amoung the Wilno Republic's populace and soldiery.

Marshal Letowska however is confident that his government can ride out the political, militiary and economic storm that they are facing providing the cease-fire goes well. Nevertheless they have laid plans and put certain preparations in hand, just in case that it doesn't.

Tuesday, February 19th 2008, 3:40pm

Lithuanian National News Service

July 22nd, 1935:

The Lithuanian Government announces that preparations to recieve the League of Nations cease-fire task force, under the command of the Turkish General Kazim Orbay, are under way. Depots and camps are being constructed at Klaipeda to provide the LoN troops with a staging and supply point while enroute to the disputed Wilno region. A secondary LoN Task Force staging and supply point is being constructed near the city of Vilnius.

The arrival of the mixed Belgian-German-Bulgarian-Turkish-Canadian (a Nordish contingent is also expected to join the task force) force is expected throughout late July, and possibly early August, as the various contingents are assembled in their respective countries and shipped out to Lithuania by air, rail and sea.

To date, neither Lithuanian or Insurrectionist forces have violated the temporary truce that is in effect, and hopes are entertained that this state of affairs will continue until the League of Nations Task Force arrives in strength.

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "Agent148" (Feb 20th 2008, 7:42am)