You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Sunday, February 20th 2011, 1:14pm

August 6
The board of Fairey Aviation Ltd has decided to join the AIRCO conglomerate with de Havilland and Handley Page. Fairey will become the main naval supplier of AIRCO, fulfilling the role that Gloster performs within Hawker Siddeley and Supermarine within Vickers-Supermarine. Rumoured talks between Bristol and Fairey seem to have stumbled as to setting up a joint venture like AIRCO and it is thought that Sir Frederick Handley Page has offered a better financial deal for the company.

August 23
The Short Sunderland MR.Mk.IV equipped with ASV Mk II radio-location equipment has entered service with 210 Squadron based at Pembroke Dock.

August 24
Howard Florey and his research team at the Sir William Dunn School of Pathology, University of Oxford, publish their laboratory results showing the in vivo bactericidal action of penicillin. They have also purified the drug and hope with further development to create a medicine from it.

Saturday, February 26th 2011, 6:37pm

August 27
Chancellor Adenauer has arrived at RAF Hendon near London today aboard a Lufthansa Focke Wulf Fw200C “Condor” airliner to begin his official three day visit to the Capital. Crowds has gathered outside the gates of the aerodrome and the Chancellor was driven in a new Daimler IV saloon to Chequers for an informal round of talks with the Prime Minister who is recovering from his recent bowel surgery. Chancellor Adenauer will be staying at Chequers during his visit.

August 28
The Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain and Chancellor Adenauer arrived at Downing Street this morning to begin a series of Cabinet talks. A large crowd were waiting and a quick press conference was held on the steps of No.10 along with a photo opportunity. It was the first time Mr Chamberlain has been seen in public since he left hospital after surgery. In the late afternoon Chancellor Adenauer was given a tour of the Houses of Parliament. This evening he will attend a Banquet in his honour before heading back to Chequers.

Extract from ‘British Foreign Policy since 1917’ by Professor G. Edwards, Oxford Press 1981
“Chancellor Adenauer’s visit in August 1940 was the first by a serving German Chancellor since before the Great War and in many ways had a bigger impact that the King’s tour of Germany earlier that year. Much of the groundwork of the discussions at Chequers and Downing Street that week had been laid during the King’s tour and the constant stream of reports between the embassy in Berlin and the German Foreign Office after the visit. The key topic was the alignment of the GNUK bloc as it was called, at that time Britain, Germany and Nordmark were bound by the non-aggression treaty discussed in Chapter Six.
Since 1938 Germany had exploded onto the world scene; she had sailed battlecruisers across the globe in 1940 for the first time since 1914, she had taken a hard-line stance against India and China and had begun to seek for herself a role in the Middle East. The Foreign Office under Eden was less suspicious of German aims but still this sudden rekindling of Weltmacht was unnerving in Whitehall. On the other side of the coin the constant nagging of doubts over NATO and its real contribution to world peace were still being felt. A new resurgent Germany could be the key player in replacing NATO. When the King visited Germany the informal discussions hinted at a future stronger alliance between the GNUK members in the future.
Although Eden and Adenauer discussed what form this new Alliance might take politically and economically during the August talks on the 28th the lack of favourable response from Nordmark stalled progress, but clear groundwork was laid. Indeed offers were made to make British naval bases open to German warships abroad in wartime and Britain agreed that Germany could be of assistance in protecting the Middle East if Asian expansion continued into the area. While both Adenauer and Chamberlain and Eden agreed on the rejection of Japanese claims to a twelve mile territorial water limit and a much larger economic zone and the joint muted response to the new Indian Government, there were some differences in opinion between the two.
During discussions on curbing “Persindian expansion” the recent re-equipment of the Persian Air Force was of particular concern to Germany. They had refused to sell any aircraft to Persia but Britain, to uphold her export market in Persia, had sold numbers of training aircraft but refused to sell armed aircraft. Britain felt far more aggrieved about the Long administration in America selling B-26 bombers to Persia so soon after selling a heavy cruiser. This would set in train the creation of new airbases in Iraq and more arms exports to Iraq but it was clear Germany felt Britain was soft on some issues. Eden privately wrote in his diary that night, “the German Chancellor was so concerned over his oil supplies in the Middle East but surely he knows it will be British blood that largely protects British oilfields. He can afford to be moral; we on the other hand have to handle this damn situation every day.” Eden’s private thoughts were clearly mixed towards German interest in Iraq and Arabia despite the official acceptance of Germany’s new world role.
The brewing war between China and the Philippines was also a concern. A war in the South China Sea could all too easily drag other countries into it, and would certainly be an adverse impact on peaceful trade. German trade in this area was relatively small, especially since the cooling of relations between Germany and China and India, but there was a solid pact of European nations (Germany being the sole non-SAER member) massing against any further Asian expansion into their Empires and economic spheres. As much as they decried Japan’s claims the European empires were unofficial de-facto economic blocs dominating Southeast Asia."

August 29
After a round of talks at Chequers in the morning Chancellor Adenauer met His Majesty the King today at Buckingham Palace for lunch. After lunch he was driven to Croydon airport where he was flown back to Germany.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Hood" (Feb 26th 2011, 6:38pm)

Sunday, March 13th 2011, 2:57pm

A select group had gathered in the Cabinet Office in No.10 Downing Street. The Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain was seated at the head of the table. In front of him were some pills and a glass of water. To his left sat Antony Eden, the Foreign Secretary and the First Lord of the Admiralty James Stanhope (The Earl Stanhope). Beyond them sat Sir Kingsley Wood the Chancellor of the Exchequer. On Mr Chamberlain’s right were the Chief of Air Staff Air Chief Marshal Sir Cyril Newall, First Sea Lord Admiral of the Fleet Roger Backhouse and the Commander of the Imperial General Staff (C.I.G.S.) General John Dill. It was a select meeting and Mr Eden got the proceedings going.

“Well gentlemen let us look at the current situation in the Middle East before proceeding to discuss the Far Eastern situation.” Anthony looked at the PM who was rubbing his stomach slightly looking pale and drawn. In the last few weeks his head looked very skull-like. He felt for him as he knew he was suffering in pain and that he only had months left to live. He seemed detached from the goings on in the room. Newell pulled out a buff folder and began leafing through the pages, he carefully selected one and removed it; “This is the latest air intelligence report on the Persian Air Force, they now have over a hundred and fifty DeBroek F-3P and the same amount of Nakajima Ki-43 fighters in service on or order. The items of main concern to us are ninety Martin A-21 bombers, forty Curtiss C-46 and twenty Douglas C-54 transports along with sixty Martin B-26 bombers. The transports imply a greater aerial mobility in the future for the Army and the much increased bomber force will be vastly superior by 1942. It poses a direct threat to our airfields in Iraq, any fleet units stationed there and it must be countered.” The PM sipped his water and then spoke, “It is a betrayal of the Long Administration to have sold the Persians those bombers, especially so soon after the sale of the cruiser. We need to show a firm hand in the face of these moves by the Indian puppets. We must stand firm if we are to convince the new military administration of India to uphold its word on the security of Iraq.” Antony chipped in, “We need to provide Iraq with enhanced security if only to reassure them and convince Persia not to act alone, if it can. Cyril, what steps could we take to counter these new bombers?” The Chief of the Air Staff pulled a leaf of paper from his folder, “New airfields are being constructed at Al Amarah, Al Jarrah, Balad near Baghdad and Rutba near the Jordanian border. Some of these were meant for the Iraqi Air Force but will take possession of all four. All will be fully equipped airfields equal to anything built in this country allowing us to station between eight and twelve more squadrons in Iraq. The Air staff believe the best counter to the bombers would be increased fighter defences, preferably with long-range types to strike at the Persian bomber airfields and destroy as many on the ground as possible. That would also require bombers like the Mosquito and the Buckingham. The ultimate defence will be to station a wing of four-engined heavy bombers in Iraq as a disincentive for Persia to begin bombing civilian targets in any possible future war. That decision though would need agreement from the cabinet to proceed.” The PM nodded, “I think that could be arranged easily enough, there are three Cabinet members present. Anthony, do you agree?” Eden needed no time to mull a decision, it was clear that Chamberlain wished to avoid including the entire cabinet in a decision that might prove controversial and secret. “Yes I agree.” “Good, Kingsley what do you say?” The Chancellor of the Exchequer was scribbling some notes down, “I trust the Iraqi government is aiding the payments of construction of these new airfields?” Newall nodded, “Well we can reimburse covertly if necessary. Very well, I’d say we have no choice but to employ more bombers to the region.” Newall seemed upbeat that he had made an impression and gotten his way so easily. Eden summed up, “These bombers will make a clear statement to both Persia and India that we intend to hold onto Iraq. I suggest the bombers are based nearer to Jordan, that might less threatening. Very well, Roger what can the Navy do?”

The Admiral coughed before he spoke, “Well we’ve created an Iraqi Navy, four old S Class destroyers and a Fox Class cruiser. That should prove an adequate coastal defence force. Plan Fortune is the current plan in the event of a Persian or Indian move into the Middle East. The whole idea is to bottle the Persian Fleet inside the Gulf by mining the Hormuz Straits and the batteries could repel any attempts to bypass them. We would stop oil convoys after the first few days of war so our light forces inside the Gulf can reduce the Persians piecemeal without being distracted by convoy work. In an case the Gulf is too exposed for convoys. Meanwhile the bulk of the fleet in the Med will form a plug the other side of the Strait. They will prevent a Persian breakout and most importantly will stop any Indian attack from the East or any landings in the Oman locale. The Persian Fleet will wither inside its trap.” “And my boys will sink whatever is left afloat,” Cyril chimed in, “and the Fleet Air Arm of course,” he muttered as Roger gave him an icy look. Roger continued, “Whatever happens the positions at Hormuz must be held. The Indians also face the threat of the Far Eastern Fleet so they can’t concentrate much force and if they can it will only be for a limited period. What will make the job easier of course is another set of coastal defences, more quick-firing guns and couple of additional 16.5in turrets.” Kingsley Wood seemed anxious at this last point, “Those works cost a fortune, why build more shore guns that can be bombed from Persia quite easily or stormed by a landing party? Surely those risks outweigh the effectiveness of another fortress?” Eden moved to see what the Army could offer, “John what plans are there for the Iraqi Army and could you hold Hormuz?” General Dill thumbed a small file, “The Iraqi Army currently has around 26,500 officers and men. By 1944 it is planned the Army will grow to 40,000 officers and men. Currently the Iraqi Army has eleven Infantry Battalions organized into four brigades, three Artillery Regiments which will all have 25pdr guns by 1942, one combat-proven independent anti-tank Brigade which in my view is superior to any such British formation, one Armoured Car Regiment and one Armoured Regiment with eighty Crusader tanks. We also plan to boost the AA defences of the Army by 1942 with heavy ack-ack guns. We could make the Armoured Regiment a Division by 1944 but of course we have two armoured divisions in Iraq and could have as many as five in position if enough warning is given. The Iraqi Army is too small to offer serious defence on its own and in my view its worth is yet to be proven. Likely they will be inferior to British units in combat despite our training but they could exact a toll on advancing forces. There is no point fortifying the border. My aim is to destroy the enemy in open mobile combat and defeat him before making a counter-attack. As Sir Wood pointed out my main concern is amphibious landings around the coast from Aden to Hormuz. The coast is wide open and Asir presents a diversion of effort and a possible threat to the Red Sea. We lack forces to adequately protect all of Arabia. I must ask for more manpower, withdrawing units from Baluchistan is an option.” The PM waved his hand, “We shall see, I’m sure something can be arranged to move some forces from Africa, we don’t want to appear weak in Baluchistan at this time and our allies there need our presence.” “Without a secure coastline our blockade would be impaired but the Navy would prevent any breakout and prevent any Indian reinforcements reaching Persia by sea”, Roger added to comfort any feelings of risk in the minds of the politicians. General Dill continued, “I would rather two more Brigades than another coastal battery. If those guns were taken they would be used to prevent our reinforcements and Navy from passing the Strait. An overland attack would take too long and the chance of us making a successful sea landing of our own seems remote.”

“The Germans promised us some help and it might be wise to see what they could bring to the table” Kingsley Wood added. Antony thought this would be unlikely, yes the Germans had offered help and had shown interest but that aid would take time to arrive and he knew it would be tricky for Germany to get the public support to send men and ships to the Middle East. “Well its early days yet, we cannot afford to skimp on our plans on assumptions like that” he added laconically. The PM took a pill. “Of course Persia is in disarray still and resentful of Indian rule and India herself is bogged down in Afghanistan to a degree. All that makes any short-term threat unlikely but the new military driven government may feel emboldened to act in the future. They may not have invaded Arabia last year because they felt we had the upper hand. We need to keep the upper hand, the more power we have at our disposal the less likely it is they will dare to act.” That was Eden’s summing up. The PM then forced a weak smile, “Very good, we ust hope our policy works as failure in the Middle East could doom the entire Empire. At a time when China is snapping at our heels we can’t afford to show a weak face.”

Thursday, March 17th 2011, 11:14pm

Two officers are walking across the apron at RAF Scampton towards the briefing room.

"Flight Lieutenant Gibson how many hours do you have on the new Brimingham?"
"Around a hundred and thirty Sir."
"I'm sending you and four other crews to Iraq. Your to fly from here to Gib to refuel, onto Malta and then Palestine before landing at Habbaniyah. You'll be there about a week on excercises at the bombing ranges and then you'll fly back via Egypt, with a stop-off there too."
"Sounds interesting Sir. When do we go?"
"Oh about a fortnight if we have no technical snags. You'd better train your group in long-range navigational excercises over water too. Get them up all day Gibson."
"I will Sir."

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Hood" (Mar 17th 2011, 11:20pm)

Thursday, March 17th 2011, 11:21pm

Gibson... Makes me think of

Thursday, March 17th 2011, 11:47pm

I doubt is the same guy. Get the joke. IOTL he was born in Simla so that makes the one in WW not the same person. Plus dam construction didn't start on earnest in Iran until the 1950's. I guess they are practicing how to destroy bridges in the Euphrates and Tigris while their troops retreat under the Persian steamroller. :rolleyes:

Friday, March 18th 2011, 12:00am

Quoted

Originally posted by perdedor99
I doubt is the same guy. Get the joke. IOTL he was born in Simla so that makes the one in WW not the same person.

Sure it would. He'd just have different childhood experiences, that's all.

Friday, March 18th 2011, 12:20am

I disagree. Too many butterflies at work. But beyond the point. It's Hood story so he can play it as he see it. Crossing the West Indian ocean to hit two dams?Makes for a dangerous and suicidal mission for not a lot of gain. And the response will not be well liked.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "perdedor99" (Mar 18th 2011, 12:21am)

Friday, March 18th 2011, 12:26am

Quoted

I disagree. Too many butterflies at work. But beyond the point. It's Hood story so he can play it as he see it. Crossing the West Indian ocean to hit two dams?Makes for a dangerous and suicidal mission for not a lot of gain. And the response will not be well liked.

?( ?( ?( ?( ?(

Friday, March 18th 2011, 12:43am

Quoted

I disagree. Too many butterflies at work.

I double-disagree. From what I can ascertain, the fellow was the son of two Brits stationed in India. In WW, they'd likely have been stationed elsewhere but otherwise gone ahead and raised a family. This would not be the worse case of handwaving we've had in WW, by far.

Friday, March 18th 2011, 1:10am

Quoted

Originally posted by ShinRa_Inc

Quoted

I disagree. Too many butterflies at work.

I double-disagree. From what I can ascertain, the fellow was the son of two Brits stationed in India. In WW, they'd likely have been stationed elsewhere but otherwise gone ahead and raised a family. This would not be the worse case of handwaving we've had in WW, by far.

I have to disagree and agree. IMO the butterflies come from pretty much prehistory. Like for example, who were the original inhabitants of Atlantis? And what is thei current language of Atlantis related to? But I agree that is not the worst case of handwaving.

And I'm probably wrong in regard to him anyway. His parent was a public servant and his mother stayed at home, with Guy Gibson been his youngest kid. So IMO it will not be the exact person but very close. Of course we have to wave the existance of an island in the Atlantic for at least a couple of thousands of years not affecting British history too much. :D

Friday, March 18th 2011, 1:17am

...By your logic, nothing OTL applies to WW, and thus Canada can go ahead and start building particle-cannon armed subs with magnetohydrodynamic drives.

Obviously, the vast majority of Wesworld prefers to follow OTL Baseline wherever possible, rather than obsess on complexity theory and attempt to ascertain the abstract deviations and adjustments your line of logic would lead to.

Friday, March 18th 2011, 1:21am

Quoted

...By your logic, nothing OTL applies to WW, and thus Canada can go ahead and start building particle-cannon armed subs with magnetohydrodynamic drives.

Sorry, I think Russia has dibs on Red October...

Friday, March 18th 2011, 1:22am

Quoted

Obviously, the vast majority of Wesworld prefers to follow OTL Baseline wherever possible, rather than obsess on complexity theory and attempt to ascertain the abstract deviations and adjustments your line of logic would lead to.

Seconded. Unless really compelling evidence to the contrary exists, then I always presume real OTL people exist.

Friday, March 18th 2011, 1:25am

Quoted

And I agree again. Easier to write about what we understand or is familiar than trying to come with a deviation that will be too difficult comprehend.

Friday, March 18th 2011, 1:27am

^concurs.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled British Empire News and commentary.

Friday, March 18th 2011, 1:26pm

I don't recal mentioning any dams.
In 1940 Gibson was serving with 83 Sqn, they are based at Scampton in my OOB and are re-equipping with the new Boulton Paul P.90 Brimingham. This is just a long-range navigation excercise with some tropical trials and a chance to get some time on the ranges without the hiderance of typical north-European weather.

Saturday, March 19th 2011, 6:29pm

September 18
Farnborough Week has been another success for the SBAC and has attracted a large crowd of late-summer enthusiasts and tourists. The talk of the week was the announcement last month that Fairey Aviation Ltd has decided to join the AIRCO conglomerate and the likely effects this will have on the British industry as a whole as it begins to solidify into three large groups. No less than twenty Spitfire Mk IIIs from 72 Squadron flew over for the first public open day in formation and they thrilled the crowds with some superb aerobatics. The RAE Flight Refuelling Flight also made a flypast twice during the week with a Whitley tanker hooked up and refuelling a Bristol Blenheim each time. Hawker had three fighters on its stand this year, the Typhoon IIA and Tornado IIA variants for the RAAF with four 20mm cannon each and the second prototype Tempest fighter was shown both statically and flown several times during the week showing its superb handling to good effect. Gloster’s SS.44 Reaper (based on the G.39 Gunner) also developed for the RAAF was on show statically. Basically a two-seat Gunner it is armed with four 20mm cannons and powered by Rolls-Royce Merlin engines. Westland had their new advanced high-altitude P.14 Welkin fighter on show in their display area but the cockpit canopy was kept locked shut and the aircraft did not fly at all. Vickers had the first production Wellington B.Mk.IV bomber in the New Types Display with the prototype undertaking spirited flying at the hands of ‘Mutt’ Summers during the public days.

All eyes however were on the monstrous Bristol Type 159 Manchester bomber prototype which flew several times from Filton over Farnborough during the week for the benefit of the press and public and once she landed and press were allowed to inspect the cockpit area. Bristol’s smaller bomber, the Type 163 Buckingham made a brief appearance for the press but was not shown during the public open days. Avro had a Type 683 Lancaster on display and it too made several flights during the week demonstrating some excellent low-flying abilities. De Havilland showed their new “wooden wonder” the sleek and very fast DH.98 Mosquito prototype which was present all week with flights every day and it proved that an unarmed bomber could indeed be faster than contemporary fighters. It sat very well in the New Types Park. De Havilland were also showing plans for an improved Flamingo II and gauging the response from the airlines. Fairey brought along an export Firefly fighter destined for Bulgaria. Of the smaller firms Percival was showing its line of small feederliners and light aircraft along with the P.30 Proctor II and the private-venture P.31 Preceptor. Miles was displaying the usual range of light aircraft with the prototype Miles M.28 Messenger in attendance and flown by George Miles himself. Taylorcraft (England) Ltd was showing their Taylorcraft Plus C powered by a 90hp Blackburn Cirrus Minor and the Weir W.6 helicopter made a few wobbly hops.

September 19
Just after midday the sleek Blackburn B.28 prototype serialled X8500, took off on its maiden flight. It made several circuits of the airfield and retracted and lowered the undercarriage and made several gentle turns before landing.
The Blackburn B.28 has been developed alongside the Bristol Type 163 from an abortive twin-engined torpedo-bomber design. It is a twin-engined bomber with twin fins and is powered by two Rolls-Royce Griffon inline engines for a maximum speed of 400mph at 18,000ft. A quad machine-gun dorsal turret could be fitted but maximum speed would drop and Blackburn prefers a new streamlined twin .50in turret currently under development by Boulton Paul or to omit defensive guns altogether like the de Havilland Mosquito. Only one prototype B.28 has been ordered for trials and it seems unlikely it will enter frontline service instead of the well-armed Bristol Type 163 and the Mosquito will soon already be established in service. Blackburn does however have a large export order for the B.28 bomber to Brazil.

September 22
Neville Chamberlain today drove to Buckingham Palace to tender his resignation as Prime Minister due to his ill health. Now the 1922 Committee will meet to choose as successor in the Conservative Party to serve as the new leader and PM.

Saturday, March 19th 2011, 7:14pm

Quoted

Blackburn does however have a large export order for the B.28 bomber to Brazil.

*whistles innocently*

Saturday, March 26th 2011, 11:44am

September 24
The 1922 Committee sits to choose a new leader of the Conservative Party. The main candidates are;

Viscount Halifax, the favoured choice as the most senior man capable of fulfilling the role and rated as one of the best foreign secretaries of the twentieth century, yet he is viewed as being too old and conservative and lacking in public support.

Sir Howard Kingsley Wood, another stalwart of the conservative party Kingsley Wood has held many cabinet positions with success but some doubt his ability to lead effectively. However, he has a core of supporters within the Conservative party.

Anthony Eden, the youngest candidate and rapidly rising star of the Government who is marked as a future leader. Should the 1922 Committee decide for a younger and more radical choice then Eden may be the choice.

R.A. Butler, another very capable young politician but as yet without a distinguished Cabinet career but possibly a man to watch for the future.