You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Monday, February 2nd 2009, 12:26am

Quoted

Originally posted by Red Admiral
I'm not sure what you mean by ballast rocking tanks. Passive anti-rolling tanks should weigh about 2.5% of the displacement but take up a fair amount of the abovedecks space.

I learned about ballast rocking tanks when I started researching icebreakers. The idea, apparently, is that if an icebreaker gets stuck in ice, you flood the tanks with water or ballast in order to lean the ship from side, shifting the weight on the ice and breaking up a wider channel. The ideas started on some Baltic icebreakers and seemed to be common by 1902 with the Danish harbor icebreakers.

Obviously you don't want to be doing this in the Drake Passage, but if you want to use her as an icebreaker, that sounds like a bit of standard equipment.

Quoted

Originally posted by Commodore Green
I didn't get involved in the land grab myself
(Danes -Thanks, but it's white enough in winter at home!. Iberians - Snow, we don't do no stinking snow!"),
so no need here, but I have played with the idea,
but with no need, the tonnage went elsewhere!

Some navies have the option, some really don't. I simmed an 800-ton light icebreaker for Agent's use in Lithuania; that's a Baltic vessel based off some historic Finnish, Swedish and German designs we found. I bounced around a few ideas for Chile - all of them terribly expensive - before I hit upon the idea of a converted sealing/whaling vessel in this role. A modern sealer could have a bit of icebreaking capability, while it would still be a fairly small ship. I don't need to carry entire destroyers' worth of spare light weight around, nor do I need to clear ice for dreadnoughts; as I recall the Horn doesn't really ice in, but the southern fjords are more prone that. Vanguardia can clear enough ice for a destroyer to get in and out of a fjord, and she can wade into the Antarctic for expedition, patrol, or rescue work.

I must admit I have a quirky interest in ships that comprise a navy's "tail" - oceanic tugs, tenders, icebreakers (where applicable), crane ships, the works. The Chilean Navy is low on auxiliaries of all types, and I don't have any icebreakers at all. It might be an option to pick up a civilian and unarmed Vanguardia, brush her up in Armada de Chile paint, then arrange a comprehensive refit later to rebuild her to military specifications when I have a bit more cash to spend.

I think I'm going to do that. Chile ought to have a vessel of these capabilities already, but she doesn't; it will be added in time for winter.

Quoted

Originally posted by Hood
I must admit Argentina has often toyed with the idea of a similar ship. Even for patrolling Southern Seas such a vessel is very useful.

I agree. And remember, Chile's designs are free to allies, so if Argentina wants to use these plans, that's fine with me.

Monday, February 2nd 2009, 9:30am

Quoted

Obviously you don't want to be doing this in the Drake Passage, but if you want to use her as an icebreaker, that sounds like a bit of standard equipment.

If you do in antiphase with the wave motion you should cancel out a large part of the rocking motion. Probably around 60-70% in fact, with better results for comfort etc.

Monday, February 2nd 2009, 4:56pm

Hm, well, as long as the system doesn't break and leave you with a 30-degree list as you're wandering about down there. I'm not certain how fast this system is at changing the balance/rocking the ship, so I'm wary.

Monday, February 2nd 2009, 5:02pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Brockpaine
Hm, well, as long as the system doesn't break and leave you with a 30-degree list as you're wandering about down there. I'm not certain how fast this system is at changing the balance/rocking the ship, so I'm wary.

Then you just dump the water overboard and return to a normal state.